Mouse Wire instead of Glass....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morelia.spilota

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone had any thought as to wether i could use Mouse wire instead of Glass for the doors of my enclosures.. And side effects or possible issues.. i have seen some videos on Youtube were the doors had mesh instead of glass...

Craig

As long as it isn't cheap nasty wire which could cause an issue if you had a species prone to rubbing against the mesh there won't be an issue. Makes it slightly harder to maintain temperature but that's it.

Most of us use glass for easier temp and humidity control.

I use some woven stainless steel in place of 1 pane of glass in my beardie vivarium, dont think i had enough ventilation. This is also set up in a stack with the base vivarium sitting at around 30-40c up top so i needed to keep ambient temps down with the beardie.

Rick

Be careful, I've seen snakes and monitors rub their faces raw on that stuff...

A better alternative could be aluminium flyscreen which is nice and smooth. The only downside is that is black and seeing through it would be a bit of a pain. I do use it on lids I make up for fish tanks when converting them to reptile enclosures without any issues.

Pet mesh- stronger and smother/softer than aluminum mesh.
Aluminum or steel Mesh is good for lids and heat lamp as it is used on rural areas with fire hazards but if there is any dag around the sides at all it is very sharp and can go right through you finger.

Last edited:
Mesh of any kind, but especially metal wire, be it flywire, mousewire, will end up slicing or grating the noses of your snakes to pieces in small enclosures. A seasonally pacing male will rub it's nose back to its eyes in the space of a few hours with a wire-fronted cage.

mcloughlin2 is WAY off the money on this one - very bad advice indeed. Wire fronted enclosures are vey bad news.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back