Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coatesy

Reaction score
Just a quick question cos i am lost for the answer.
I am looking at mooving from cairns to perth and was trying to find out if i can take my snakes with me?? and if so has anyone done it and how does the climate change effect the snakes???
Any help would be great

You will not be allowed to import any reptiles into WA.

Jordo's right

W.A. have some pretty archaic laws. It's a shame. I will look after them for you if you like:lol: and pass off any profits fom breeding;)

As the others said, absolutely no pythons will be able to come over...Lizards, turts and elapids can, but only the ones on our licence over here....Even if i move over there and know the FULL background from egg to adult, i still couldnt bring them back...Thats one of the things stopping me from moving over there, incase i may one day want to move back...

Regards...
Ash...

To Perth ?? From Cairns ?? Good luck with that. It's flat and sandy and dry and windy and not so green. I did the same move and couldn't wait to get out of the place. :(

No you cant take your snakes with you unfortunately. Try and find out what reptiles and amphibians are on the WA license.

I am a Sandgroper, and if that is the case, I am never moving back to Perth ever! I will just stay here in SA. I want to keep my two MD's with me. Cheers Cheryl

So??? Even if you had a travelling bus set up with Python Enclosures, and your SA Basic Keep and Sell License, you could not take any Pythons into WA??? You are right, how ARCHAIC!!! Grrr!!!

So??? Even if you had a travelling bus set up with Python Enclosures, and your SA Basic Keep and Sell License, you could not take any Pythons into WA??? You are right, how ARCHAIC!!! Grrr!!!

Yep, it totally sux...I would love to move over to Cairns, then i can get alot of nice reptiles that arnt on our list, but then if i ever wanted to move back, i couldnt bring my current snakes back with me...

To Perth ?? From Cairns ?? Good luck with that. It's flat and sandy and dry and windy and not so green. I did the same move and couldn't wait to get out of the place. :(

Yep it's flat, sandy, windy and not so green.................but economically we're carrying the rest of the country and I'd be recommending the move here by anyone who has the opportunity...........we are in a resources boom that is a once in a lifetime opportunity :)

But you can't bring your snakes :(

Yes, you can export from WA. Doesn't come cheap though.

Might have worded the last post wrongly Sorry! I'm starting to get very confused here! So if I was in a bus all set up for our Pythons, they would not let us into WA?? That includes a Basic Keep and Sell License for SA? If that is the case, IT SUCKS!!! I really think that the States should start thinking about the Gray Nomads that travel, who have Reptiles in their caravans and buses etc?? Has anyone got any thoughts re this matter??? Cheers Cheryl

Unfortunately a bus wouldn't be allowed in WA if you had pythons.

There is a complete ban on pythons being brought into WA - regardless of the length of stay. Geoff Coombe from SA bought a couple of elapids in into WA last year to run a course, but wasn't allowed to bring pythons.

Apparently it's to reduce the chance of IBD etc being introduced.......even though there have already been cases here.

Nope your snakes wont be allowed in, even if you have a "travelling bus" type setup...

You can keep your herp diseases over in the east ;) Its true we have had cases over here, but the more movement of pythons that occurs, the bigger the problem could potentially get. The industry is still new in WA, i dont see any great need to bring pythons in for a few years yet.

If done correctly with appropriate quarantine i dont have a problem with snakes coming into WA, but it cant be to the detriment of our native stocks and captive ones for that matter.

Jordan

Welcome to Perth, herp laws aside, it's pretty awesome :D
Here's a list of what you're able to keep here:

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Category 1 [/FONT]No species.

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Category 2[/FONT]
Egernia napoleonis South-Western Crevice Egernia
Gehyra variegata Tree Dtella
Heteronotia binoei Binoe’s Gecko
Litoria caerulea Northern Green Tree Frog
Litoria moorei Western Green Tree Frog
Pogona minor minor Western Bearded Dragon
Strophurus ciliaris Northern Spiny-tailed Gecko
Strophurus spinigerus South-west Spiny-tailed Gecko
Tiliqua multifasciata Centralian Bluetongue
Tiliqua occipitalis Western Bluetongue
Tiliqua rugosa rugosa Bobtail

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Category 3[/FONT]
Antaresia stimsoni Stimson’s Python
Chelodina oblonga Oblong Tortoise
Ctenophorus reticulates Western Netted Dragon
Egernia kingii King Skink
Litoria splendida Magnificent Tree Frog
Morelia spilota imbricata South-western Carpet Python
Nephrurus levis Three-lined Knob-tailed Gecko
Oedura marmorata Marbled Velvet Gecko
Underwoodisaurus milii Thick-tailed Gecko
Varanus caudolineatus Stripe-tailed Pygmy Monitor

Category 4
Aspidites melanocephalus Black-headed python
Aspidites ramsayi Woma Python
Chelodina steindachneri Flat-shelled Turtle
Chlamydosaurus kingi Frilled Lizard
Heleioporus albopunctatus Western Spotted Frog
Lophognathus longirostris Long-nosed Ta-ta Dragon
Varanus acanthurus Ridge-tailed Monitor
Varanus brevicauda Short-tailed Pygmy Monitor
Varanus tristis tristis Black-tailed Monitor

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Category 5[/FONT]
Acanthopis antarcticus Southern Death Adder
Acanthopis pyrrhus Desert Death Adder
Acanthopis wellsi Pilbara Death Adder
Liasis olivaceus Olive Python
Notechis scutatus Tiger Snake
Pseudechis australis Mulga Snake
Pseudechis butleri Spotted Mulga Snake
Pseudonaja affinis affinis Dugite
Pseudonaja nuchalis Gwardar
Varanus gouldii Gould’s Monitor
Varanus rosenbergi Southern Heath Monitor

Yes, it is sposed to help prevent the diseases that are over east, and yes there are cases of those diseases over here...The IMHO and in the opinion of my local DEC officers and also a few others (including well known ppl) the whole reason for this law and many of our other herp laws is simply so that DEC can keep power over the ppl...

Yeah others have said.. cant take herps over to WA....

I am currently Babysitting an Atherton Python for a friend who has gone to WA temporarily.... And he was told he couldnt take the snake with him....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back