My beardy almost died this morning.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

cupcake
Reaction score
This morning when I checked on my beardy she was almost dead, totally pale apart from a jet black beard, she was warm which indicated she had been basking, but she was limp, and her eyes were unfocused and sunken. Yesterday she had been fine, eaten well, totally normal behaviour.
It reminded me of an experience I had about 10 years ago, it was shortly after someone had posted a story of a similar situation where their vet had run tests, but the beardy has died before the test results were back. Well, that story saved one of my beardies 10 years ago when I begged my vet to administer antibiotics straight away and he could run whatever tests he wanted. He agreed to since the antibiotics wouldn't hurt. He called me later that day saying it was a massive unexplained infection, and that without the antibiotics she would have died.
This morning I panicked, I doubted she would even make the hours trip to the vet even if I got an appointment straight away and turned to my supply of 4+year old fortum still in the freezer from an snake that had died of lymphoma. She wasn't moving so I supported her in a warm bath for 5 mins, then put her down my top since I didn't want to risk her overheating on her basking spot. 20 minutes passed, nothing,....40 mins,....I thought her eyes were a little more focused but might be imagining it. It put her in her tank and sat watching her. 10 mins later I was sure her head had lifted a few mms,...now a mere 90 mins later she is sitting upright, moving around, her beard is still black, and if she doesn't eat today I'll make an appointment regardless.
I just wanted to share my story, since the person that shared the diagnosis of unexplained infection in the first place saved 2 of mine. Maybe it will help someone else down the track too. I am amazed at how quickly the antibiotics work! And am so happy my girl is looking so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back