My diamond python escaped then found now she is sitting on 8 eggs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristen Oneill

Reaction score
Hey just wondering if theres anybody out there that can shed some light on what i should do here, my female diamond escaped for about two days and i was lucky enough to find her again and when i did she stopped eating for about 3 months and now she is sitting on about 8 eggs. I've never cared for eggs and wondering if i need and incubator and what to do when they hatch. PLEASE HELP

You can leave them with her, she will hatch them.
If you don’t want them to hatch you can remove them and destroy them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yes, you need an incubator if fertile, but i'm pretty sure you only have one animal so, idk.

wait, so the temps don't matter? interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey just wondering if theres anybody out there that can shed some light on what i should do here, my female diamond escaped for about two days and i was lucky enough to find her again and when i did she stopped eating for about 3 months and now she is sitting on about 8 eggs. I've never cared for eggs and wondering if i need and incubator and what to do when they hatch. PLEASE HELP
Did she escape to an outside area?
What town and state do you live in?
It is very unsual that she would find a mate in two short days. It is not like cats and dogs in that there are twenty on every street.

You can leave them with her, she will hatch them.
If you don’t want them to hatch you can remove them and destroy them

how important is keeping the temperature around 31 and i high humidity, will that help the eggs hatch with her or does nature just do it all?

i live on a
Did she escape to an outside area?
What town and state do you live in?
It is very unsual that she would find a mate in two short days. It is not like cats and dogs in that there are twenty on every street.
i live on the sunshine coast on acreage in the bush and she got out because my little cousin left the door unhinged and i thought she was gone but was driving to work along the dirt road after about 2-3 days and found her, because she was not eating i thought she might have had a parasite in her but then the bottom half of her body began to grow and the top half got skinny. plenty of wild carpets out here aswell.

You might very well have an Intergrade (coastal x diamond) clutch or they may be infertile slugs. Post a couple of pictures and the experienced breeders on here can help you with more detailed advice.

The mum will keep the eggs at the right temp, if there cold she will come out and bask then go back to them to warm them up, to increase humidity females have been seen going through there water bowls before going back on the eggs

You might very well have an Intergrade (coastal x diamond) clutch or they may be infertile slugs. Post a couple of pictures and the experienced breeders on here can help you with more detailed advice.
what do you mean by infertile slugs

She may not have actually mated with a male and has just layed eggs that haven't been fertilised. These are known as infertile slugs. You can candle the eggs to see but it is a specific process that is best explained by someone who has done it before.

She may not have actually mated with a male and has just layed eggs that haven't been fertilised. These are known as infertile slugs. You can candle the eggs to see but it is a specific process that is best explained by someone who has done it before.

okay so she's just moved off them and theres alot more than 8!

IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

Definitely look fertilised, if you want her to incubate them you need to have sufficient heat for her to maintain a 31C body temp and keep the humidity up close to 100% with a large water bowl and occasionally spraying the substrate,(not the eggs) possibly partly cover the enclosure vents or top if it is mesh? Alternatively get an incubator and carefully move her eggs without turning them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back