Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

S&M Morelia

Reaction score
Hey all, I was taking a few pictures of our mixed species morelia and thought I'd share.

First - 50% Diamond x Bredli - Female
5748821462_d8fb5e9ea5.jpg

Second - 50% Diamond x Jungle - Male
5748821472_db8a0d2e15.jpg

Third - 50% Diamond x Coastal - Male
5748821468_3aa441bf95.jpg

Fourth - 50% Coastal x Darwin -Male (this picture was taken a few weks ago though)
5667353680_20f34c3ba9.jpg

Fifth - 50% Coastal x Darwin -Female (this picture was taken a few weks ago though)
5667353674_1aeb470643.jpg

Sixth - 50% Diamond x Jungle - Female (this picture was taken a number of months ago)
5411687724_4f194207fb.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

If you have nothing but hate for these and wish to degrade this thread, please send it via PM instead of posting it here.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
They look cool, did you breed these yourself?

Just out of curiosity, if you did breed these...

If you crossed two types of morelia, would that have any affect on future clutches with pure pairings?

Not a hater, just curious ;)

What I do like about crossing snakes is you can never really pick what you're gonna get. For example, if you bred a classic Bredli to a Classic Bredli, you're most likely going to get a Classic Bredli. But with a Diamond cross Bredli, the variation is what interests me.

Out if curiosity what temps do you keep your diamond cross snakes at. They look cool but just wondering as bredli is hot climate and diamond is cold. Do you just use a temp in between the two. Cheers Daniel

The Coastal x Darwins look pretty interesting. Almost caramel Jag colouring. Do you have any adults or are these your first?

just a question, how do you find the temperments compared with the "pure" animals? also (please correct me if i am wrong) i believe diamonds are the only python that needs uv lighting, do you find this applicable with a diamond x? thanks for posting the pics!

If you crossed two types of morelia, would that have any affect on future clutches with pure pairings?

Not a hater, just curious ;)
Not too sure exactly what you're asking here but will try and answer it as best I can.
What I think your asking is, if I put a male hybrid with a pure female 1 season then the following season paired the pure female with a pure male of the same sub-species, would that have any effect on what is produced?
If thats what your asking, my answer would be no, it shouldn't.

Out if curiosity what temps do you keep your diamond cross snakes at. They look cool but just wondering as bredli is hot climate and diamond is cold. Do you just use a temp in between the two. Cheers Daniel
Hi, thats a good question. What I do is provide the animal with a temp gradient as I would with any other species. Both animals need to get their body temps to a certain temp to live a healthy life.
All my animals get 32-34 degrees hot spot and the cool side is usually room temp (around 20-25 degrees)
As long as they can get away from the heat they are fine.
Of course this is just my way of doing things.

The Coastal x Darwins look pretty interesting. Almost caramel Jag colouring. Do you have any adults or are these your first?
Those were bred by Jungle_Freak. PM myself or Jungle_Freak if you want more info.

just a question, how do you find the temperments compared with the "pure" animals?
Temperments....I think each snake has its own temperment. So its a bit hard to comment on that one.
also (please correct me if i am wrong) i believe diamonds are the only python that needs uv lighting, do you find this applicable with a diamond x? thanks for posting the pics!
UV debate is still yet to be proven in my opinion.
Personally I provide natual light through windows and a main light in the room. None of this will provide UV and I haven't had a problem from not providing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, what price tag would you puy on a DiamondXJungle? PythonRob stated that purebreds will always be more expensive, but even high quality animals are down in price atm, so there will always be the risk of a cross bred like that being bred back to a 100% Jungle or Diamond to create something spectacular and passed as a "pure" species. I think therein lies a risk.

hybrids are awesome...
I borrowed this pic of snakehouse... love these things
250388_121674527915937_100002201713160_174346_7539768_n.jpg

thats a 75% GTP Carpondro. Could be anything from a coastal to a jungle

.. But does your milkshake bring all the boys to the yard? ;)

I'm quite fond of them, just as I'm fond of 'pure' animals too.

Not too sure exactly what you're asking here but will try and answer it as best I can.
What I think your asking is, if I put a male hybrid with a pure female 1 season then the following season paired the pure female with a pure male of the same sub-species, would that have any effect on what is produced?
If thats what your asking, my answer would be no, it shouldn't.

Pretty much what I was asking :) Thanks.

I think it is cool that there are people doing it, I would love to see what a high yellow diamond or striped coastal thrown over a hypo Bredli would look like, but I doubt there's anyone willing to try it with snakes so beautiful already :(

Wow. Have they called that one Grapefruit? Amazing what they can do. I'll have to research it more, see how many lines it takes to achieve these traits.

I was not going to say anything on this thread, but I can't help myself.

Nice snakes Shaun, obviously not the best yet but you are working on a future breeding program with them to enable them to become more available to fanciers of pretty snakes.

There will allways be the purist & there will be the fancier, it is the same with all animals bred for the pet trade. Look at how far the genetics have come in the last 20 years with the bird trade.

I will bet you that most breeders in the bird trade could not even tell you the original genetic background of a lot of the different coloured stuff on the market today. Maybe I am wrong, but where there is a demand for something brighter,bigger,better there will allways be a demand for something NEW.

Anyway Good Luck
Ian

Just out of curiosity, what price tag would you puy on a DiamondXJungle? PythonRob stated that purebreds will always be more expensive, but even high quality animals are down in price atm, so there will always be the risk of a cross bred like that being bred back to a 100% Jungle or Diamond to create something spectacular and passed as a "pure" species. I think therein lies a risk.
I will not say what I paid for these crosses or what I would sell them for here, but if people are interested, you are more than welcome to PM me.
There is always a risk that people will sell things as something else for for a quick dollar. Not just in the reptile pet trade but in anything that involves money.
It does get harder to identify what species are in a particular animal once the percentage of one particular side of it increases over 75% and this is why we will be issuing a certificate stating whats in the animal and what was its background etc.
This mightn't keep everyone honest, but it is there and we are doing our best to make sure our animals are sold for what they are.

Pretty much what I was asking :) Thanks.

I think it is cool that there are people doing it, I would love to see what a high yellow diamond or striped coastal thrown over a hypo Bredli would look like, but I doubt there's anyone willing to try it with snakes so beautiful already :(
No worries. We do have something in the making for a hypo bredli, but not being a simple gentic trait, it will be a couple of generations before we reach our goal for that one.

I do appreciate the hybrid animals shown in this post and may even aquire a good looking hybrid in the future. They are not really my flavour at the moment the reason is I am still building a collection of pure animals. I still have numerous species which I find desireable on my wish list eg GTP, Antaresia Perthensis and if they become available space/funds permitting an Oenpelliensis.

I like the idea of preserving pure native type blood lines but also believe there is a place for the good looking morph in the captive environment.

If it brings more people to the hobby then why not? There will always be the keeper that wants a pure animal and also keepers who will buy a hybrid because of its looks.

The thing that is of concern to me is we are shown photos of amazing looking animals but never the ones that didn't quite turn out as planned which I can imagine there are many. Could be a thread starter 'show us your breeding projects that went wrong' if someone is game.

Regards
Octane
Thanks for your post Octane. Your views are relevant and you can tell you have actually put thought into them.
As for your concern, yeah alot of people put up their best pictures of their projects, but this doesn't just apply to hybrids, take RP jungle projects, you always see the brightest most RP animal they produced, hardly ever the ones that didn't turn out as expected.
Please don't take that the wrong way, Im not having a stab at you, just stating what I have seen.

I was not going to say anything on this thread, but I can't help myself.

Nice snakes Shaun, obviously not the best yet but you are working on a future breeding program with them to enable them to become more available to fanciers of pretty snakes.

There will allways be the purist & there will be the fancier, it is the same with all animals bred for the pet trade. Look at how far the genetics have come in the last 20 years with the bird trade.

I will bet you that most breeders in the bird trade could not even tell you the original genetic background of a lot of the different coloured stuff on the market today. Maybe I am wrong, but where there is a demand for something brighter,bigger,better there will allways be a demand for something NEW.

Anyway Good Luck
Ian
Thanks Ian.
There is definitely a place in the hobby for the mixer and the purist as you say.
I keep and breed both, and will always sell them for what they are.

Thanks everyone for your comments and concerns.
The more that is talked about the hybrids the more these concerns can be put to rest or at least bring the concerns down to a level where each person is a bit more at ease.

How is a jungle x diamond a intergrade.

Hi Ryan,
The way I see it, hybrids are matings of animals of different species.
Intergrade was a term given to matings of different sub-species .

I believe there is a difference between the term intergrade being used for the sub-species matings and the natural intergrades such as the Port Mac locality carpet pythons.

Cheers.

I had thought that 'intergrade' was used for naturally occurring populations where the edge of two species distribution overlaps, resulting one or more populations that contain a mix of alleles from both species. Any deliberate breeding done in captivity of two different species or subspecies would be a different thing.

Lambert linked to the FAQ, but actually go have a read of it. I don't think it gets it right when it gives examples, and it's not easy to read.

Heres some definitions to mull over .

Intergrade = In Australia this usually refers to the Carpet pythons from localities or intergrade zones that are found between known Diamond python and Carpet python populations. IE Port macs etc .

Intra Specific Intergrades = are usually the result of a breeding between different sub species either by captive breeding "Jungle x Diamond" or in nature where there is sub species overlap in their natural enviroment . .

OR when the same species from different localities are bred together .
IE NT Water python bred to a QLD Water python .

Technically all the above are Hybrids.

But in laymans definitions ?
Intergrades are port macs and Hybrids are Woma x Diamond type cross breeding .

Carpet python to Carpet python is still a Carpet python.
My 2 cents worth.

I agree with jungle freak. A carpet to carpet isn't a hybrid. And at the end of the day it's up to the individual to choose what he/she likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back