Most realistic rock you have ever seen....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a post started by Snowman about what he thinks a rock wall should look like. He stated what he dislikes about fake rock walls and others have chimed in with how they have done things and got upset about his opinion. Yes he is blunt and sometimes comes across the wrong way on other peoples posts but this is his thread stating what he likes and dislikes. If people don't want his opinion then don't post on his thread and if he comments on your thread negatively then get upset.

He started a revolution with Lego!!! :)

He started a revolution with Lego!!! :)
Viva la lego!

A054B4AE-802A-45F6-B69D-3691EF18CEE7-5205-000002B063095DF5_zps49b17caa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Snowman do you ever post anything that isn't putting someone else down?
Just because you don't like it doesn't give you the right to judge other people's work which they are obviously proud of, especially when you can't produce photos of your own work.

Snowmans has a right to his opinion on the look of the DIY backgrounds, its no different than when people speak out about the differences between pure and morph Morelia.

So lets respect that a difference of opinion is simply that, and refrain from personal attacks. This thread had some great reference photo, some great info and some light hearted tongue in cheek comments. I'd hate to delete the whole thing because a few people attack a person and not the issue

Snowmans has a right to his opinion on the look of the DIY backgrounds, its no different than when people speak out about the differences between pure and morph Morelia.

So lets respect that a difference of opinion is simply that, and refrain from personal attacks. This thread had some great reference photo, some great info and some light hearted tongue in cheek comments. I'd hate to delete the whole thing because a few people attack a person and not the issue
J-A-X
Justice Authority X, one of the lesser known X-Men, though equally deadly.

Universal rocks is actually available in a few different colour variations/styles. Just depends wether or not your local supplier stocks it or not. Usually they have one colour throughout the range like the one in Adelaide. don't think he wants to muck around getting in different colours.

Snowman do you ever post anything that isn't putting someone else down?
Just because you don't like it doesn't give you the right to judge other people's work which they are obviously proud of, especially when you can't produce photos of your own work.

I think people are being harsh to Snowman. I don't actually think he's said anything offensive, unless people are being hyper-sensitive and taking it personally. The title of the thread suggests to me that the most realistic rock you have ever seen is real rock.

I'd like to point out that this is a forum. "A public meeting place for open discussion". Snowman has the right to express his opinion without being criticised for it. He's said several times that he's trying to provide inspiration. If you don't like it, don't join the discussion. If you disagree with him, please do join the discussion in a constructive manner.

Personally, I use glass enclosures with wooden branches, prefering smooth-barked trees. I personally like how easy it is to keep glass clean, and I don't want to lose my pythons in a mass of moss and ferns and vines. I like that glass lets more light in, where wooden enclosures need to be better lit from inside. (I acknowledge that glass doesn't retain heat, and I'm considering adding some insulating layers outside the glass near the basking points). For these reasons, I would like to add my support to those people who have very simple rock walls. If I made a rock wall, I would consider going for more understated colours (sandstone pond sealer?) so that I can see my animals on the rocks. And that's my opinion.

That said, I love DIY. Even when I don't make things, I like knowing how to make things. I understand the styrofoam and render method. I believe I could work out fibreglassing if the mood took me (but doubt I'll have the budget). Can anyone tell me how to make a latex background?

Wow people are sensitive. I for one am inspired to make something more complex and hopefully realistic. Since snowman started this thread I have being looking at google images and looking through my old photos.

I'll post pictures when I am finished. :)

@phatty your walls look really good. You should be proud.

Thanks guys. I don't feel vindicated or anything. I understand where the mono tone background builders are coming from too.
But back to the thread topic. Check this rock pool out for colours!!!!

Thanks guys. I don't feel vindicated or anything. I understand where the mono tone background builders are coming from too.
But back to the threat topic. Check this rock pool out for colours!!!!

Amazing!!! If I ever got a water loving reptile I'd seriously look at giving this a go :)

For those who want something a bit different perhaps some indigenous art work on your rocks. Some mineral turpentine lightly applied may do the etching. But I'm sure you can think of better ways to do it.

Anyone working with render who wants to give the above a try, once the paint layer has dried it's pretty simple to sand down to the previous layer but GENTLY or you'll end up exposing the polystyrene (even a cloth would be sufficent). You will end up with some pretty cool grey sketches.

But back to the threat topic. Check this rock pool out for colours!!!!

That is truly an amazing photo. If you took that, thats some good photography.

That is truly an amazing photo. If you took that, that's some good photography.
Cheers mate :) It's just a HDR shot. You take an over exposed, an under exposed and a normally exposed photo and merge them together to make a single photo with lots of detail.

Cheers mate :) It's just a HDR shot. You take an over exposed, an under exposed and a normally exposed photo and merge them together to make a single photo with lots of detail.

That just completely blew over my head haha. I don't really know that much about photography. Main thing is, looks great.

Hi-jacking ur thread for a sec, any tips on coloring a pyramid? Should I just use sandstone oxide and keep it one color? Sandstone oxide is pretty close to the colour of pyramids.

I've seen a lot of nice fake walls on this thread from the ones that have actually posted their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back