Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Here are a few pics from areas near Wollongong. I visited the hills above Wollongong, Carrington Falls and Dharawal in the last couple of weeks. The weather has been pretty good with mostly warm days and a little rain.

The hills above Wollongong are covered with wet eucalyptus woodland. The forest is thick and gullies often contain subtropical rainforest with lots of palms.
habitat_12Oct_5.jpg

Along the top of the escarpment, I often see Eastern Small-eyed Snakes (Crytophis nigrescens) beneath tin and other debris. These little elapids are the most common species of snake around Wollongong.
smalleyed11Oct_2.jpg

... I saw young on a couple of occasions. These were both tiny, only about 15cm in length but both defended themselves vigorously. This one would rear, feint strikes and pose nicely.
smalleyed11Oct_1a.jpg

smalleyed11Oct_1.jpg

Eastern Blue-tongues (Tiliqua scincoides) are out in numbers. This one was in the hills but my son found a large one in our backyard a few days ago. I was not home but it sounds like it would have made a good photo with its threat display directed at my dogs.
bluetongue11Oct_1.jpg

bluetongue11Oct_2.jpg

I have visited Dharawal (20 minutes drive) on a couple of occasions. Spring flowers are beginning to wane but there are still some nice ones to be seen.
habitat_12Oct_1.jpg

habitat_12Oct_2.jpg

flower_pea_12Oct_1.jpg

flower_bauria1.jpg

... red spiderflower (a Grevillea).
flower_grevillea_12Oct.jpg

Frogs are out in good numbers. One of my favourites is the beautiful Blue Mountains Tree Frog (Litoria citropa). At night, the males call from rocks along the creek.
citropa3Oct_2.jpg

citropa3Oct_1.jpg

... this citropa had an unusually large amount of green on it.
citropa3Oct_3.jpg

citropa3Oct_4.jpg

Females are not so brightly coloured. Here was an unusual situation ... a male Lesueur's Frog (Litoria lesueuri) amplexant with a female Blue Mountains Tree Frog.
citropa3-1.jpg

A mixed group of tadpoles. I assume that most of these would be the young of L. citropa.
citropa_tadpoles.jpg

Male Lesueur's Frogs (Litoria lesueuri) were also numerous on the rocks but not quite as common as L. citropa.
lesueur3Oct_1.jpg

lesueur3.jpg

lesueur1.jpg

Peron's Tree Frogs (Litoria peronii) are definitely the noisiest frog near the creek.
perons1a.jpg

I am not certain but I think that this is a Common Eastern Froglet (Crinia signifera). It was a tiny frog with a surprising loud "crick" call.
crinia1-1.jpg

I also have visited Carrington Falls (40min drive) a couple of times. This is rocky gorge country. The area just above the falls is always good for a variety of reptiles and flowers in the spring.
habitat_13Oct_2.jpg

habitat_13Oct_1.jpg

members of Epacridaceae:
flower_13Oct_1.jpg

epacris11Oct_1.jpg

Rock Orchids are in full flower at the moment. Their growth form reminds me a little of vanilla pods.
rockOrchid11Oct_1.jpg

rockOrchid11Oct_2.jpg

rockOrchid11Oct_4.jpg

Carrington Falls is a good place to see Black Rock Skinks (Egernia saxatilis). Here is a cooperative juvenile:
blackRock_13Oct_2a-1.jpg

blackRock_13Oct_3.jpg

... and a much more wary adult:
blackRock_13Oct_4-1.jpg

Eastern Water Skinks are abundant (Eulamprus quoyii).
waterskink11Oct_1.jpg

waterSkink_13Oct_1.jpg

There are a few Eastern Water Dragons (Physignathus lesueurii) along the river but they are shy and hard to photograph.
waterDragon_13Oct_1-1.jpg

I think that this is a female Lesueur's Tree Frog.
frog_13Oct_2.jpg

Regards,
David

Love the pics of the frogs and the small eyed. looks like some really good places around Wollongong. I went for a walk around the Mt Kiera area last week but didnt manage to find to much. Will have to head back down that way again soon i think.

Great photos David, that nearly all green citropa looks great. Haven't seen any like that in the wild yet. The photo of the lesueuri and citropa amplexing is good as well, its funny seeing male frogs making mistakes with their partners.

Aaron

Great photos David, that nearly all green citropa looks great. Haven't seen any like that in the wild yet. The photo of the lesueuri and citropa amplexing is good as well, its funny seeing male frogs making mistakes with their partners.

Aaron
LOL

wondering if any off-spring would happen.

i notice one of your carrington shots meant disregarding this sign...

Attachments

• highlands.jpg
    highlands.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 194
Thanks, all, for the feedback. I have never yet seen a Lace Monitor at Dharawal but the habitat looks good.

I went up the hill for a couple of hours this morning and saw several snakes. These included more Eastern Small-eyed Snakes beneath tin but also a Red-bellied Black Snake and a Marsh Snake that were both sunning. Unfortunately, they saw me and raced away before I could take a photo.

These little skinks were on the hill and they no doubt are prey items of the smaller elapids like the Eastern Small-eyed Snake and Marsh Snake.

Weasel Skink (Saproscincus mustelinus)
weasel1.jpg

Highlands Forest Skink (Anepischtos maccoyi)
maccoyi1.jpg

Three-toed Skink (Saiphos equalis)
Saiphos.jpg

In addition to these, there are four other common species of small skinks on the hill.

Here are a couple of other spring flowers:
matchSticks1.jpg

pea1.jpg

Regards,
David

WOW n BEAUTIFUL pix!
Our family is off to visit the gong and you have pointed out some things to lookat n for!
Thanku for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back