Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiloJ

Reaction score
Hi
My name is Miles
I am an Aussie living in Dublin currently
Just quit my job and coming home in a month or two
I am keeping a lot of colourbrids (corns, kings, milks, bulls, gophers, trinkets, etc) and a rear fanged (boiga cyanea) currently. I treat the boiga like a hot even though it is rear fanged cos I dont want a bite!

Anyway.

I love red bellied black snakes

Interested in getting one. I know I need an advanced licence but I am probably settling in Victoria again, so it wont be an issue.

Are these the best choice as a first elapid?

Anyone here been bit?

I hear there have been no fatalities.

Had I stayed here I was getting a copperhead viper next week!

its a good choice for a first elapid...
im a big fan of the hoplocephalus genus... pale heads, stephen bandeds etc, but the black snakes are beautiful snakes.

Hey Miles, Rbb's good choice for 1st Elapid, available in Vic. Yes have been bit, couple of times, in 40 yrs, not much fun, [in fact no fun at all!] but still alive. I always understood that there has been no fatalities re bites. Welcome back!

not there yet!

What about boiga species over in oz? What are there? Just brown and green tree snakes? No Mangroves? Mangoves are so pretty

You'll have to get a specific licence to keep elapids. Depending on which state you live in it may take time to get one. Some states require you to have a recreational licence for atleast 12months before you can upgrade to keep elapids. Others require you to complete a course before applying for a restricted permit. References are always asked for also.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps/future-elapid-keepers-76605

Safe trip back home mate
Den

With the keeping of venomous snakes, are you not worried about being bitten and dying? :shock:

Is there a certain safety protocol you follow when you are handling them? In case of a bite I mean?

As you stated getting your lic to keep venomous snakes in victoria is very easy. RBBS is a great choice, my first ven was an RBBS. RBBS are usually quite calm in captivity. Bites aren't real deadly from what I hear, havn't been biten myself but I think there's only been one recorded death? RBBS are fairly easily bought too, next season I think there will be a lot available. Let me know when you are chasing one.

Punja

I am going to be BLOODY careful!

I touch down May 5, so, depending on how long it takes me to get a place and a licence, I should be buying before June.

They seem cheap too.

It is odd. Here a nice boa will cost you AUD500, whereas a rattlesnake will cost you AUD70!

In VIC, do I need a written reference? Can it come from someone outside VIC?

they say a bite can cause temp. or perminant loss of taste and smell.. i'm not keen to find out

I know a bloke who was bitten by a Mulga hatchie, although he has shifted interstate, I understand he has lost taste and smell. I copped a servere RBB 34 yrs ago and I'm fine!

taste and smell

how goddamn odd

useful for changing babies nappies i guess....

thought about this

not 100% sure i am ready

what rear fanged aussie snakes are there?

brown tree snakes and....

shlanger, did you have to go to hospital and/or get antivenom? I'd love to own some rbblacks and tigers once I leave home (because Mum would FREAK if I brought one home).

So can you guys and gals tell me what rear fanged aussie snakes there are?

So far I have found boiga irregularis, couple of water snakes and thats it

I am looking for a danger factor between a carpet python and a taipan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back