my ball python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deyendran

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys i seem to be having sum trouble with my ball python. well i know that if i can see my snakes spine that it is under weight but my problem is that i can see her spine but shes got good size around her stomach area i find this odd, any views or opinions would really help. i tried taking pix but unfortunately you cant see it in the pics. sorry if my description is very vague.

I'm sure someone would know something to help you, but perhaps post on a site who's country allows ball pythons as pets?

Just a thought and I have no real idea but could she have worms. Losing condition and big tummy would lead me it that direction with any animal. Just a thought though could be way off.

You're asking the wrong people mate, this is an Australian forum. We don't have ball pythons

He knows this is an Aussie forum, its called Aussie snakes and pythons. Just because its a ball doesnt mean that general snake knowlage might not pass across. Plus im sure a few on here have a few.. lol ( stirs the pot >:) )

The description is really too vague to be able to suggest what the problem may be. It could be parasites, as has been suggested, but you don't say whether the animal is eating, or if there are any other behavioural indicators of ill-health. Abdominal tumours are not uncommon in pythons, this may also show itself as a big belly and generally poor physical condition.

A photo or two, and a bit more info could help - and don't worry about this being an Aussie-only site - it's not, and most, if not all the problems discussed can be interchanged with any species.

Jamie

Mate I would get the python to a vet. There is no way we can tell you what it is without a photo and even then it is just a guessing game.

If this is real, you can take it to a good reptile vet who will treat the animal. They will inform you that it's illegal to keep but they will treat it as the animal is their main concern.

If this is real, you can take it to a good reptile vet who will treat the animal. They will inform you that it's illegal to keep but they will treat it as the animal is their main concern.

Perhaps he is from a country that allows ball pythons?:rolleyes:

Oh dear, there's always someone who can't resist a pious, self-righteous comment... If, indeed, he is located outside Australia, then the vet is unlikely to tell him it's illegal to keep Ball Pythons.

Bloody parochialism at its worst...

Jamie

Can you recommend any good herp vets in South Africa?

Not sure why people jumped on me, I'm just trying to get the snake help. If it's in this country they may be resistant to get it help, so I was telling them a vet will see the snake with nothing more than making note that its illegal and no more questions asked.

With both parents critical in hospital I figured some good karma could be needed. I apologise for offering help.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear, there's always someone who can't resist a pious, self-righteous comment... If, indeed, he is located outside Australia, then the vet is unlikely to tell him it's illegal to keep Ball Pythons.

Bloody parochialism at its worst...

Jamie

How is this pious and self righteous? The aim was to tell him that it is OK to take the snake to a vet if he is in this country. Not anything about our laws on exotics or anything like that. I made my comment just in case he is in Australia and was afraid to take it to a vet.

With nothing but the snakes best interest involved how is this anything at its worst with such good intentions?

Not sure why people jumped on me, I'm just trying to get the snake help. If it's in this country they may be resistant to get it help, so I was telling them a vet will see the snake with nothing more than making note that its illegal and no more questions asked.

With both parents critical in hospital I figured some good karma could be needed. I apologise for offering help.

- - - Updated - - -

How is this pious and self righteous? The aim was to tell him that it is OK to take the snake to a vet if he is in this country. Not anything about our laws on exotics or anything like that. I made my comment just in case he is in Australia and was afraid to take it to a vet.

With nothing but the snakes best interest involved how is this anything at its worst with such good intentions?

Dont take it to heart mate, its hard to portre tone in text. there is just quite alot of people on here harp on about exotics and how bad they are and on and on when some people just need a little help is all. also sorry to hear about ya folks. i hope they both make a solid recovery..

Sorry to hear about your parents, but I don't think that's related to the topic. A brief search of the OP's history here will show you that he/she lives in South Africa. Regardless of your assurances, I wouldn't be too sure that all vets will observe the right to privacy of the animal's owner in this situation either. That's not a judgemental comment by the way - as far as I'm concerned, what a vet does with info like this is up to him/her, and I'm sure each vet has their own set of values in matters like this.

I do hope your parents improve.

Jamie

hey guys lol i am from south africa so it is very much legal to keep them here. i just wanted some opinions before i seek a vet as reptile vets are very rare here and are usually very expensive. yhanks for all the comments.

- - - Updated - - -

well shec has been eating normally, one fuzzy mouse a week as she is still small and theres no behavioural indicators that suggest ill-health shes moves as normal and everything seems normal which is why i find seeing her spine very odd. thanx ypur answer was most helpful and considerate. :)
The description is really too vague to be able to suggest what the problem may be. It could be parasites, as has been suggested, but you don't say whether the animal is eating, or if there are any other behavioural indicators of ill-health. Abdominal tumours are not uncommon in pythons, this may also show itself as a big belly and generally poor physical condition.

A photo or two, and a bit more info could help - and don't worry about this being an Aussie-only site - it's not, and most, if not all the problems discussed can be interchanged with any species.

Jamie

- - - Updated - - -

appreciate all you guys help and comments, i know you all are just trying to look out for my snakes best interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back