Murray Darling Carpet Python Size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My MD is roughly (according to where I purchased him from) 14 or so months old and about 1.1 or so m long but I struggle to measure snakes :p I need to weigh him as I haven't yet but should do. Mine was eating mice hoppers and has just moved onto rat fuzzies but I'm expecting a shed soon and so he might even be able to handle something slightly larger :/

Does locality make that much of a difference?

The Worley's breed a Mt Isa locality of MD (I think they call them Dajarra/Mt Isa Carpets) that only grow to around 1.3 metres as adults. From enquiries I made I was told they were a MD locale.

I am guessing that if this is correct then locale does make a difference.

My MD is roughly (according to where I purchased him from) 14 or so months old and about 1.1 or so m long but I struggle to measure snakes :p I need to weigh him as I haven't yet but should do. Mine was eating mice hoppers and has just moved onto rat fuzzies but I'm expecting a shed soon and so he might even be able to handle something slightly larger :/

Fuzzy rats are WAY too small for a 1.1m python

Fuzzy rats are WAY too small for a 1.1m python

My MD is approx 1.5m in length, 960grams in weight and eating 200-210 gram rats (which the shops sell as a 'Large').

It might pay to weigh your MD Bananapeel and use the weight as a guide to the size to feed - As Skeptic said I think you should be able to upgrade to a larger meal. Use the 10 - 20% body mass rule and feed on weight not size.....I now buy my rodents on weight so I know what I am getting (so many differences between what some people call large/medium/small etc.....)

Hm interesting. Yeah I will be upping the food size but I do feed him every 5 days rather than weekly. The fuzzy rats however do look large compared to the snake itself :/ his head is only about as wide as my thumb which if you can imagine a 14yr old girls thumb? :/ haha. His feeds are too small I agree as his sheds are rather far apart for his age.

And I really need to start weighing the feed and snake ASAP. Only issue is that we have no scales for weighing so will have to get my hands on some.

I feed the little guy (220g) 40g Chicks but will try a Weaner Rat (unless I find a 60g Chick/Quail) next feed. Will be so much fun. Hasn't had a Rat in a long time.
I feed the bigger girl (1.5kg approx) 2x 120-185g Rats. So it's roughly between 15 - 25% of her body weight each time. Hopefully closer to 20-25%.

Bart - Interesting that locality makes such a difference in size. The Mum of mine is (at the time, when I brought them) 2.7m and at least 10kg.
BP - I got these off ebay to weigh my Snakes. Just hang them up somewhere. Chuck your Snake in a bag and tie it off. Hang bag on hook, Accurate to within 5g,
If links aren't allowed I apologise. Just thought it would be easier for BP to find. Mods feel free to delete/edit it out.. Seems like they're not. I'll pm you BP.
Ah, link didn't work in pm either. Just type in 25kg hanging scales on ebay. 4th down. $7.85 and free postage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back