Morphs

Discussion in 'General Reptile Discussion' started by Antsnest, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antsnest

Antsnest Not so new Member

hi guys I'm really confused about this whole genetics business. My main question is, can a new morph be made through breeding? For example can you continuously breed for dark colours untill they are melanistic or is it a small chance of breeding where you might be lucky and get a melanistic reptile? I understand the different types of genetic traits but yeah just curious as to how a morph is made. Thanks

2. kittycat17

kittycat17 Well-Known Member

Your talking about line breeding there and no it won't make it a new morph :)

Morphs can pop up through line breeding but not in the way your talking about :) say breeding 2 darwins together and popping out an albino, you can't line breed for albinos but animals carrying the gene for it can produce it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pinefamily and Antsnest like this.
  3. Yellowtail

Yellowtail Well-Known Member

Kitty cat is right, If you line breed dark coloured animals you will progressively get darker ones and after many generations some may almost have Hypermalanistic appearance but they will not be hypermalanistic just as line breeding light colours will not produce an albino or a hypomalanastic. A good example of this are very good line bred black and white julattens that have no visible brown but that does not make them axanthic.
    Morphs can occur spontaneously from parents that have no visible traits and "Hets" carry recessive morph genetics without any visible indication.

kittycat17 and pinefamily like this.
  4. Antsnest

Antsnest Not so new Member

Ok so basically a morph for eg marbled children's python was probably produced from 2 normals?

5. Prof_Moreliarty

Prof_Moreliarty Well-Known Member

Correct. ^

6. Yellowtail

Yellowtail Well-Known Member

Of course I meant melanastic, for some reason big brother changes it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.