Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slacker

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Made another short night trip up to Mt Glorious last night. Just after I suggested we turn around and head home because we'd found nothing, we came across this little critter halfway across the road, about to become DoR.

Some kind citizen halted on-coming traffic and relocated it a short distance off road where I took this photo.

2895470470_d30ec40a01_o.jpg

Theres a particular pond up on the way which is rife with frogs. The noise is deafening and often the hard part is trying to track down one individual by isolating its call from the rest.

We found these, which I'm unsure of. Both sounded like tyleri, but they sounded slightly different to each other. They're both of a slightly different shape, and the eyes are a little different. If I'd seen them on separate occasions I would have thought both were Litoria tyleri. Now I'm not sure. Any ideas?

2895454708_0789013c18_o.jpg

DSC_0032-crappy.jpg

Litoria fallax were also abundant, as usual. 'The pond' was like a giant frog orgy.

DSC_0054-web.jpg

No doubt we'll be making more trips up to Glorious given its relatively close proximity, so I might just keep adding to this thread as we make more trips and photograph more animals.

Nice photos, is the first one a Pyogopus? I think your first frog is a L. peroni and the second is L. tyleri. L. tyleri generall has a more plain dorsal surface compared to L. peroni. Also the first frog has a dark stripe over the tympanum which is a characteristic of L. peroni and absent in L. tyleri. Mount Glorious seems like a great place for herps, shame there are no Taudactylus there any more!

Aaron

Thanks Aaron :)

Yes, the first one is Pygopus lepidopodus. Sorry, I should have posted that to begin with.

Thanks for the assistance with the frogs. Interestingly, from what I've heard of a peronii calling, they sound different to tyleri. I was also under the impression that a golden iris is a distinguishing feature between the two (present on tyleri) in addition to yellow in the armpits. Having not seen the armpits I was going entirely off the call (which sounded more like tyleri) and the iris colour.

Love the Pygopus Aspi....Great shots. I think i might go up round chrissy for a bit of a herp round there...going to the sunshine coast in search for the SOuthern Gastric Brooding Frogs :D and might get dad to make a detour on the way :p

Here's a few photos I took on the same trip.

Limnodynastes peronii
Limnodynastes_peronii1.jpg

Litoria tyleri
Litoria_Tyleri1.jpg

Litoria peronii - really not a great shot at all, I didn't even realise it was more than one frog until I zoomed in on it.
Litoria_Tyleri4.jpg

And of course, lots of Litoria fallax
Litoria_Fallax5.jpg

Litoria_Fallax2.jpg

Litoria_Fallax4.jpg

Spectacular photos! How do you control the glare from the flash? Do you use a diffuser?

Regards,
David

Spectacular photos! How do you control the glare from the flash? Do you use a diffuser?

Regards,
David

I'm not entirely sure if you are referring to myself or "blackthorn," but I will answer for the both of us.

Firstly, thank you :)

Secondly, neither of us have diffusers on the flash. Both of us are shooting with (shudder) plain, old, unmodified on-camera flash.

Great pics.

Thanks jaih :)

Made another short night trip up to Mt Glorious last night. Just after I suggested we turn around and head home because we'd found nothing, we came across this little critter halfway across the road, about to become DoR.

Some kind citizen halted on-coming traffic and relocated it a short distance off road where I took this photo.

2895470470_d30ec40a01_o.jpg

Theres a particular pond up on the way which is rife with frogs. The noise is deafening and often the hard part is trying to track down one individual by isolating its call from the rest.

We found these, which I'm unsure of. Both sounded like tyleri, but they sounded slightly different to each other. They're both of a slightly different shape, and the eyes are a little different. If I'd seen them on separate occasions I would have thought both were Litoria tyleri. Now I'm not sure. Any ideas?

2895454708_0789013c18_o.jpg

DSC_0032-crappy.jpg

Litoria fallax were also abundant, as usual. 'The pond' was like a giant frog orgy.

DSC_0054-web.jpg

No doubt we'll be making more trips up to Glorious given its relatively close proximity, so I might just keep adding to this thread as we make more trips and photograph more animals.

any secret to night herping? Went to mt mee the other night and all i saw out and about were a few beetles and a couple of millipede's. Saw no herps at all during the night.

haha. If you know any, please feel free to let me know, hornet. I'm only relatively new to it, so I probably can't offer you much. Here are some thoughts, so far:

With frogs it's just a matter of keeping your ears open for the calls, knowing where to look (mostly getting by on luck there for me) and being persistent.

With reptiles, night driving seems the way to go. You can cover a lot of distance that way. Again, persistence. We've been relatively unlucky on our trips to Glorious so far, having seen much less than a friend of mine has seen on many of his trips to the same place doing the same things. Luck and persistence, I suppose.

Good luck with it and have fun. Sure as hell beats sitting in front of the idiot box, even if you don't find much of interest :)

Last edited:
heard a few frog calls, prob would have found some if we went looking by the creek but i was really after any nocturnal lizards, hoping to see pink tongues or other nocturnal skinks , gex or pygopods

wow, i live five minutes from mt glorious, i may have to make the trip up one day!!

Half your luck, callith; I think it's about 45mins - 1hr drive for us, though I can't say I've ever timed it.

lol, the last time i was up there the two cars we were in overheated and we were stuck on the side of the road in 40 degree heat, but it was still fun!!!

We've been relatively unlucky on our trips to Glorious so far, having seen much less than a friend of mine has seen on many of his trips to the same place doing the same things.

Who's your friend? He sounds cool.

Stewart

hahah. I think his name has "Flan" in it somewhere, Stewart ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back