Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Dharawal is a great place for frogs. I visited the park a number of time between late August and November and saw a variety of frogs. I believe that there are many others present that I did not encounter. Please feel free to offer corrections if my identifications are not accurate.

First, a few habitat shots above Maddens Falls.
habitat30.jpg

habitat2.jpg

habitat1.jpg

habitat3.jpg

Blue Mountains Tree Frog (Litoria citropa). These are a stunning species and one of my favourites. They seemed to be common early in the season.
blueMtnTree1.jpg

blueMtnTree10.jpg

blueMtnTree3.jpg

blueMtnTree4.jpg

blueMtnTree5.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/moloch05/Dharawal/Oct2007/blueMtnTree6.jpg[/mg]

[IMG]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c386/moloch05/Dharawal/Oct2007/citropa1.jpg

I think this to be a Jervis Bay Tree Frog (Litoria jervisiensis):
jb2.jpg

jb1b.jpg

Peron's Tree Frog (Litoria peroni) -- its loud call made it one of the most conspicuous frogs of the area
perons3a.jpg

perons2.jpg

perons4.jpg

perons5.jpg

Green Stream Frog (Litoria phyllochroa) -- I saw few in the Dharawal area.
phyllochroa1.jpg

LeafGreen2-1.jpg

leafGreen2.jpg

leafGreen1.jpg

I think that this is a Verreaux's Tree Frog (Litoria verreauxi)
jb4.jpg

jb3.jpg

Stoney Creek Frogs (Litoria wilcoxi).
wilcox3-1.jpg

wilcox3.jpg

wilcox2.jpg

wilcox1.jpg

I think this to be an Eastern Common Froglet (Crinia signifera).
crinia1.jpg

... mum, dad and the kids
crinia2a.jpg

I heard Eastern Banjo Frogs or Pobblebonks (Limnodynastes dumerili) calling when I visited at night but I could not locate them. I did find a couple the during the day as I walked along the creek bank. These frogs are well-named and their call sounds much like a single pluck of a banjo string. The colour phase at Dharawal was drab but in some places, they can be nicely marked with patches of yellow and red.
pobblebonk3.jpg

An interesting find was this Freshwater Crayfish that was foraging in a pool below Madden's Falls. This was the biggest of the crustaceans in the creek and it had a body length of about 20 cm .
cray2.jpg

cray1.jpg

... smaller animals were more common
yabbie.jpg

Dog Rose, a common steamside plant
baueria1.jpg

Regards,
David

it really is a great spot for frogs... somewhere i have seen mention of the number of frog species...might be on an info sign there....
did you see the grinding grooves on the rocks in your travels?

Righto, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the phyllachroa are meant to be an intermediate between phyllachroa and nudidigita...

I'm pretty sure the wilcoxi you get there have lovely blue legs so are therefore lesueuri.

Everything else looked ok.

There's a heap of other frogs you get down there in that area. It's a great spot!

-H

Righto, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the phyllachroa are meant to be an intermediate between phyllachroa and nudidigita...

-H

Really?? they have a intergrade zone for them now????hahahahaha ;) Damb splitters.. I spoke to Ken about them, he said they were phyllachroa at Darkies....have they been throwing them in the blender?

These Banjo's were all found around Maddens Falls, they are very variable.

Attachments

• Banjo.jpg
    Banjo.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 69
  • Banjo1.jpg
    Banjo1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Banjo2.jpg
    Banjo2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 75
  • banjo3.jpg
    banjo3.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 75
Nice ones David, the citropa and phyllochroa are great looking frogs. Going to be a long cold winter, looks like a bit of frogging is the go.

Cheers
Jordan

Great photos! Anyone know what the little jelly looking parasite things on the crayfish's claws are?

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

I am glad that you have added some of your pics from Dharawal, Jason. Do you have more?

Jack,
I have a photo of the sign but so far, I haven't relocated it. I believe that there are something like 24 species of frogs known from the reserve.

I have not noticed the grinding groves ... but I am not so observant of such things. I would probably walk right by them.

Henry,
Do you have a link to a website with the latest frog classifications?

Jordan,
We have some nice frogs here, but it is pretty hard to beat some of those in the west like this one from Cape Le Grand:
spotThighed3.jpg

Angus,
Can you see the parasites in my photos? If so, I must be blind!

Regards,
David

More??? I have tons... ;). I couldn't see them on your cray either, but they will be there, all large crays have them.

Attachments

• citropa3.jpg
    citropa3.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 72
  • citropa2.jpg
    citropa2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 91
  • perons1.jpg
    perons1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 88
  • phyllochroa.jpg
    phyllochroa.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Perons.jpg
    Perons.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 71
They are the tiny little red jelly like things on the claws, as Jason has stated they are apparently branchiobdellidae - your knowledge amazes me!

I always wondered what they were, i have found some similar crayfish in the past that have had hundreds of them.

Again amazing photos David - do your field expeditions (which always seem spectacular!) inspire you to keep frogs as well as reptiles at home?

more...

Attachments

• F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 49
  • F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 48
  • F3.jpg
    F3.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 70
  • F4.jpg
    F4.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 54
  • F7.jpg
    F7.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 49
Oh my.. what a beautiful place!

That green and silver frog from Cape Le Grand is amazing!

Great pictures!

Man i have tried for ages to identify a crayfish near my area of Glenhaven in Sydney's west. He's huge now, the size of a medium lobster and his nippers are twice the size of the one you saw but for ages i thought it was a yabby or a lobster so thanks for helping me see what it finnaly was. Love your shots.

and some more

Attachments

• FD4.jpg
    FD4.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 55
  • FD3.jpg
    FD3.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 48
  • F10.jpg
    F10.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 55
  • FD1.jpg