More substrate than Rat!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvez

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have Pythons that seem to get more substrate in there mouth than actual food? :shock:

I usually put a piece of newspaper down and feed on that. Have never had a problem with substrate in the mouth doing it this way.

Dry food and make sure you have an easily digested substrate such at kork

I usually put a piece of newspaper down and feed on that. Have never had a problem with substrate in the mouth doing it this way.

I do the same, I have fake grass anyway but doing this keeps the cage a lot cleaner. I'll also cover the fake grass again a few days later for when it comes out. lol This works for me and it works well.

I have the shredded coconut substrate all natural, it's funny watching them for like 10 mins after trying to get the **** out of their mouth cause its all stuck :p! I try to leave my rats a bit wetter so they stay properly hydrated :)

Mine sometimes get some cocopeat in their mouths as a result of it sticking to wet food items. I still try to dry it off as much as I can before feeding though just in case.
But it's never much really and has never caused them a problem. In the wild I'd imagine they would consume far worse along with their prey
As far as hydration goes for them though, they usually sit in their water bowls after a feed anyway.

Ice cream lid + rat = less or no substrate to the PWR x 10

My lot smash the tucker out of my hand before it could get to the floor of the enclosure :shock: then coil it so you can nearly not even see it (they prolly think I might try to take it back off them):lol: My bredli usually coils it and eats it hanging from her branch (should have called her hoover)

Maybe a carpet tile (say 300x300) in there while it is eating, then remove the tile? I dont like the idea of it having stuff in its mouth...... it has no toung to push it out so it might end up staying there (some of it) so good you asked this question. Lots of good advice so far :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ice cream lid + rat = less or no substrate to the PWR x 10

Thats just your excuse to eat the ice cream... :lol:

This is how I've always fed mine, just picked up an 8 month old Bredli and she seems fine with it as well. Big tub with newspaper in the bottom, once the food is down and shes back to moving around, back to her enclosure she goes.

What about the theory that you shouldnt handle a snake for 3 days after feeding it because you risk the snake regurgitating its food? ;)

Welcome to APS :)

:lol:...yes, and true. I'm not sure if lifting from tub to enclosure, all of a meter, qualifies, but if regurgitation/irritation occurs I will certainly modify my technique for sure. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back