MP Mark Robinson Kills Snake and Posts Photo on Facebook

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop triggering the NPC's lol

LOL HAHAHA LOL!

Brilliant :D

I actually disagree with this at a nitpicking level. While I'm very much pro hunting, it is not actually killing that is enjoyable (for me anyway). Like you and I imagine many people on here, I have killed many thousands of rodents, I don't find it enjoyable at all. Hunting is good fun, but killing isn't really required, catching animals without hurting them or shooting them with cameras instead of guns is just as much fun IMO.

I have killed something up around a million rodents. Absolutely, like you, I take no pleasure in it. Very relevant here is that we have become accustomed to killing these rodents as a mundane chore rather than it ever having been any sort of a challenge, and we don't associating it with gaining nourishment or feeding ourselves. If I got a job picking fruit I would hate that too within the first hour.

And yep, I totally get you with hunting not always requiring killing to be a thrill or bringing happiness. Sport fishing (releasing them live) is very popular, although I think it's cruel and distasteful to drag an animal by the mouth with a barbed hook, take it outside the environment is can survive in, then throw it back for fun. Imagine impaling birds or cats by the mouth, dragging them underwater for a quick picture then letting them go! People would literally be up in arms. I'm not going to actively try to stop anyone, and I'm totally into fishing (if I am fishing, I'm wanting to eat what I catch. I'd be feeling bored and guilty catching and releasing). But, it demonstrates that the desire to hunt is clearly in us. Despite not having an interest in sport fishing, I do enjoy catching snakes and a wide variety of other animals then after a quick look and picture letting them go unharmed. I'm sure a very big part of it is the instinct of learning to track, find and secure an animal (which naturally would be killed and eaten) being satisfied. For most people in touch with their natural instincts, especially men, making a kill while hunting is a thrill. There are variations for everyone, such as me personally finding no excitement in fish catch and release while others love it, and for you it might be more about the capture rather than the kill, and you may not see the distinction between killing a rat as a chore and killing an animal which you will personally eat and share with people who will eat with you (though likely after the fruit picking analogy you may change your mind). If I was hunting, say, deer, with, say, spears, or a rifle, or whatever projectile/distance weapon, and the food was my main motivation and that food was of high importance, the moment of the kill would be extremely exciting. That being a very natural situation in our genetic makeup, it's not at all surprising that people typically have a drive to kill animals in a variety of ways, or a predisposition to that drive. It certainly doesn't mean every person will have those drives or even the predisposition, and obviously everyone will express them at least a bit differently.

There are much darker sides to natural human instincts, but if this one is too confronting for most, I'm not in any doubt that effectively everyone here would be triggered and angry and unreceptive if presented with them!

Idk about y’all but I’m a 90s kid and I had so much fun with a magnifying glass, the sun (sometimes little novelty “poppers”) and an ants nest when I was about 10

While I wouldn’t do that now, you can’t change the past and im sure some people here probably did the same thing

Idk about y’all but I’m a 90s kid and I had so much fun with a magnifying glass, the sun (sometimes little novelty “poppers”) and an ants nest when I was about 10

While I wouldn’t do that now, you can’t change the past and im sure some people here probably did the same thing

Good point. Love it or hate it, you can't deny that children are prone to having a strong impulse to kill ants and small insects. We're all familiar with this phenomenon existing and it certainly doesn't need to be taught to them. Why do kids want to pull the wings off flies and burn ants? Why does a cat want to kill mice? Why does a lion want to kill a gazelle?

Is anyone really so disconnected from reality that they can't understand basic biology? Well, obviously the answer is yes! But you don't need to be among those is such astonishing denial.

I don't quite get you Sdaji, some of what you say makes sense but at the same time you seem to like taking a twisted view of what people say and distorting it into something wierd. Are you a psychiatrist?
You remind me of Dr Hannibal Lechter (?) who had a very distorted view of the world.
As well as being somewhat of a hypocrite; In the post about childrens pythons your first response was, "yes get a heat lamp" only to change your position a few posts later to say " no heat lamps, childrens pythons are nocturnal".
I know you learned from your early mistakes but why say yes? and then no?
I am confused about your real identity.

I have never hunted anything, nor do I wish to do so. As a female, maybe that's the norm, I don't know.
I know my ex loved hunting, he would sit for hours on top of a bloody hill, waiting for bunnies to come out of their hole. Then bang, bang, bang. High powered rifle with telescopic sights. That's not hunting, that's just pathetic, and I refused to go on weekends away when he was taking a gun. He knew my stance on it.
I know lots of men who would never hunt, and a few who would kill anything that moves, and that includes snakes.
I just don't get the 'thrill of a kill' mindset...who gets enjoyment out of killing an animal? If you're hunting for food, because you need to eat, fine. Dispatch the animal humanely and quickly. Hunting for pleasure is just wrong (IMO). Why should an animal lose its life because you get a thrill out of it?

I have never hunted anything, nor do I wish to do so. As a female, maybe that's the norm, I don't know.
I know my ex loved hunting, he would sit for hours on top of a bloody hill, waiting for bunnies to come out of their hole. Then bang, bang, bang. High powered rifle with telescopic sights. That's not hunting, that's just pathetic, and I refused to go on weekends away when he was taking a gun. He knew my stance on it.
I know lots of men who would never hunt, and a few who would kill anything that moves, and that includes snakes.
I just don't get the 'thrill of a kill' mindset...who gets enjoyment out of killing an animal? If you're hunting for food, because you need to eat, fine. Dispatch the animal humanely and quickly. Hunting for pleasure is just wrong (IMO). Why should an animal lose its life because you get a thrill out of it?
It’s not hunting if you use a gun imo, that’s just mass slaughter, it’s like bringing a tank to a knife fight

Hunting to me is using a good ol bow and arrow and a knife and eating EVERYTHING you get

It’s not hunting if you use a gun imo, that’s just mass slaughter, it’s like bringing a tank to a knife fight

Hunting to me is using a good ol bow and arrow and a knife and eating EVERYTHING you get
Guns are far better from an animal welfare perspective and are a superior tool for pest control compared to a bow. I'm happy to leave the food for the lacies and quolls, nothing goes to waste in nature.

I don't quite get you Sdaji, some of what you say makes sense but at the same time you seem to like taking a twisted view of what people say and distorting it into something wierd. Are you a psychiatrist?
You remind me of Dr Hannibal Lechter (?) who had a very distorted view of the world.
As well as being somewhat of a hypocrite; In the post about childrens pythons your first response was, "yes get a heat lamp" only to change your position a few posts later to say " no heat lamps, childrens pythons are nocturnal".
I know you learned from your early mistakes but why say yes? and then no?
I am confused about your real identity.

Strange post to make in this thread. Weird and vague criticisms, but the only example you use is an irrelevant one from another thread. I never recommended a heat lamp. For memory, he asked if he could, I said yes. I then went on to say I wouldn't do it and don't recommend it. I would never initiate a recommendation of a heat lamp for Antaresia. Ah, I've just had a look at the thread. He used an example of a heat lamp, which I misread as a request for which type of heat lamp he could use. My mistake, sorry for the confusion there. I find it puzzling and amusing that this causes you confusion about my 'real identity'! Haha :) I'm pretty open about myself really, wear my heart on my sleeve for the most part, have often turned up to reptile expos around the country, been involved in running herp meetings and actively involved in the magazines (back when they existed) etc. If you're confused about my 'real identity' feel free to ask :)
[doublepost=1540058064,1540057293][/doublepost]Hunting is hunting. Overkill hunting which makes it easy might be crap or pathetic or whatever, but it's still hunting. Arguably, hunting for fun and leaving your kills to rot is not hunting (I wouldn't argue this, but I can see some validity to it). I wouldn't do it and I think it's bad, but I can still understand it. The fact that something is bad doesn't make it unnatural or something which doesn't exist. When we evolved in a natural environment and then suddenly snapped into living in a modern world, many of our instincts don't make sense in the new environment and people often end up doing stupid and destructive things. We have better than ever living standards, access to high quality food, availability of housing, and we whinge more than ever, have higher depression levels than ever, higher levels of obesity than ever... clearly things don't always work when something designed for one environment is put into another. A lot of this is conceptually difficult for many people to grasp, and also triggers a lot of mental protest from people who just don't want it to be true.

And, even in the natural world, things were never perfect. Violence is inherent in humans. That doesn't mean it's good or I like it, but any sane, intelligent person can see that it exists in many animals, humans being just another example. Same can be said of rape, lying, and many other things most of us see as bad, but if we are rational we can understand why they are there. It's also worth noting that we are an extremely plastic (in the true sense of the word - I don't mean 'fake', although for many people that's true too) and polymorphic species in terms of our behaviour. Some individuals for complex reasons develop in the direction for intelligence or violence or use strategies of being honest and gaining trust or simply bashing, killing and overpowering others, being nice and pairing up with someone or going out and being a rapist (or a combination of both), etc etc, and these are all perfectly natural aspects of human behaviour. And, of course, these things are different between the sexes, regardless of whatever nonsense the PC brigade tries to say these days.

How is rape, bashing, killing and overpowering others, perfectly natural aspects of human behaviour? I can't believe you wrote such a statement to be honest.

Probably similar to how it is natural for people to have waste disposal running through and close to recreational areas. It might not be ideal, just the way it is.

How is rape, bashing, killing and overpowering others, perfectly natural aspects of human behaviour? I can't believe you wrote such a statement to be honest.
I think he’s referring to primal instincts

Is to be the dominate one, look at chimps/other great apes which we “evolved from”, males rape/bash/kill females/other males to display dominance or fight for alpha rank

Although I would never say it’s normal to go out on a sunny Monday afternoon (any day/anytime) and do anything like that

They are aspects of natural behaviour because they normally occurred in natural human life. They still occur in all human communities. They also exist in every other primate species, and many many other animal species. There are evolutionary advantages to carrying out these behaviours, which is why they are part of the natural instincts of these animal species.

To fail to realise this basic fact is to be extremely disconnected from reality.

I am in no way saying they are good or desirable or to be condoned or anything of the sort. I basically see them as aspects of our evolution which we should now do our best to overcome and deal with appropriately, but they do clearly exist. The fact that we don't like it and may wish it wasn't true doesn't change the fact that it is.

Probably similar to how it is natural for people to have waste disposal running through and close to recreational areas. It might not be ideal, just the way it is.

Obviously that is not natural, but again, it does exist, and in this case, is necessary. You personally are responsible for your share of it, and because of people like you and me it is a necessary feature of the modern world.

It is an anatomy joke...

Oh, right. I thought it was a reference to the water dragons. Wrong thread. It is kinda weird that the playground is so close to the sewer. Another somewhat unfortunate reality I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back