my dog had pups, such cuties

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks, they are absolutly gorgeous and their personalities are starting to come out. so funny watching them all play.

lebsta;22478. you gave a puppy for free to one of my kids last year from different parents and she is going great. t.[/QUOTE said:
So this has happened before...

I guess although thats great you are giving away free animals, but can these people who get these free animals afford to keep up with the bills such as desexing, on going vaccs, parasite control, food bills and vet bill when required? I have also given away a couple of free animals, but only after asking a million questions to ensure they were getting the animal for the right reason. I also only had these animals to give away because the previous person had not thought through their purchase or realised their free pet will cost money:(
Often people when the receive a free pet, they don't view it with any more value than a disposible camera. I am sure you have checked the new homes for the pups and have made the owners aware that pets do cost money and accidents do happen, generally at the worst possible time:(

No one is suggesting that everyone should rush to the RSPCA for a pet, if you wish a pet to have certain qualities and looks then by all means purchase from a breeder. When I say breeder I mean one that breed to better the breed, not backyard breeders or puppy farmers. A good quality breeder will be registered on the appropiate registar, have all the health checks and tests done on the dam & sire, will only have limited number of puppies available as they considered their bitches health and their pups generally will come with pappers and you will pay a good price. If my dog ever passes (which she won;t as she is going to live forever:)) I will def check pounds/rspca, but if nothing matches what I am after, I will do much research to find a breeder matching what I wish in a dog. I do believe in adopting not buying but sometimes that is not practical for everyone.

The many reasons puppies and dogs in general are dumped is because people get a free pet and didn't realise the upkeep required, or didn't realise their cute little puppy would grow up, or the neighbours get annoyed with the barking dog, as the people didn't make sure they would have the time to spend with the dog, or have a human child or go on holiday, there are many pathetic excuses humans come up with, apart from the real one "I didn't think things through"! Be it related to lifestyle, financial or the dog is unsuitable for the family (this is a human fault not the dogs!), the person breeding/selling/give away should bear some responsibilitie in ensureing that the pet matches the family and that the family/person realises it is for life not for a few months.

Not trying to take away from the fact you are doing something nice and it is great you are getting the bitched desexed. The above quote has shown this may of happened before (I say may as I do not know the background), so perhaps before getting any other dogs perhaps ensure they are desexed or at least make sure all the dogs you own are desexed. Which they may all be now, I hope:)

Yes I sound like I am on my high horse but until you are a participant in a 18 week old poodle cross euthansia due to the owners not realising they should of trained the dog so it didn't bite, stopping the RSPCA taking it in, not making any provision for accidents, their "pet" had been let out on the road by one of their many children. This resulted in a badly fractured pelvis, this needed surgical intervetion that they could not afford, Now whilst I understand we can all end up this boat and appreciate we get caught out or don't expect somethig like this to happen - but to respond with "we don't want her back, she bites the kids (their fault not hers), the neighbours are sick of her barking (locked in a yard with no sitmulation either mental or socail), it was too expensive to feed her anyway (she was a toy breed) and the kicker she was free anyway"....not pleasent and it happens all too often:(

We all own wonderful dogs and cats and I am sure someone at some stage has said I wish you didn't have her/him desxed as I would of loved a pup/kitten as they are so great. But they are the pets they are, because we made them that way (genetics plays but a small part). But as above unless you are a registered breeder and done the appropiate health checks/tests leave it to the professionals and ensure this doesn't happen again, by ensuring all your pets are desexed.

with previous pups have been intentionally breed, pure breed blue pedigree amstaffs and i have given a few of them away for free, thats the pup he is talking about.

the people taking the pups know what their in for as all of them have owned dogs before and they can finacially afford them.

i'm sorry about what happened to that dog but the people taking these pups i know very well and they have owned dogs before and are happy to take them to puppy preschool or train themselves and know its a life time comitment.

between me and my partner we have 5 dogs 3 of them were rescues from RSPCA, shelter and someone getting rid of an unwanted dog. 2 are pure breed pedigree blue amstaffs which my partner breeds. my other female is desexed, and this girl will be getting desexed. so that leaves 1 female she is my partners dog and he will desex wen he feels its the best time for her.

it is also becoming a problem with reptile breeders over breeding unwanted reptiles, which are getting relesed into the wild which is less visable than dogs. i should know, i have taken in quite a few unwanted reptiles this year. i have taken in 7 unwanted pythons, 1 beardie, 1 blue tongue and 1 turtle so far.

with previous pups have been intentionally breed, pure breed blue pedigree amstaffs and i have given a few of them away for free, thats the pup he is talking about.

the people taking the pups know what their in for as all of them have owned dogs before and they can finacially afford them.

i'm sorry about what happened to that dog but the people taking these pups i know very well and they have owned dogs before and are happy to take them to puppy preschool or train themselves and know its a life time comitment.

between me and my partner we have 5 dogs 3 of them were rescues from RSPCA, shelter and someone getting rid of an unwanted dog. 2 are pure breed pedigree blue amstaffs which my partner breeds. my other female is desexed, and this girl will be getting desexed. so that leaves 1 female she is my partners dog and he will desex wen he feels its the best time for her.

it is also becoming a problem with reptile breeders over breeding unwanted reptiles, which are getting relesed into the wild which is less visable than dogs. i should know, i have taken in quite a few unwanted reptiles this year. i have taken in 7 unwanted pythons, 1 beardie, 1 blue tongue and 1 turtle so far.

Hmm very true in regards to reptiles, and I can only see this getting worse with the large number of people breeding reptiles for the hell of it rather than thinking ahead:(

Thats great to hear that you have checked the homes and they are going to homes that will appreciate the pups and also provided them with a great home:)

My post was not aimed at you but really towards all those that think getting a free pup is a great thing and a "score", most people who give animals away do not care what home they are gonig into.

Thats great to hear that your dogs are desexed and most are rescue dogs:)
One thing I will ask is if your partner is a breeder, I would assume he is registered on the Canine Council Control registry, and also has done the necassary testing for hip dysplasia, luxating patellas and of course the eye conditions staffys are prone too.....if he has, kudos to him. If he has not spent the hundreds/thousands required for the tests then he is a backyard breeder and no better than all those that breed because the mum/dad are cute....
Having papers for mum and dad are not an insurance that your dogs don't carry any genes that may affect the furture livestock and nor does it make you a breeder - merely someone who watches dogs have sex.....though in saying that, breeders are that, but just more responsible, well the reputable ones...')

Last edited:
yes both have been tested. thats what i was worried about wen he decided to get them as my pure breed chihuahua from the RSPCA had medial patella luxation wen i got her off them. the last thing i want is another animal brought into this world suffering. i have seen to many breeders, never get any tests done and breed animals they know they shouldn't as they have health issues.

Last edited:
6-8 weeks, depends on how the individual pup is going as one is small the runt he will definatly stay till he is 8 weeks, but the biggest 2 will go probably at 6 weeks, if they keep up with eating puppy food and drinking from a bowl (puppy milk and water).

yes both have been tested. thats what i was worried about wen he decided to get them as my pure breed chihuahua from the RSPCA had medial patella luxation wen i got her off them. the last thing i want is another animal brought into this world suffering. i have seen to many breeders, never get any tests done and breed animals they know they shouldn't as they have health issues.

How old was your chihuahua when she got the patella? I have a chihuahua cross that was unwanted and abandoned when I adopted her two years ago. she doesn't have any medical conditions yet (she's two and a half) but the vet warned me about her getting it when she's old. And left back knee will be more prone to arthritis. This is her :)
yqedy8e4.jpg

View attachment 265942
she was diagnosed wen she was 2 years old. being a stage 4. 1 being worst and 5 not so bad. she is now nearly 11 and she gets checked every year to see how its progressing, this year i was told one knee is stage 2 and one is stage 3. its more prone to small dogs especially minitures.

View attachment 265942
she was diagnosed wen she was 2 years old. being a stage 4. 1 being worst and 5 not so bad. she is now nearly 11 and she gets checked every year to see how its progressing, this year i was told one knee is stage 2 and one is stage 3. its more prone to small dogs especially minitures.

Interesting... It doesn't help that they're always jumping up on things either. Had to tie my girl up in the laundry when she got desexed so she had nothing to jump on, until she started begging -_- lucky no hernia.
I considered getting pet insurance later on down the track in case she does end up needing the patella fixed up.

becareful with pet insurance as alot of insurance companies do not cover illnesses/ problems at are prone to the breed. i looked into getting pet insurance and noticed they had in small writing that they did not cover illnesses that are prone or common in the breed and i called them up and they did not cover patella luxation in chihauhuas or miniture dogs. and any problems they already have and because she has had it from day 1 they will not cover her for it.

[QUOTE One thing I will ask is if your partner is a breeder)[/QUOTE]

LMAO that's a tad personal..............

Last edited:
6-8 weeks, depends on how the individual pup is going as one is small the runt he will definatly stay till he is 8 weeks, but the biggest 2 will go probably at 6 weeks, if they keep up with eating puppy food and drinking from a bowl (puppy milk and water).

Try and wait till 8 weeks, the puppies learn some crucial behaviour from their mother and shouldn't go before 7 weeks, but 8 weeks is better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back