my fav adder

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reconeyez

Not so new Member
Reaction score
just sharing a pic of my favourite adder. its a northern, flood planes phase.

when its puffed out it has neon yellow though it.
he has a soft spot with me.

comments more than welcome

Attachments

• DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
It looks awesome.

What are death adders like to own compared to other venomous snakes, such as red bellies?

I'd love to own some eventually.

cooooooooooool, i dont think ill be gettin one for a while, how venemous are they??????

Death Adders Dangerously venomous
Responsable for human deaths, produces large amounts of venom acting primarily on the nervous system, also destroys red blood cells and affects blood clotting. These factors apply to the common death adder (Acanthophis antarcticus) Northern death adder( Acanthophis praelongus)venom unknown.
still they use the same antivenom (Death Adder) and initial dose of antivenom 6000 units.
There was a case of an invenomation where a guy was bitten and apply'd first aid not knowing he was bitten three times and was rushed into ICU and was administed antivenom and survived after a 9 week coma. Not something you want to be bitten by. there strike is like 50 frames per second. very fast.

Last edited:
It looks awesome.

What are death adders like to own compared to other venomous snakes, such as red bellies?

I'd love to own some eventually.

Never try and handle one, always use a second hook, dont tail them unless you have them in a head grip.
Have respect for what they are, they are great to watch, they have the fastest strike.
Only because of there fixed front fangs they are classed as elapids not vipers, but in my opinion they are like vipers as there a ambush preditor and have that viper look about them. awsome looking reptile. As far as there strike there NO:01.

they look chuncky as!! i dont see the point in owning potentially lethal venomous snakes apart from just looking at them. i have no problem owning less harmful venomous snakes. colourbrids look nice in general imo. but the odd elapid are appealing as well

jason

Don't get into the "why do you own venomous snakes..." debate. It's like the religion or hybrid debates- there is no right answer and everyone's going to give their own opinions- usually loudly and/or rudely.

Just say what you think about the adder and move on.

In regards to owning them, do you need different husbandry skills? Not with handling, I mean. I remember someone saying on a different site that they can "jump" and that having a top opening enclosure is a bad idea?

I have always had a facination for deaf adders. And indeed they do deserve a high amount of respect in all situations.

elapid@ my father and i had the same conversation recently about why aren't adders actually vipers when they look so similar and have such similar behaviours. i find your comments extremely interesting thanks.

So your adders are not defanged and can still give a venomous bite?

notchestiger

Its not advisable to have any gaps greater then 1mm with elapids, I have just a open door on my enclosure and my hand is well away from the bottom of the door as some times its right up front underneath its news paper and ready to strike... but really there easy to look after ,just dont get your self in its strike range.
About the jumping, they might get a little air born when they strike i havent wittness it so i cant say yes or no, They dont move around much just stay there in ambush mode and wait until they sense prey and use there tail as a lure, they are just awsome,in some area's because of clearing destruction of there habitat they are becoming rare.

Im not sure where i got this pic but i really love it. Great representation of the adder. I hope the photographer doesn't mind me posting it. And i hope you like it.

DjaraDeathAdder004.jpg

venomoids no way on earth would i support it.

So your adders are not defanged and can still give a venomous bite?

mine have there venom gland venom duct and fangs they have venom and it makes up for there size.

cheers steve

i dont agree with having fangs and vemon glands removed, its cruel, unnessessary and can kill the snakes. you dont respect the animal if you go to that extreme. in india the charmers remove the venom glands and the snake (cobra) dies in 60 -70 days. they should have their mouth sewen shut and see how they like it!!!

it's a reptile that commands respect, with highly toxic venom, lightning fast strike, big fangs (for its size), genius luring tactic, and fasinating colours. i could go on.
but thats why i love and respect it.

he just shed today so i will gett a nice pice of the neon yellow when i can get a mate with a good zoom camera. mine doesnt do i justice.... so watch this space.

boring snake (unlikley!!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back