Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
question

Ok - I've got a question...

Should I cool ALL my snakes overnight>

I have two spotted pythons, 1 diamond and one olive.

The overnight temperatures are not that cold here in Sydney, and I suspect that all but the olive should be cooled.

I guess my question is whether it will cause any HARM to cool them overnight. There seems to be some debate as to whether it is beneficial to cool overnight, but does anyone have any knowledge of it doing any harm.. :?:

Any guidance folks.

Whaa, as far as I know it only applies to Diamonds.
I think it?s because Diamonds are a cold climate Python (I believe the most cold adaptable Python in the world) and other Pythons are more tolerant to warmer climate.
:)

Vat 69, I did quote that from a book, but have also been told by other breeders>
I had some spotted Pythons and the warm end of my enclosure (on ground) was a constant 30-31degr. 7/24, which was normal for Antaresias, but would not be for Diamonds

Cyber, I think I did mention in my previous posts somewhere that there are three suspected major reasons for DPS, and they were exactly the same as Paul just mentioned as well.
1st is over heating or failure to cool.
2nd is lack of uv/or natural sunlight.
3rd is over feeding (obesity)

As far as temps. go at night, I also mentioned, the Guy I got my Diamond keeps his outside (no heating) and advised me to have the nearest as possible to the Snake?s Sydney habitat, to have heating 8 to 9 hours on in summer. Roughly 4 hours in May, June middle of the day, July no heat at all, August/September four hours again.

Last feed in May, and then next feed in September.
Fresh Water and normal Daylight.
You notice the heat is on for a few hours for a couple of month, even when hibernating, that?s because even in winter we can have some warm days.
That?s about as close as one can get it to a reasonable habitat for a Dyamond Python that?s kept indoors.
So I was told and I am sticking to it.
Cheers Artie

Hi Cybre, in your last post to Whaa, you also mentioned my name, that?s why I directed my last mail to you.
I only just realised that you edited it out since.
A well never mind.
Cheers mate

Hey Artie,
Here's the sched I'm going by, this is "straight from the horses mouth" (lol) for want of a more flattering way to speak of such a sweet man. :)

As far as cooling down Tiffany, this is the sort of regime I would
use.........but it's not a rule and everyone does' it differently. So it's
2 to 3 months without food !

How much heat does she get now........maybe 8 - 9 hours per day on ?

Winter heat will tend to be a bit less than 30 - 31 max (because the
ambient air will be 15 - 18 rather than 24 - 25 as in Summer), but she will
still want to be able to get her temp. up to this maximum by basking.

April: 8 to 9 hours per day (ie same as now)
May: 6 hours
June 5
July 4
August 6 - 7
Sept back to Summer timetable (8 or 9 hours)

Not sure why my spring warms up faster than my autumn cools down.........

Last feed: late April, early May........but give her 10 days or so on full summer heat before turning to May timetable. She may even stop
feeding as the days get shorter and nights cooler. Don't worry if this
happens.

First feed in spring: any time in August that she is hungry....i.e.
after you turn heat back to 6 - 7 hours per day.

Handling: No problem any time (I know you are a gently handler !)

hi Artie
Yes I had mentioned your name,it was a typo I made in error (sorry).I had erected the problem once I noticed it.I never ment my thread to be directed at anyone nor to start a debate or argument,I rather wrote it to educate those less in the know about DPS.Anyway no harm done I will now sack my receptionist/secretary without a reference and without 1 weeks notice,sick leave,annual leave or holliday pay as her typing skills were way off lol

:lol: Hey Cyber, don't be so mean to your secretary :lol:

Hi Nicole, yeah it?s not all that much different from what Peter jot it down for me.
I just checked my notes again and it did say September 8/9 hours heat again.
As far as the four hours go, of course I?ll bring that down gradually.
Ruby is definitely a cold climate Diamond. Always hangs out at the cooler end, unless after feeding.
Cheers

Hi Nic,
You and Artie mention 8-9 hrs heat during summer months.
Would this also include day light length? I thought id use same length as other carpets just lower temps.I am curious now as I had thought 14 hrs daylght AND heat (but lower temps) was sufficient!

No cyber, the days are longer, than the actual heating !

Hi CC!
Yep, what Artie said. Daylight is actually longer than the heating.
My girls are quite near a balcony door, glass wall to ceiling, so I don't actually need a day light, that takes care of itself, (with regular visits out into natural sunshine for UV of course).

Ok kewl,
I have had this discussion atleast 20 times and always get diff answers,Ive been told to winter cool after there 1st year,told not to cool until 3 yrs old,been told less heat hours more heat hours etc etc etc. I personally havnt owned a diamond YET! but with the info I have I am sooooo confused.I post threads on behalf of what info I have read or been told and get many answers,questions in return and many other opinions diff to mine. Seems your regime is pretty much on the ball so I will have to write that down and use that as reference from now on.
So thanks for the information much appreciated!!!

Hi Nic. Don?t you use uvb light?

Cyber, I reduce the light as the seasons go, I don?t think we have 14-hour days at the moment.

I also adjust lighting to seasonal change,For most carpets I use
12-14hrs summer
10-12hrs autumn & spring
8-10hrs winter

It's always good to get heaps of different takes on it and then decide which way you will go. I like getting heaps of ways and methods even if some are conflicting, all good stuff I say. :)

Artie, no UV globe for Tiff, I think regular natural sunlight does her better.
There is a nice spot inside my other balcony door where I can open the door completely and have sunlight stream in, so even this morning I was able to pop her on her climbing perch in the sun, but still have her inside out of the wind. :)

Cyber: It's good that you've gotten many differing opinions, that's the only way to make a well rounded judgement. You can't just go off the first thing someone tells you.You'd be stuffed if they were wrong.Lol :)

Hi Cyber, yes it can get quite confusing. Every one tells you something else, that?s why I like to stick with someone that has had nothing but success for many years. :)

Ah, but Artie, what if someone else, with contrasting methods has equal success? Then what do you do? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back