Murray Darling in PetShop

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleHiss

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to my local pet shop and saw a Murray Darling that was about two metres long, being kept in a two foot long enclosure. The enclose was about 50cm high and 50 cm deep, and the snake was being sold for (are you ready for it?) $950!!!! There wasn't anything special about his markings or colours either. I actually laughed out loud when I saw the price of him. But, price aside, the enclosure struck me as being quite small for the poor guy. Other than that, the petshop seems quality enough and even sells rescue puppieand kittens instead of buying from farms.

Am I right about the enclosure being too small for him? And if I am, is it going to cause him any harm? He's only new and looks fairly healthy, but the enclosure size was a pretty big concern for me...

you wouldn't happen to live in Goulburn would you?, had a very similar experience here same type of snake same price.

Last edited:
Petshops are bound by DPI regs and not NPWS regs so enclosure sizes and housing requirements are significantly different. I believe (...and have not confirmed) that petshops can use tubs for housing in some circumstances.

As for the ridiculous pricing.....they won't sell many at that price....but then they won't have to sell many to make a $$. If it is in Goulburn as suggested their window of opportunity will be narrow - There is a new reptile shop opening very soon in Qbyn run by the same people who already have reptile supply shops and a reptile zoo in Canberra. I doubt people will pay $950 for an MD when they will bee able to get something significantly cheaper from a reputable establishment down the road - Many Goulburn residents spend a lot of time shopping in Canberra.

I will be in Goulburn next week....might have to check them out....

Petshops are bound by DPI regs and not NPWS regs so enclosure sizes and housing requirements are significantly different. I believe (...and have not confirmed) that petshops can use tubs for housing in some circumstances.

As for the ridiculous pricing.....they won't sell many at that price....but then they won't have to sell many to make a $$. If it is in Goulburn as suggested their window of opportunity will be narrow - There is a new reptile shop opening very soon in Qbyn run by the same people who already have reptile supply shops and a reptile zoo in Canberra. I doubt people will pay $950 for an MD when they will bee able to get something significantly cheaper from a reputable establishment down the road - Many Goulburn residents spend a lot of time shopping in Canberra.

I will be in Goulburn next week....might have to check them out....

Just wanted to point out that when said shop opens up it won't be reptile specific. They will also carry fish and supplies for all other animals too.

Just wanted to point out that when said shop opens up it won't be reptile specific. They will also carry fish and supplies for all other animals too.

Yes....should have mentioned that! Looking forward to checking it out when it opens as we head that way several times a year to visit relo's.

I saw this too when I was in goulburn for tafe last week, we were pointing and laughing at the price tag as well. And even though the reptile/aquarium place is going in queanbeyan, it's unfortunate the pet shop there closed, I used to buy my food there before my friend bred and when she had no stock. They were cheap as chips, always good quality and only up the road :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this too when I was in goulburn for tafe last week, we were pointing and laughing at the price tag as well. And even though the reptile/aquarium place is going in queanbeyan, it's unfortunate the pet shop there closed, I used to buy my food there before my friend bred and when she had no stock. They were cheap as chips, always good quality and only up the road :)

The new pet shop will replace the old Petshop. Unfortunately the old Petshop was palming off fish like discus to inexperienced/ new fish keepers without giving the appropriate advice or equipment. All to make a quick buck.
But that's another story for another time!

The new pet shop will replace the old Petshop. Unfortunately the old Petshop was palming off fish like discus to inexperienced/ new fish keepers without giving the appropriate advice or equipment. All to make a quick buck.
But that's another story for another time!

Their methods weren't ones to uphold, and I'm just being selfish and caring about my food supply lol

Would somebody mind PM'ing the details of the shop in Goulburn?...I am thinking it is likely the one that opened up where the Car dealership (Toyota?) was in Clinton St...but just want to confirm as my time will be limited when I get to town and don't want to do the tour of town searching.

Reptiles , especially snakes , being sold in pet shops in NSW ? Correct me if I`m wrong but didn`t that one get shot down and , at the moment , aren`t reptile sales from pet shop premises deemed to be illegal. I know the pet shop lobby pushed hard for it but wasn`t it rejected in NSW ?

Reptiles , especially snakes , being sold in pet shops in NSW ? Correct me if I`m wrong but didn`t that one get shot down and , at the moment , aren`t reptile sales from pet shop premises deemed to be illegal. I know the pet shop lobby pushed hard for it but wasn`t it rejected in NSW ?

They passed it last year ,they can sell a limted amount of class 1 species, number of shops selling now.

Not willing to say if it's in Goulburn or not as that could make me extremely liable haha, sorry. But do your research and you'll figure it out ;)

It does seem to bea decent pet shop (they get their pup and kittens from a non-puppy farm organisation, but I can't remember the name she gave), but their prices are bloody ridiculous. You'd think that people would do their research and realise the existence of the Queanbeyan and Kambah reptile shops, but when I was last in the pet shop I noticed that several (also ridiculously priced) hatchlings of different varieties had been sold.

What also alarmed me a fair deal was that in one of the blue tongue enclosures, the heat matt was inside the enclosure. It was covered in some green rubber, so it may be okay to have in the enclosure, but as far as I know, putting heat matts in WITH reptiles is a huge no-no.

Last edited:
Not all buyer judge a deal by the price. Some buyers may prefer to deal with a business that is likely to be there in the future rather than one which "buys" its customers at the expense of profitability.

Well yes there is a Murray darling for sale in a shop for $950 they have said " they arnt keen to sell" hence the ridiculous price tag , so basically there praying on a sucker and yes I'm from Goulburn

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=36726]Bart70[/MENTION] yes it's where the Toyota joint is

Well yes there is a Murray darling for sale in a shop for $950 they have said " they arnt keen to sell" hence the ridiculous price tag , so basically there praying on a sucker and yes I'm from Goulburn

- - - Updated - - -
@Bart70 yes it's where the Toyota joint is

'Aren't keen to sell' would have to be an understatement of the year!!

The new Qbyn shop will likely give them a run for their money.....given the reputation and presence from their 2 established reptile businesses in the ACT plus willingness to promote and advertise it won't be too long before people realise the different between a 'Pet Store' and a 'Reptile Store' run by somebody who has been a reptile enthusiast and been in the reptile business for many years. Its only 50 mins down the freeway....

'Aren't keen to sell' would have to be an understatement of the year!!

The new Qbyn shop will likely give them a run for their money.....given the reputation and presence from their 2 established reptile businesses in the ACT plus willingness to promote and advertise it won't be too long before people realise the different between a 'Pet Store' and a 'Reptile Store' run by somebody who has been a reptile enthusiast and been in the reptile business for many years. Its only 50 mins down the freeway....

It certainly should, but just remember that if they follow their price trends from their ACT store it won't make too much of a difference!
Hopefully it doesn't though as despite some of the advice given out, they are definitely a great place to shop and friendly people to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back