Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scales03

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone could either give me a site that has info on Murray Darling Carpet Pythons or post some general info on them, as i'm thinking of getting some.

Nope, diamonds are technically carpets, but need different care.

Diamonds have a lower prefered body temp, approx 28 degrees, and it is important to cool them at night. Diamond Python Syndrome is thought to be linked with keeping them too warm 24x7 and all year round. They also seem to have greater requirements of UVA&B than other carpets.

Is Diamond Python Syndrome really recognised here in Australia or is it an American thing due to their severe low temps?
DPS is one of those things people could argue about here in Aus. Is it really a proven thing here?

Cheers, Greg.

Greg,

I have heard of it happening here in Australia. It is nowhere near as common though....

I beleive one of the instances here was in Darwin, and it was possibly caused by the lack of lower temps....

DPS has been studied a lot, but I do not know if any defenite scientific fact has been proven.... <Someone please correct me if I am wrong!>

Daniel

Within their range,there is a notable variation in seasonal temps.Some summer days reach 33-35 degrees,and winter temps can drop to freezing (0 degrees) I dont think the severe cold weather contributes to DPS like you sugest but rather the opposite.I feel it is the constant high temps in ones enclosure that effects the diamond python.After all to successfully breed DP they must be cooled almost the the extent of hybernation.
The way I see it is night time temps are extremely cold in their natural range if we put this in effect when considering housing requirements NO NIGHT TIME HEATING should be used.As nicole has suggested I would keep them at lower temps (25-28 summer day time temp) But night time cooling is the biggest factor to succesfully keeping Diamonds IMHO.

One of the problems of DPS is definitely keeping them at constant high temps.
Heater off at night and let them hibernate in winter
One of the other big problems is obesity; Diamonds have to be kept lean.
My yearling gets a mouse every 3 weeks and when fully grown they should be on a big rat every four to five weeks.
Sunlight probably is also an important factor even though they are nocturnal.
They seem to like to come out and sunbake a bit.
I have an uvb light in my enclosure, which should help, but I?ll take her outside every chance I have.

Ps.
I submitted an article of DPS a while ago; it still is on the front of APS homepage.

Thanks all for the info on Murry Darlings, lol even though it got a bit off topic but that's good cause i'm getting a diamond python very soon, so thanks for the info :wink:

Ok, so I know I always say this, but this thread hasn't had a differing opinion, so I thought I'd make one. I don't believe that there's a straight down the middle "No heat for diamonds at night" rule. My diamonds' enclosures don't retain their day-time temps at night, the ambient temp cools down because I use heat mats, but I still allow them the option of sitting on the heat when they need to. It's about them maintaining an optimal internal temperature, right? So if they're 'cold as' at night, how are they they able to obtain this? In the wild, if they found a nice, sun-warmed rock, they'd lay on it to digest a meal, they wouldn't seek out the coldest area they could.
I even know a breeder who doesn't cool his diamonds to a significant degree in winter, and still breeds them. His animals are well over 10yrs old and going strong. This is only one case, I know, but it's still an example. And there's many many theories on what causes "DPS", and until I'd come to this site, I'd never heard of it being due to diamonds having a heat source at night.
Sorry to rant, but if you're a newbie, you need more than just one side of opinions. :)

Lots of people use different ways of keeping DPs. and have success.
As far as DP syndrome goes nothing is 100% proven, everything is kinda speculation in a way.
I like to give my Snake every possible change to live a long and healthy life and go with the advise of some proven breeders and do what works for them for generations of breeding Diamonds.
The other thing is, if you live in Sydney, there is not always a warm rock at night to cuddle up to and it can get suddenly very cold for days, just like the last few days and that?s where Diamonds live.
The Guy I bought my Diamond from, keeps his outside all year with no heating at all and has been breeding them for3 generations. (In Sydney)
He even lets them hibernate in their first year (hatchlings), just like in nature.
Others do it after second or third year.
Everybody is different.
As fare as heat goes at night, there is a book called ?Keeping Carpet Pythons?
They should be kept at lower ambient temps. Day and night (with consideration of time of year)
And if kept at too high temp. for prolonged periods will shorten their life span.
:)

This is why I challenged (nicely) Nicole's view on Diamonds. There is so many differing opinions on this and so many other aspects of Python husbandry. I didn't want to start any dramas but no one can say for certain that this is the absolute 100% correct way to keep Diamonds. Obviously here in Sydney you can keep them at similar temps to what is going on outside the house but to suggest that keeping them warmer at night is going to have an adverse affect on them is really a big call to make.

Cheers, Greg.

murray darlings come diamonds.

hi everyone.

like what has already been said the cause of dps has far from been proven. but what has been excepted by diamond breeders all over the world is that maybe there is at least 3 factors that can contribute to the problem.

1st over heating/ or failure to cool.
2nd lack of uv/or natural sunlight.
3rd over feeding.

which of the 3 is the most detramentle to diamond pythons is not yet evident.
however just let me give you this example.
we brought diamonds that were bred in the tropics in turn we breed these animals.
all of the animals would never have been cooled to the same extent as animals from south of us. We didnt have what we would call a sucseeful fertility rate which can be layed firmly at the feet of not getting the males cool enough prior to breeding..
But one thing that all of the animals did get were natural uv (all were kept out doors.) and they werent ready to breed at 3 years of age. they were grown at a lot slower rate than most diamonds. We have never seen dps up here, and im not saying it has never happened just that we havent seen it. given the area in which we live we should be a prime place for dps to be prevelant if you were to say that dps came from one single factor in there care.
In my opinion the bigest factor in keeping a health diamond is the uv factor. they really do alot better if they are kept out doors where they can bask in the sun at there lesure
And common scence will tell you that wintre cooling is also extremly important. they are a cool climate snake and mother nature has not given them there range in that climate for a joke. they are a dark coloured python this makes absorbtion of heat at a rapid rate very easy on cooler days.
just some thought..
cheers paul.

Artie said:
And if kept at too high temp. for prolonged periods will shorten their life span.

Does this apply to anaresias aswell or just carpets?

Artie, "And if kept at too high temp. for prolonged periods will shorten their life span." can't that be said for any species? Surely, if you keep any animal at a temp. that is too high for prolonged periods, it will be detrimental to it's health? :? Did you quote that from your book? Or is this your personal opinion?

Hi Whaa!
That comment was refering to Diamond Pythons as it is suggested (but not proven) that constant high temps lead to Diamond Python Syndrome.

Edit:
As I stated earlier (IMO)I would recommend no heat at night,But this does not mean temps drop from 25 degrees to freezing,If you consider daytime lighting/heating requirements (say 14 hours light/heat in summer that leaves 10 hours without heat) The enclosure SLOWLY drops in temperature leaving the diamond to suffer absolute max coolness for a short period of time only,Before temps again rise to the daytime requirements. I was merely trying to clarify what nicole had tryed to say with a more in depth look to the reasons behind night time cooling.I wasnt trying to say that is the only contributor to DPS but 1 of a few possibilities.
No uvA+B lighting nor natural sunlight as well as overfeeding as Paul has suggested also contributes to DPS. (Well so it is speculated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back