My Bluey Setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinobot

Not so new Member
Reaction score
IMG_4946.jpg

What's happening guys? Been a long time since I posted, won't ramble, back reading through all the posts and thought I would snap a few shots of my setup. This is Grimlock, Blotched Blue Tongue, 34cm in size. Currently shedding but having a bit more trouble with it than usual, tried spraying her with a bit of water but that was definitely not appreciated.

Tank is a 4x2x2, the driftwood is arranged so there is 4 entrances and exists as well as a big basking rock. I am thinking its time to get a new addition to the studio in the form of a Beardie or maybe a small snake, reading a few books and the forum to see what fits best.

IMG_4942.jpg

IMG_4943.jpg

IMG_4945.jpg

IMG_4947.jpg

For the first time Grims seems to be having a few issues getting the last part of his shed off from the top of his head and on his feet, tried a shallow bath but he has always hated it and freaks out. I am not overly concerned as it will likely just take a bit of time but I know it can cause issues especially on their feet if it is not eventually dealt with.

Suggestions?

Grims.jpg

What temperature was the shallow bath?
If it's not the right temperature i.e ~PBT Bluey's may freak out, as water that is either too cold or too warm may be uncomfortable for them and they're not particularly good swimmers.
Time of day may help too, as a supervised soak in shallow warm water first thing in the morning after a cool night would be more likely to be welcomed.
Just as effective (if not more so) is putting it in a moistened warm pillow case for a while (until the old skin has softened) and then manually removed. Keep the soaking animal in a warm spot.

Last edited:
It was a mild/warm bath, not sure of the exact temperature, will give it another go this morning and try it in a shallow plate rather than the sink, thinking the depth he was put into might have been what made him so unimpressed(unsure of sex)

Thanks mate

Enclosure looks awesome mate, when I had my blue tongue I encountered the same problem with shedding I would bath her in in the sink with shallow luke warm water (not to hot but leaning my to cool) she panicked but soon got used to it. I would them gently peel off the shed around her toes and tail tip as these are the most important parts to look at first and them try and peel the rest off because it was soft and easy to pull off. I also put the water bowl closer to the heat lamp to make it more humid in her enclosure so she could shed easier.

Hope this helps :)

Ps she's a beautiful blue tongue

Thanks for your feedback and advice. I tried today in a warm shallow tub instead of the deep sink, in the morning and with warm water, slightly better success, I am thinking it might just take a little while for Grims to get used to it like you said. I am thinking a few days in a row at the same time for a bit of conditioning and we might make some progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back