My first levis!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what makes me angry Tasha

The countless newbies that purchase animals not knowing diddly squat about them

Show some initiative and research the animal you plan to keep not just wack them together
And hope for the best

It's pretty simple Tasha .... The only difference between me and a few others I'll tell you how it is and no pussy foot around the point

If you have a problem with that pm me and we will discuss it in depth
You did give good advice but the 1st comment was so " no pussy footing around " and if i was stressed myself about my animals that wernt doing so well that comment would have made me feel even worse, like i said ppl's advice on here is well and truly beyond valuable as alot of online sites give vague and some little knowledge yr right in saying that the initial research should have been done i agree 110% but as a newbie myself (which we all were once) i would have been deterred to come back and ask for advice again, sorry if i offended some ppl but remember thier are some kids on here that would just love a boost of confidence in knowing that that there are ppl in the forum that are not here to judge their lack of knowledge and 2 really help and promote good reptile information

Lack of knowledge in regards to basic care in most peoples books = don't buy an animal

Your comments and not warranted or valid seeing as your a newbie yourself

Kepp it nice guys. No one wants this thread deleted as its a good reference fro the original poster and others new to knobbies.

Lack of knowledge in regards to basic care in most peoples books = don't buy an animal

Your comments and not warranted or valid seeing as your a newbie yourself
actually everyones comments are valid and my comment was to yr approach not advice read it propely..

Do you keep knobtails Tasha ?

And jay you know how I roll :lol:

Do you keep knobtails Tasha ?

And jay you know how I roll :lol:
Nar not yet just got my 1st stimmy she amazing and really enjoying her but it was "very much researched and thought through" but still could not have managed through my 1st week of brining her home without great support from ppl on the forum (thanx ppl's) I think we should just agree 2 disagree cause like it was said above alot of advice from others and yrself dosent need to be deleted because of difference of opinion, but like u i say it as it is and have no problem saying so.

WOW!!!!
Sorry everyone, I left the pc and got a little bit of shut-eye as i didnt get much last night.
Kupper, Jay84, Sarah and all the rest I've missed out coz I can't scroll back to find your names (sorry), thank you so much for your wealth of knowledge!
Everyone's input has been a mountain more than I have found in the books and other forums I've searched on, nothing like veterans to be able to diagnose a problem.
Tasha00, thanks for standing up for me, I wasn't expecting the post I got and yeah, it knocked me back a bit, especially when I was after assistance on how to fix the problem, not divert from it, but if I didn't come back, the situation wouldn't of been fixed either and I'd still be at square one in a heap with no idea what to do and taking in the wrong info like I had been. Again, thanks to all who posted, I will continue to update as to how they are going. Eating at the moment and drinking well.
My corner hog is out and about and the other is running all over the shop, well moreso.

-give them some sunlight - but do not leave them in the sum for more than 5 minutes - they can die from heat exhaustion VERY quickly

This is another thing that gets to me,. I cant stand people that have no idea giving out wrong information!!
Knob Tail Geckos DON'T need sunlight,. if anything you will stress them out, Please dont follow this advice!!

Kupper, they are now in 2 seperate containers i have placed on the heat mat.

Half on, half off for a hot and cold section.

Both are getting their fair share or spritzing and will be fed in a couple of hours.

This is another thing that gets to me,. I cant stand people that have no idea giving out wrong information!!
Knob Tail Geckos DON'T need sunlight,. if anything you will stress them out, Please dont follow this advice!!

I have asked what he meant by this but no response since?

I can just imagine the poor little things fearing for their lives exposed in the sunlight!

some things for you to try...
-put some fruit in the crickets box, this will make the crickets have a higher water contant, therefore hydrating your gex
-spray the sides of the tank daily (they will lick the water off the glass sides)
-dust the crickets with calcium powder, and possibly vitamin D powder if you can get some from a petshop .
-give them some sunlight - but do not leave them in the sum for more than 5 minutes - they can die from heat exhaustion VERY quickly
-make sure they have enough heat (if needed, get a bigger heat mat, or have less substrate)
-make sure they can escape this heat
-try offering them slightly smaller crickets, or put the crickets in the fridge for 5 minutes before you feed them to your geckoes, this will make them less active, and the lizards will ude less effort to catch them

if you do all this, you should be on your way to having healthier, happier, plumper geckoes ... :D

Oh my god... I was going to say that you shouldn't post advice of you have no background knowledge or information on the subject but I see you actually keep geckos! You should know that the sunlight will damage their sensitive eyes and messing around with such small animals with compromised health to start with is the worst idea...

Sorry, didn't answer that one earlier... but no, I haven't put them in sunlight.

good to see that they are nearly in good health :)
im enjoying reading this thread, all the info is great and i will use it all when i get my first knobbies hopefully near the end of the year :)

If getting food into them is a problem, would baby food/puree also work for geckos? I know that baby food (with no preservities, artificial nasties or sweeteners!) can be used for tempting other species back into to eating, but would this be an option for gex? :)

I am not sure about this as my knobbies feeding response is due to movement. If you put a dead cricket in the tub it will stay there uneaten.

LiasisKing.... i am still interested to hear why you would put your knobbies in the sunlight???

having the two in the same tank is fine as long as they have hides.. at the zoo i work at there are two in every tank with at least 2-3 hides and they seem to be fine.. we use water bowls (only small tho) as well as sparying the tank down.. we feed them crickets we put 4-6 in between every two and leave them in over night if any are still there in the morning we take them out.. we have above lights no heat mats, we also dont use calcium powder (we only use that on the iguanas) :)

having the two in the same tank is fine as long as they have hides.. at the zoo i work at there are two in every tank with at least 2-3 hides and they seem to be fine.. we use water bowls (only small tho) as well as sparying the tank down.. we feed them crickets we put 4-6 in between every two and leave them in over night if any are still there in the morning we take them out.. we have above lights no heat mats, we also dont use calcium powder (we only use that on the iguanas) :)

Firstly why are you condoning not using calcium seeing as MBD has been documented in geckos ?

and secondly when an animal is in that bad a condition it is wise to separate to improve condition

you say you work at a zoo ? which one do you work at?

Firstly why are you condoning not using calcium seeing as MBD has been documented in geckos ?

and secondly when an animal is in that bad a condition it is wise to separate to improve condition

you say you work at a zoo ? which one do you work at?
afternoon friend..lol have a look at my thread i have pics up ?

from what i have gathered about them as a species, they are from the desert (am i right there ?) in the desert, there is sun (i think) so in theory, some sunlight cannot be bad for them, obviously not full sun, but some is surely better than none ...

as with beardies as well apparently, taking them in the sun occasionally will bring out their colours (although that isn't really important)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back