My croc tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfg23

Reaction score
Im definately not the best with a camera, but as requested, here are some photos of my freshie setup.
Ill get my brother to take some snaps one time since he is a wizz with his camera's.

The water is dark because the big log in there has been leaking tannins for like the last 2 months. I thought it would stop staining the water after a week or two. Its due for a water change next weekend anyway.

I also need to put another fluro in there to light up the far right hand side.

And, yes, the lid all sat flush when i made it, after a few days of it being on the tank the moisture warped the boards, now i need to fix it.

Last edited:
good job bfg, looks good...
ye same here reptiledude1, damn NSW laws....

the tank looks good try getting some bags of "purigen" to put in your filter and change the water twice a week that will get rid of your tannins , or just wait they normally only last about 2 months .

Hrm, can i get this purigen stuff from most aquarium shops?
I googled it quickly and it looks good. Makes the water considerably clearer and helps in ammonia/nitrite levels.
I have only been doing 1/5 water changes too because i don't want the water temperature to fluctuate too much.

Yeah mate, the guy who i got the croc from ended up living about 5 mins from me. Haha, Adelaide is so small.

the tannains will clear up within 6 months at the most, doin weekly or fortnighly water changes, don't worry bout it to much much as its actually good for the water, just not pleasent to look at...also if that peice dries it will continue to a degree... no stress and looks like a grand setup. crocs are fun

Crocs are awesome fun. Feeding is the most rewarding part.
Does yours feed infront of you? or right out of tongs? Mine is crazy for food, i need to be quick putting his food dish down, he has launched out of the water and nearly nipped me a few times.

thats cool mate what sort of legal requirements do you have to meet to own one

tannin is not so bad anyway it lowers your ph, most tap water in australia is very alkaline so a bit of tannin from the wood is not a bad thing.
Mad keen fish keepers that have fish from areas that have lots of tannin in the water actually add it to their tanks,

Awesome setup, I had a wood lid I made before warp due to humidity as well- its a bummer. You could probably polycrylic it and it would be far more resistant to that.

Looking at the water heater (I believe thats what it is) in your tank brings back memories of my large fish keeping days and how they are notorious for smashing them. You might want to consider a sump filter underneath your setup, it could help keep the water cleaner and allows you to keep the heater and other internal components outside of the animal's reach. Just my 2 cents!

Nice setup mate im with the other nsw people here its a real shame we cant keep freshies or salties....

Crocs are awesome fun. Feeding is the most rewarding part.
Does yours feed infront of you? or right out of tongs? Mine is crazy for food, i need to be quick putting his food dish down, he has launched out of the water and nearly nipped me a few times.

mine wont eat out of anything yet, he eats off a doc and sometimes that will be in front of us... getting more confident tho and is eating while we are in the room or while the lite is on more regularly. just a shy bugger atm i think...

thats cool mate what sort of legal requirements do you have to meet to own one

need to live in vic and have an advanced permit. south aust can keep them to but i think its got a bit more regulaations and in QLD you need a demonstrators permit

tannin is not so bad anyway it lowers your ph, most tap water in australia is very alkaline so a bit of tannin from the wood is not a bad thing.
Mad keen fish keepers that have fish from areas that have lots of tannin in the water actually add it to their tanks,

it's actually also very good for the fish and helps their immune system, also native fish require alkaline water and most tap water in aus is nuetral... but yeah tannins do drop ph to.. but we are talkin about a croc and i don't think tannins matter much to them...

Yeah in SA you need an Advanced permit with a freshwater crocodile endorsement. Its not something they take lightly and just give to everyone, they scrutinized me like crazy, but in the end i got it and could not be happier.
I have a feeding video thread too somewhere where mine is launching almost completely out of the water.

You can get purigen in packets from most aquarium shops. I have one in my big fish tank you would be amazed at the difference it makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back