My first clutch of Eggs! :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greggles91

Reaction score
Hi All,

I know this is pretty standard for a lot of you but thought id just share my excitement with you all anyway. My female Albino Darwin Carpet python has just laid her first clutch of eggs! photos of eggs and mum bellow.

there was a total of fifteen eggs. but only nine in the main mound and the other six separated as you can see bellow. not sure why she discarded so many, at least three of the eggs on the outside seemed healthy (I think).

anyway, eggs have been placed into the incubator and inside egg contained has been stable at 30.8 degrees. fingers crossed all goes well. I'm very nervous!

Cheers,

Greg

Attachments

• 20150406_092704.jpg
    20150406_092704.jpg
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 20151028_221404.jpg
    20151028_221404.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 197
Ha! The wait begins... Good luck! Doesn't matter how long you've been breeding, there's nothing like seeing the first heads pop out of the eggs one morning...

J

Wow so cool! Good luck mate, make sure you update us when they hatch! :)

Hey all,

What would be some of the reasons or causes for only 9 of the eggs being In the main clutch and the rest discarded by her?

Im probably over thinking but can it be due to a nest box being too small and her limiting the number of eggs she can curl up around? the nest box was pretty big in volume how ever longer than it was wide. will provide dimensions when I get home.

Hey all,

What would be some of the reasons or causes for only 9 of the eggs being In the main clutch and the rest discarded by her?

Im probably over thinking but can it be due to a nest box being too small and her limiting the number of eggs she can curl up around? the nest box was pretty big in volume how ever longer than it was wide. will provide dimensions when I get home.

Eggs discarded at time of laying usually have something wrong with them,infertile etc.By all means incubate them but my advice would be to cook them in a separate container just in case.

One of my greens laid a small clutch of eggs but was curled around six only with 5 around her. I think its more to do with being a first time mum than something wrong with the eggs. The box she laid in was at 31 degrees and the 5 discarded eggs were fine. Good luck

One of my greens laid a small clutch of eggs but was curled around six only with 5 around her. I think its more to do with being a first time mum than something wrong with the eggs. The box she laid in was at 31 degrees and the 5 discarded eggs were fine. Good luck
Oh right right. Well the discarded ones are sagging unlike the others but hopefully they are still good. I didn't find eggs till I got back from work so not sure how long they were there for. Fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Awesome Greg, congrats, your enthusiasm is shared, one day when I have a breeding sized pair and i get a first clutch, I will probably be just as excited. I do not think the excitement of some hatchies on the way would ever dampen

its okay to be excited its always an amazing experience when new reptiles are brought into the world...fingers crossed indeed that all goes well. i've never incubated before (I only have live birth lizards) incubation seems tricky so i hope all goes well

I have bred my girl several times, but it is always exciting. The only thing better than seeing the clutch is when that first little pink head pokes out. It is fantastic!

Thanks for all ur well wishes every one. Temps are steady and going well. :)

Quick update.

One egg wasn't fertile and was growing mould so it has been removed from the incubator. 9 in main clutch going well, 3 of the singular eggs are going well (I think) candles and looked ok but the tops are very sunken (like this before being out in incubator) and one egg is going well but has a little bit of mould on the tip. Going to use a bit of tinea powder if still like that when I open up the egg box next. Trying to only open it up once a week.

In regards to temps when incubation started incubator temp was consistent at 30.5 with an egg box temp of 31. The incubator temp has remained consistent at 30.5 how ever egg box temp has gone up to 31.5 and seems to be remaining consistent. I will be monitoring it to see if it goes up any more. If it does should I correct the thermostat to keep it closer to 31?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back