most unusual pet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nabu120

Reaction score
hey, just wondering what sort of unusual pets people have out there?

im thinking of getting something different but im not sure what, i was thinking maybe a bird eating spider and have looked into them a bit cos they have them at my local herp shop but im not sure yet. just wondering what other ppl have.

Girdy has pet "slime molds" , they eat cheaply on a rolled oat diet. Amazing creatures.

It is funny because if you asked my friends and family, my most unusual pets would be the ones which on here we think are normal.

When kept in the dark the growth rate is astonishing, they don't like light much, i have been experimenting on different diets. They are extremely easy to divide and propagate however they can get sick or spore easily if the get hungry.

You can make them move fast if you place the food source slighty away so the edge of it is just touching.

The beauty of them is you can store them dry for long periods and then just hydrate them and away they go.

Gird

Very cool! How often do they need feeding? How much maintenance is involved? Could you leave them for a couple of weeks?

Slime molds are escape artists and can escape almost any container. If you leave them for 2-3 days they begin to migrate rapidly and try to escape the container. They end up all over your desk and in drawers etc. However you can allow them to dry out and they should form sclerotia. You can then cut out the paper containing the dried sclerotia and refrigerate them in snap lock bags (these remain viable indefinitelty). I have rehydrated them 12 months later.

To rehydrate you just place the sclerotium on moist paper towel in a container or petri dish and place an oat flake at the edge they will begin growing again quickly.

Gird

You do a good job of making them sound cute! :lol: Well, I suppose they are pretty cute. What's the easiest way to get your hands on a sclerotia?

My daugther has Sea Monkeys, ican hardly see the little, little buggers. funny hey...

I'm pretty sure my teenage son is keeping Slime in his bathroom without telling me........I see a flash of something green everytime I go in there.:shock:
Other than that we just have perfectly normal pythons and tarantulas

Last edited:
those fingo's ur talking about remind me of that film called flubber? man, i love that little cool green thing :D

kept the dogs vomit slime mould, it was unbelievable... overnight it went from looking like scrambled eggs, then lumped together to look like shortbread biscuits, then oozed red jam like dots on top

my ex girlfriend cherished a freak hair for ages. you know one of those fine white face hairs that you can only see extremely close up with light behind it? it got to 3 or 4 cm, she was filthy when i pulled it out. hahah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back