most RARE and COMMAN snakes in the world

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

python_guy44

Reaction score
Hey all, i was wondering if anyone new the most comman and rare snakes in the entire world....I was thinking maybe the rough scaled python as rarest but i really arent sure....can anyone help..
Thanks

Cheers,
:D Jeremy :D

well watchin snake wranglers ages ago, there was a small colubrid species which lives in the tree tops in Asia and was only known from one previous speciimen. dont know if its the rarest though. Also I think the RSP is rarest pythons in OZ and possibly the world. Where I live childreni and common tree snakes are the most common :).
Cheers

i know the one you are talking about brodie, its the one that had all the tics on it ay?
and yeah the RSP 'is one of the most rarest snakes in australia'
but i am not sure if its actually the rarest.

cheers
charles

According to the Guiness Book of Records, the worlds rarest snake is the St. Lucia Racer.
It is estimated that there are only 100 of this species of snake.It is found on the island of St Lucia in the Caribbean.
An interesting fact is that is eats mainly lizards.One of these lizards also happens to be the worlds rarest lizard.

One of the rarest boids in the world is the 'Round island boa' (Casarea dussumieri ) from Mauritus.
There is another thought to be rarer, but that is now thought that it might well be extinct, that was the Cropan's boa (Corallua cropani), there are only now 3 specimens of them, and they are dead in Jars, who knows someone might be lucky enough to find one and prove everyone wrong about their status.

As was discussed on another tread previously, the Rough Scaled python (M.carinata) isn't as rare as you think, just isolated and hard to find, it's only listed on Cites as appendix 2, which means they don't consider it in danger of becoming extinct or threatened. All Boids are appendix 2, apart from the ones on appendix 1, and no Aussie Boids are on that list as yet !!

NCHERPS

Rough scale pythons would have to be close, last time i heard there had only been 4or5 ever found in the wild. These have since been bred in captivity at the austraian reptile park.
You would have to think corn snakes would be one of the most common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back