My Beardie WONT EAT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belinda

Reaction score
Dont worry.....He is eating :) I just need your attention. I recently got a 21 and a half inch male bearded dragon from a friend moving overseas, but he onl eats mealworms as he refuses vegetables. So thats all he eats.....mealworms. I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how to get him eating his greens?

Thanks!

P.S Does anyone know how to tell the age of a bearded dragon?

Hi,
You should ask your friend what the dragon was eating before she gave it to you as I know some dragons can be very fussy and only eat specific fruits and vegies. Also make sure you feed it things like live crikets. as meal worms dont really offer any nutritional value, or so i have been told.
Cheers

he is only on mealworms?? this sounds a bit strange, they usually would have a varying diet by the time he is that size. just like what greebs just said he should be well into Brumation and not eating a thing at all.
cheers
charles

you should try putting some mealworms on the vegetable that you are trying to feed it.
what type of vegies are you trying to feed it?mine love lettuce

One idea I have heard is to put some chopped fruit and veg in a bowl and put some mealies under it so it moves. IMO the best thing to start with is banana as they usually love it.
Another thing that has worked for me is to get some dried apple and chop it up and put it in a bowl in the beardies cage. Because it is dried, it can be left there indefinately without going mouldy as fresh fruit does if not eaten straight away.

I think it has a lot of phosphorous (or it could be pottasium that's the problem), so should be fed in moderation. But maybe there is something else? I'm certainly no guru when it comes to dragons. :oops:

Have you tried crickets or roaches? If the temp is kept warm they will continue to eat as normal.
I have had beardies over the years that won't eat veggies only roaches and crickets and they are fine.
You would have to get him eating something besides mealworms.

Magie is right"phosphorous (or it could be pottasium that's the problem), so should be fed in moderation. Yes once a week the same as feeding pinkies.

To get our hatchling feeding we use wooden screwers blunt the end and place the chop up veges on the end,

We find they like the movement when slowly twisted around on the scewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back