Moon snake question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiest

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey all

Can anybody tell me about the Orange Naped Snake/Moon Snake,Furina ornata in relation to its venom?. is it harmful to humans? or is it tool small or venom to weak.. does anyone know if its um.. bad to get bitten?

cheers

I believe thay have quiet weak venom and a bite can't kill you. Although other people will know alot more about them.

cheers Jono

anyone know if any symptoms occur?.. anything

My books are a little vague on this. They are suggesting that related species are OK, and that F.ornata is probably the same, but a big specimen might be of some concern.

I think Brodie was after some about 18 months ago - he might be able to tell you more. According to the NSW DEC records, no-one in NSW has them.

:p

Hix

i have these snakes here were i live and they have trouble biteing humans due to there mouth size they eat skinks and legless lizards not very strong venom i have not been bitten and have free handled a few.

Gday,

Ive kept these little tuckers for just over a year now and they are pretty interesting snakes!!

They actually have very neurotoxic venom which is very potent to humans. However, the size of the snake limits the venom yield so much that only very minor (if any) symptoms occur.

I have been bitten tens of times by these guys, but theyre cute lil' fangs dont break the skin!

Brode, do you have to feed yours skinks? Is it possible to get them onto pinkies/fuzzies?

i kept one of these for afew months, gorgeous little animal. i did get bitten by it once( to my knowledge anyway, i hardly noticed when it struck at me). im not sure if i was envenomated by it, but my finger was very tender and was slightly bruised around the bite site.

Hi Mate, Skinks only..

I have onl;y ever seen one that would be big enough to eat a pinkie and it was a very old skink!

Get them here quite a bit,never been bitten but they can be fiesty little buggas hehe they do the cobra pose looks cool on such a small anske.

Here's a pic of a gravid one i posted a while back they apparently vaary in colour a bit.

884e7951.jpg

re Moon

Looks like a kreffts dwarf or the related northern form browns but i cant see it to clear,the moon snake is not much different to a red nape from recollection.The cacophis found in atherton tablelands is little diff from a krefts dwarf IMO.

Yeah well would be noorthern form as it's from my yard :wink:

re Moon

BROWNS said:
Yeah well would be noorthern form as it's from my yard :wink:
LoLZ Yeh thats cool catching reptiles like that in your yard,my mothers yard in wollongong was always good for golden crowns and marsh snakes as well as blue tongues,heaps of she oak skinks and smaller skink species.Totally ridiculous that when the spare block at the back was mown down it killed more of those two snake species and she oaks than what is registered in whole of NSW list :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock:

I regularly come across these guys. So far i've found them to be extremely reluctant to bite or strike, and dont react badly when picked up or fussed around for photo's. We get them with goldy brown bodies and a fishnet type patterning on the edge of the scales. Would love to keep them someday, along with the suta sp.

Here's a close up.

Photo taken by Mike Alexander when we went herping one night last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back