Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Spring is here and on Friday, I heard the raucous calls of Channel-billed Cuckoos for the first time this season (see http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped.../580px-Channel-billed_Cuckoo_Sep07_kobble.jpg). This is a great time of the year to head into the hills to photograph reptiles. Yesterday was lovely (27C) and I was able to venture out for an hour in the afternoon and then again for a couple of hours after sunset.

Mustard-bellied Snake (Drysdalia rhodogaster) -- Yesterday, I found this small species for the first time in the Wollongong area. I have only seen it once before in the Blue Mountains. I think that it must be uncommon near the coast or at least I do not know how to find it. I would be interested to hear whether others have encountered it in the Illawarra.

The snake was responsive and would elevate its upper body in a manner that was reminiscent of the display of a Golden-crowned Snake (Cacophis squamulosus).
rhodo9.jpg

rhodo6.jpg

rhodo5.jpg

rhodo4.jpg

rhodo2.jpg

rhodo10.jpg

rhodo1.jpg

Marsh Snake (Hemiaspis signata) -- this one was about the shed. The colour of the body was odd and more brownish than most that I see here. The pale stripes on the face were also less pronounced than usual. This one would flatten its neck a little, a behaviour that I have not previously noticed.
marsh1.jpg

marsh2.jpg

Mainland Sheoak Skink (Cyclodomorphus michaeli) -- My first for the year. These are beautiful skinks with lots of attitude. The skink would elevate its head and then sway from side to side while flicking the tongue. It even charged the camera a few times.
sheoak3.jpg

sheoak1.jpg

sheoak5.jpg

sheoak6.jpg

Blue Mounatins Tree Frog (Litoria citropa) -- a beautiful and common species.
citropa4.jpg

citropa2.jpg

citropa1.jpg

Litoria wilcoxi -- another pretty frog of the area.
wilcoxi1.jpg

wilcoxi2.jpg

Eastern Common Froglet (Crinia signifera) -- probably the most common frog by call in this area but they are tiny and hard to see.
crinia1.jpg

Waratah -- more photos of these gorgeous flowers.
waratah1.jpg

waratah2.jpg

Does anyone recognize this species? If is an dd plant with pale, slightly greenish flowers.
flower.jpg

Regards,
David

Last edited:
Great photos David, the D. rhodogaster photos are brilliant. I think your frogs would be Litoria lesueuri if they were found in the Illawarra, L. wilcoxi is usually not encountered south of Sydney (the blueish/green spots in the thigh help distinguish this from L. wilcoxi which has yellow spots).

Aaron

Hi David,

In the Illawarra I have only seen one D. rhodogaster, at the top of Macquarie Pass, but further south I have seen them in Kangaroo Valley. Fantastic images.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I appreciate the identification technique info regarding the wilcoxi/lesuerii, Aaron.

anothergecko,
On a different forum, I received similar feedback regarding the Drysdalia. It seems that they are rarely encountered in this area.

Regards,
David

David the lesueuri complex were all regarded as the same species a few years back, then were spilt into groups in recent years and you can virtually divide them up by location.

Jason,

IN queensland there is a large ovelap zone between jungguy and wilcoxi and an overlap zone between wilcoxi and lesuerii in the Wollongong area.

Cheers,
Scott

Jason,

IN queensland there is a large ovelap zone between jungguy and wilcoxi and an overlap zone between wilcoxi and lesuerii in the Wollongong area.

Cheers,
Scott

Where is the overlap zone between lesueuri and wilcoxi in the Illawarra Scott? The furthest south I have seen wilcoxi have been in north west Sydney or on the central tablelands.

Aaron

fantastic pics as always david.. great finds mate :D love the Drysdalia rhodogaster

channel billed cuckoos :p how huge are they? when I lived up on acreage at Kenthurst we used to get them waking me up of a morning with their crazy calls.. the female CBC laid in the nest of some currawongs. the currawong was dwarfed trying to feed the cuckoo hatchie in one of the trees next to the house.

Jason,

Cheers,
Scott

I was just generallizing Scott, all these types of things have intergrade zones, personally I'm a lumper and ........ ;).... I havn't heard of wilcoxi being found locally though? not in the lower Syd, upper gong catchment anyway..

There is apparently a hybridization zone from around wollongong to the hawksbury river.
Having said that I have only ever seen lesuerii (or lesueuri looking hybrids) from around the gong myself.

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks, all.

CBCs are impressive birds ... as big as hornbills. I enjoy their loud calls at night.

I guess that I am old school and am not fond of the current splitting phase of taxonomy. In my uni days (70s), I remember an author of a fieldguide to Central American birds being absolutely hammered in reviews because of his splitting approach to avian taxonomy. Now, recent field guides align fairly well with his ideas. I wonder how long it will take for lumping to return so there are no more problems trying to explain things like "(or lesueuri looking hybrids)"?

Regards,
David

Scott,

I don't think there is a hybrid zone between Litoria wilcoxi and lesueurii, unless there is one somewhere in the blue mountains. Litoria lesueurii occurs south of Sydney and wilcoxii north of the Hawkesbury river, neither of them occur on the cumberland plain, which puts about a 30km gap at least between the two species. In the Wollongong region I have only ever seen L. lesueurii and would be quite surprised to see a wilcoxii there.

Cheers,
Grant

She oaks are very common in the wild in certain spots, even in the middle of suburbia.... you just have to know these spots...a few people I know keep them as well...a little difficult to breed as they tend to kill each other.

re Mustard

She oaks are very common in the wild in certain spots, even in the middle of suburbia.... you just have to know these spots...a few people I know keep them as well...a little difficult to breed as they tend to kill each other.

When Graeme Gow was at the AHS way back we had a slide night and he showed a she oak skink from near mascot,not having seen any i enquired and told me they were at the back of the factory where he worked and he felt a bit guilty about using them as snake food. they are abundant in some areasnorth of wollongong ide often run them over with the lawnmower on the back block of land we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back