Most realistic rock you have ever seen....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a rock wall I think even you will like snowman, will be 900x900 taken from natural rock.

heres a small hide I done playing with some colours.
Nice work! I look forward to seeing more multi coloured fake rocks. Keep them coming and inspire those that say it can't be done.

. Speaking on behalf of the majority here who use render, the landscaping detail and colour you have outlined is not possible with polystyrene and render so to live up to your "realistic" standards as you said, latex or fiberglass would have to be used
you can get more detail than just flat rocks though , heres one i made using the same method and i like to think i managed to get a decent amount of detail into it i just completely stuffed up the painting , i was aiming for something like the real orange one snowman posted but kinda stuffed it up , i tried getting in some subtle changes but they stayed way to subtle and you barely notice them

snowman , i completely agree with what your saying and thanks for the photos they will come in handy , as you can see from mine i too have a mono toned wall , which i why i have chosen not to make anymore directly into the enclosure until im happy with what i can produce

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 243
I think the most unrealist part of some of the diy backgrounds is the fact people are using paint. Paint itself comes in colours that are very unnatural, the selection of paints needs to be choosen wisely. Oche, browns and a few other colours look natural but once you add a few coats you take away from the texture of the render. This is why i choose to just use a sandstone oxide in my render and not paint it, i thought it came out looking alot better then if i had added paint.
e7ere7aj.jpg

ymeqy9e7.jpg

6yny9aqa.jpg

I would love to use fiberglass to do a background but it is very messy to work with an could possible give you sharper edgers then if using render, it is alot quicker to sculpt a background using fiberglass though and i will be attempting a bigger one using it (1400h x 900w).

Rick

At the end of the day the backgrounds are for our benefit. The animals don't care if its blank melamine with shelves or a decorated fake rock. They will act the same with both.

I'd have to disagree with you here. The more realistic and natural an enclosure is, the less stressed the reptile will feel inside. If you have a dull, basic setup, the reptile may get bored, and develop zoochosis behavior. I'd imagine reptiles are probably one of the least affected groups of animals but nevertheless it is important. I think the Southern Angle-headed Dragons need flowing water in their enclosure for example, otherwise they keel over and die.

I'd have to disagree with you here. The more realistic and natural an enclosure is, the less stressed the reptile will feel inside. If you have a dull, basic setup, the reptile may get bored, and develop zoochosis behavior. I'd imagine reptiles are probably one of the least affected groups of animals but nevertheless it is important. I think the Southern Angle-headed Dragons need flowing water in their enclosure for example, otherwise they keel over and die.[/QUO

Zoochosis and angle heads keeling over and dying because they dont have flowing water is a load of croc.
Best place to find may reptiles is around rubbish tips ,need to have plants and rocks etc is mainly for human viewing pleasure.
Dont know how many hatchling reptiles ive sold and the owner has put them in a large landscaped cage ,then they ring and tell me its escaped,wont eat or sick etc.

I'd have to disagree with you here. The more realistic and natural an enclosure is, the less stressed the reptile will feel inside. If you have a dull, basic setup, the reptile may get bored, and develop zoochosis behavior. I'd imagine reptiles are probably one of the least affected groups of animals but nevertheless it is important. I think the Southern Angle-headed Dragons need flowing water in their enclosure for example, otherwise they keel over and die.
Snake bytes seem to do okay with breeding and keeping in tubs. Not my thing, but they seem to keep their animals alive.... I only keep snakes. The rest don't interest me as pets.

you can get more detail than just flat rocks though , heres one i made using the same method and i like to think i managed to get a decent amount of detail into it i just completely stuffed up the painting , i was aiming for something like the real orange one snowman posted but kinda stuffed it up , i tried getting in some subtle changes but they stayed way to subtle and you barely notice them

snowman , i completely agree with what your saying and thanks for the photos they will come in handy , as you can see from mine i too have a mono toned wall , which i why i have chosen not to make anymore directly into the enclosure until im happy with what i can produce

When designing my background I actually saved your pics from another thread to rest to. I love the shapes, I think it looks amazing!

This is my first attempt at a fake rock wall background. I would do a lot of things differently on my next attempt but it is functional for my bearded dragon. I tried spraying a light coat of black paint under the last coat and got a faint show through of it but it is hard to see in the picture.

Attachments

• Enclosure.jpg
    Enclosure.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 445
I think the most unrealist part of some of the diy backgrounds is the fact people are using paint. Paint itself comes in colours that are very unnatural, the selection of paints needs to be choosen wisely. Oche, browns and a few other colours look natural but once you add a few coats you take away from the texture of the render. This is why i choose to just use a sandstone oxide in my render and not paint it, i thought it came out looking alot better then if i had added paint.
e7ere7aj.jpg

ymeqy9e7.jpg

6yny9aqa.jpg

I would love to use fiberglass to do a background but it is very messy to work with an could possible give you sharper edgers then if using render, it is alot quicker to sculpt a background using fiberglass though and i will be attempting a bigger one using it (1400h x 900w).

Rick

I really like your wall. I reckon the colour makes your monitors stand out a lot more.
Honestly, it depends on the style of rock wall.. Some suit being all one colored. Some suit having a variety.

I'm currently midway through my next rock wall design for my bearded dragon. I'm doing something different and doing an Egyptian theme. Don't think I've seen it done before. It's most likely going to be one colour as pyramids are one colour. I think I might borrow ricks idea and use sandstone oxide for the pyramids.

Uh Oh

Now that I know my wall looks like crap I shall take to it with an axe post haste :rolleyes:

Attachments

• photo.G.jpg
    photo.G.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 244
I reckon it looks awesome! Looks better then mine lol. Looks like you put a lot of effort into it.

I was a bit tongue in cheek there..lol

I do understand where Snowmans coming from in regards to colour though. Probably the colouring is the part of my project I'm least satisfied with. Especially after applying the Crommelins pond sealer. That process definitely altered the original colour and gave it that ''wet'' look.

Next round I might try some sandstone render or experiment with some oxides for colour. Maybe try some Silasec sealant in with the final coat using a Portland cement/grout render layer to see if it combats the shininess.

I do know everyone who has a go regardless of opinions needs a pat on the back for their efforts. As long as your happy that's the main thing.:)

And thanks for the compliment Justin, yours looks pretty fine . I'm digging that Sandstone look and the curves.

Last edited:
Snowman do you ever post anything that isn't putting someone else down?
Just because you don't like it doesn't give you the right to judge other people's work which they are obviously proud of, especially when you can't produce photos of your own work.

Snowman do you ever post anything that isn't putting someone else down?
Not sure I know what you are talking about? I post my opinions and I'm sure if anything was out of line since I joined in 2009 the mods would act appropriately. My opinions and thoughts are just that. I'm honest and say things as I see them. Suffering from Aspergers my whole life I have read a lot about the condition and I aware that our observations are not always well recieved, though I find it hard to understand why. Someone recently mentioned that my photos need work. I can see what they are saying and appreciated the honest feedback. I'm an advocate for aspergers and would like people to be more aware of the syndrome and less judge mental. I make no apologies for the condition and never will. I want more people
to understand what it is and how it affects people. I work, I'm married, I raise a son. I'm not an idiot. I just don't process emotions like you do. Please take the time to read this: Asperger syndrome and adults | Better Health Channel
The way I see it is that if people don't know that their work sucks then they don't get the opportunity to learn and grow. I will never lie or speak false statements intentionally or lend my self to undue flattery. I don't see the point. To pat someone on the back for a job well done when it is not deserved is far too common these days. Though the compliments are given with the best intentions, it robs the person receiving the false statements of an oportunity to grow.
I have never singled out someone's work and have made my own thread for the purpose of showing what natural rock formations in the north of Western Australia (pilbara) actually look like and the range of colours found in them is amazing.
In this world we chose who and what affect us. Nothing someone says on he Internet should EVER make you feel bad. If you spend your life trying to impress or please others you will never be happy or content.
I have noted you joined APS in 2006 but have not added any friends or contributed anything positive. I have the WA keepers group with 141 members and the south west carpet python group with 57 members. I have also started many of my own threads for the benefit of the forum. I hold no ill will against you, and wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Last edited by a moderator:
SurrealReptiles; said:
Just because you don't like it doesn't give you the right to judge other people's work which they are obviously proud of, especially when you can't produce photos of your own work.
Have you ever seen a Hollywood movie and thought "wow that was really bad". Did you tell anyone a particular movie was bad? Have you ever made a Hollywood move before?

Not sure I know what you are talking about? I post my opinions and I'm sure if anything was out of line since I joined in 2009 the mods would act appropriately. My opinions and thoughts are just that. I'm honest and say things as I see them. Suffering from Aspergers my whole life I have read a lot about the condition and I aware that our observations are not always well recieved, though I find it hard to understand why. Someone recently mentioned that my photos need work. I can see what they are saying and appreciated the honest feedback. I'm an advocate for aspergers and would like people to be more aware of the syndrome and less judge mental. I make no apologies for the condition and never will. I want more people
to understand what it is and how it affects people. I work, I'm married, I raise a son. I'm not an idiot. I just don't process emotions like you do. Please take the time to read this: Asperger syndrome and adults | Better Health Channel
The way I see it is that if people don't know that their work sucks then they don't get the opportunity to learn and grow. I will never lie or speak false statements intentionally or lend my self to undue flattery. I don't see the point. To pat someone on the back for a job well done when it is not deserved is far too common these days. Though the compliments are given with the best intentions, it robs the person receiving the false statements of an oportunity to grow.
I have never singled out someone's work and have made my own thread for the purpose of showing what natural rock formations in the north of Western Australia (pilbara) actually look like and the range of colours found in them is amazing.
In this world we chose who and what affect us. Nothing someone says on he Internet should EVER make you feel bad. If you spend your life trying to impress or please others you will never be happy or content.
I have noted you joined APS in 2006 but have not added any friends or contributed anything positive. I have the WA keepers group with 141 members and the south west carpet python group with 57 members. I have also started many of my own threads for the benefit of the forum. I hold no ill will against you, and wish you all the best in your endeavors.

I understand where you are coming from in regards to some background I have seen. Some just look like a horrendous mess of colour that doesn't resemble anything natural, others look great. Some people go for themes or a certain colour scheme. I don't think all DIY background deserve a "well done" or "looks great" and anything thinking that they are required to need to rethink their comments.

I did a google image search for rock formations before I started mine and came across a lot of photos similar to yours, without these I would of been totally lost for inspiration. Please continue to inspire us by adding more of your work so that we all have something to strive for. Without inspiration we would all have Exoterra backgrounds :(

I'm hoping that once I do a few more background my eye for detail and texture of rock will improve. For now my monitors are enjoying there background that they run up and down all day or spend time napping on it for extended periods. I'm not 100% happy with it but I know it is functional for them and does look semi decent (a lot better then store brought background and at a faction of the price). A lot better then a white melamine wall that they couldn't use.

Rick

This is a post started by Snowman about what he thinks a rock wall should look like. He stated what he dislikes about fake rock walls and others have chimed in with how they have done things and got upset about his opinion. Yes he is blunt and sometimes comes across the wrong way on other peoples posts but this is his thread stating what he likes and dislikes. If people don't want his opinion then don't post on his thread and if he comments on your thread negatively then get upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back