Mount Zero/Taravale trip photo's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radar

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all, I've just spent a few days on Mount Zero and Taravale stations owned and run by the Australian Wildlife Conservancy (DONATE TODAY!!!!) and figured Id share a few pics.
The property (both adjacent stations) is located on the western side of the paluma range in NQLD, and supports a large variety of 'threatened' and 'of concern' vegetation types, as well as the associated fauna. Of note is the large amount of Tall open wet sclerophyll forest/woodland that, although common in the southern states, is pretty rare up here and usually only occures in a thin band on the western side of rainforested mountain ranges in the rain shadow.

We did a bit of a census of everything from mistnetting birds to active reptile searches, frogging every night till 11:30pm and dawn choruses every morning from 5am till 7am. We also set up traplines consisting of cage traps, elliot traps and funnel traps.These shots are just a fraction of what we got, as we only took photo's of a small number of individuals to reduce stress

Captured but not photographed includes a blackheaded python (which was hit by passing car as we were setting up to take some shots :evil::evil:, those people are lucky it wasnt a hunting trip or they would have been dodging 000 Buckshot), brown treesnake, RBB, a smaller small eyed snake than that in the album, various scorps (which Im going back to do a species survey on in a few months, there were some very interesting finds...), a large number of birds, rufous bettong, bushrats, yellow footed melomies, etc, etc. Unfortunatly no quolls or northen bettongs, which is what we really hoped to find.

Im putting up a link to save me the hours of resizing and re-uploading these shots.

http://jcuedu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=16050&id=660496462

Some of these shots have got common/scientific names, some have nothing, as my field notebook is still at uni, along with a bit of other stuff. Feel free to identify anything, I'll let you know if you're right or not :lol: when I get back my notebook (its full of key steps from about 10 hours keying out random stuff). There's also plenty of shots of my friends, please refrain from trying to give them scientific names :lol:.

ahh buggerit, kinda knew it was gonna do that, LOL, I'll have to do it later (as in, a few days later, LOL) sorry guys.

All right, I've had the time to resize some, so here's a very much thinned out version of the shots :lol:
These are in no particular oder, btw, and I CBF'd labelling them atm, sorry :oops:

carept python.JPG

binoes on finger.JPG

antichinus.JPG

azure kingisher.JPG

blindworm head.JPG

thick sundew in flower.JPG
velvert worm.JPG
small eyed snake in grass.jpg

And, cause all these mates helped out, this is the JCU crew. They gave us a troopie, so we filled it....then they gave us another ;)
group shot.JPG

Yeah, its a pity I don't have time to stick up the hundreds of candid shots from the trip. One of the blokes gear consisted of a swag with a change of clothes rolled up in it.....and 8 litres of port....on the last night he hit it a bit hard and we found him the next morning in his swag with a mist net wrapped around him, after stumbling though it in on a midnight sorte.

We also discovered the local yabbies have a perchent for living flesh, if you sit still too long, they literally come and start nibbling at you, which is funny till they get up your boardies.....lol

trip of a lifetime. Love the photos. Thank you very much for sharing

No worries.
Sure, uni means you don't have as much money, but you do get some pretty cool opportunities, Im hanging around as long as possible :D

YAY pics finally!!!!

Looks like you had an awesome time...

By the way Beryl will be here this weekend ;)... definately need a herp trip to break her in :D

nice pic's :), hope you had a blast, i wouldnt mind going on a herping trip to N.T and QLD,
cheers,
brad.

nice pic's :), hope you had a blast, i wouldnt mind going on a herping trip to N.T and QLD,
cheers,
brad.

Im workin next year, but after that doin' masters at uni. I could always use another volunteer ;).
Ive gotta do a trip up the cape when I get a new car, the herps around Iron Range would be off the hook. :D

Im workin next year, but after that doin' masters at uni. I could always use another volunteer ;).
Ive gotta do a trip up the cape when I get a new car, the herps around Iron Range would be off the hook. :D

done deal :), hmm will have to get a job soon shouldn't i lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back