Monster python killed in South Florida

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest if they were a pest here and didn't have worms I might try one of those lol. I'm all for killing pests if they are causing damage to native wild life provided it is done in a humane manner.

They are a problem but not on the level of Cane Toads in Australia....or weasels in New Zealand. Like others have said Florida can get decently cold in the winter (alot more so than in South East Asia) and that helps to reduce numbers. Summer in Florida is very and present suitable climate through. I think they are hyped up in the media to be honest....They aren't that common.

Shame it had to be killed but it doesn't belong and thats the bottom line.
Don't count out evolution to make the problem worse in the future.

Pfft, Audtralians. Surprised you didn't have a VB in your hand and a ciggy in your mouth while driving home from the pub with your three kids in the back seat while you typed that up.
Australians love their stereotypes.

Sorry, but putting a whole country full of people in one group and looking at them in a certain way is one of the only things that really annoys me. Being a little more tolerant and a little less ignorant isn't a bad thing.

Yeah nah. It's AMERICA! Lolz.

Most alarming thing in the article to me was a knife wielding maniac stabbing things in the head...

This is a good point IMO. The media has a tendancy to "sensationalise" things either to make it look "really good" or make it look "really bad". I do agree that "pest" species need to be cotrolled/eradicated but why can't it be done in a humane way. These "pests" all have their own habitat where they aren't considered pests but thanks to some idiot human intervention they are now in areas where they shouldn't be, whether it be for the control of other species eg: introduction of cane toads to Australia, or just the simple fact that someone wanted a different/exotic pet.....they are now suffering the consequences. I'm no greenie and I'm not saying "we shouldn't kill them, it's not right"......I just think that whether we lik or dislike a species (cane toads, foxes, feral cats, burmese pyhtons etc) we should at least make an effort to stop the brutal killing of these species and attempt to support a more appropriate/humane form of control/eradication........the media plays too big a part in influencing what we believe to be right or wrong.......just saying. :)

Not quiet sure who this was a reference to however I wanted to clarify. I have NO ISSUES with removal and extermination of an invasive species. What I do have an issue with is the publicity given to this particular incident, wording such as MONSTER and started wrapping around his leg was simple fear mongering designed to make headlines, sell papers and make people go out and shoot/burn everything that moves. Anyhoo getting a little tired of this topic, not trying to change anyones opinion simply expressing my opinion in the hope that we wont see more stupid laws passed by the uneducated being educated by stuff like this being splashed all over the media.

I have no problem with the killing of this snake per se - it's an exotic and a big snake like this, if female (and it probably is), could add 60-80 more babies from just one clutch of eggs.

However, the big problem is that it feeds into the politically motivated US national clampdown on large constrictors, and stories like this just feed the effort to eliminate the keeping of large constrictors totally over time. Anti reptile pet lobbyists have influenced US politicians to put mechanisms in place which will just about put an end to the legal breeding and movement of these animals across state borders, and clearly this is intended to dry up the supply of big snakes over time - a fairly stealthy way of doing things, and a lot more clever than confiscating and destroying them over a shorter period of time.

All this because idiot keepers can't be trusted not to release animals they don't want, and some careless individuals allow themselves or their kids to be killed or injured by these animals. So everyone else pays the price. Interestingly, bees are responsible for a relatively huge number more deaths per annum, in the US and here, than snakes will ever cause.

Jamie

Jospythons & Pythoninfinite. Exactly my point, couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back