Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Following on from Pinkies little survey....what are the most overrated and most underrated snakes:

For me: Most overrated Green Tree Python, hangs there and after the colour change its green!

Most underrated: Black Headed Pythons.....man they look just freaky :lol:

Cheers Hawkeye

I would follow the general consensus so far and state the most overrated as the GTP, but offer me one very cheaply, and I will soon swing my opinion :lol:
the underrated, hmmm, diamond (greg), Atherton jungle, everyone wants the blk. and yellow. and the murray darling often gets called "just a black and grey snake"

overrated would have to be the gtp although it is a beautiful snake, it is too expensive.

underrated I agree with tony and say the murray darling, they are very nice snakes, not exceptional to look at but they have great placid natures and their patterning is very nice.

Having personally seen 4 of the supposed 6 or so GTP legally held in captivity.I think they are truly awesome looking.Yes overrated,over priced,do nothing all day but hang around and all the rest of it but still up there in the looks dept. The most overrated as I've said in a different thread is the Diamond and one of the most underrated I agree with Tony and say the Murray Darling.

I'll have to choose 2 of each.....
Overrated 1/ GTP 2/ Woma
Underrated 1/BHP 2/ Coastal Carpet

You might think the Coastal choice is a bit strange, but how many ppl here got them as a first snake and lost interest when they could "Afford" a different snake.....Lot's that I've seen. I still like them

Overrated = Woma, Childrens
Underrated = Red Bellies, Coastals

Womas are way too expensive for what they are. Childrenis everyone seeks out as their first snake which I reckon is a load of BS.

Red bellies are beautiful and graceful, I think being venomous puts people off. Coastals for the same reasons as Ben.

Not sure if you meant only Aussie snakes, but I would say the Royal python as overrated, and the Scrub Python as underrated.
Moses

Over-ratedGTP - going to agree with the majority. They lack of activity is probably the only reason though.

UnderatedRed Belly Black - I love these guys. They quitened down so quickly too. A friend of mine Hamish was studying them at the time, and it took two weeks before a large male was tame enough to sit around his neck. They have gorgeous colours and I prefer elapids to any other snake.

I think the GTP is the most overrated. And I have 2 murray darlings that I feel are underated, beaut temprement

I must agree with the majority and say that the green tree pythons are very overrated. They are spectactular as hatchlings but as adults they are just green with some white specks down their spine.

As for underated I'm not really too sure. Murray Darlings are great looking snakes and they dont seem to have gotten much recognition as the other carpets.

i reckon the most overated snakes are diamond pythons and woma pythons and the most underated i reckon would be red bellies and coastal carpets

i recon the most overated are the red headed womas because they are ugly looking things.the yellow ones are cool.
the most underated in my opinion would have to be the pygmy python because out of all the pythons this one is talked about the least.

Most over rated snake has to be the burmese python... They suck as pets...
and the most under rated snake I would have to say is the corn snake.... They make great pets and nobody wants one once they can buy somthing different... They also come in as many colors as cars...
Eric aka....Red

Over rated - Probably the diamond, common as muck, don't do a lot and really, if they weren't bright yellow, in most cases the patterning is nothing special. There are some exceptions but the quality of diamonds in captivity in Aus is nothing special.

Under rated - Colubrids in general. Much more active than most pythons, also active during the day with some fantastic colours and patterns.

Isn't it funny that we all have put down the GTP as the most overrated.....But at the drop of a hat we would all accept one as a gift or probably buy one if we had the money, I know I would.
just beacause it's overrated doesn't mean I don't want one.... :wink:

the more I thought about this, the more i swung to the common ole carpet as an underrated snake. You could own 10 of them, and everyone would possibly be a different colour and pattern, what other species of snake has that many naturally occuring variants?
and notice, I said natural!!!!

I agree with Green Tree Python as most over rated, I think there are a few under rated snakes. As already said, red bellies are fantastic, i also dont think you couldnt get a better large python than an olive.

I don't think the GTP is over rated at all.
I think it is highly overpriced but that's just due to supply and demand.
If it wasn't one of the best snakes in Australia (and it is) it wouldn't cost so much.
According to NSW NPWS there are more GTP's being kept than scrubbies - $5000 compared to $300. I know those numbers don't diferenciate between adults and hatchlings and most of the GTP's are not at breeding age yet, but still a valid point I think.
They are (and still will be when they only cost $250 each) one of the best looking pythons able to be kept in Aus.
Yeah, they do just hand around but at least it's usually on a branch where you can see them, not in a box.

This is my opinion, if you disagree, you are wrong.... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back