My first levis!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thats awesome i'll be looking forward to see photos of them when they pick up some weight ..... dont forget to keep the cool end sand damp for them save on cave in's

To Richs - Happy birthday!! And, also, good on you for coping one on the chin but taking the good advice that was given to you by some of the super-experienced gex guys on here. It's so good that your little guys have improved and seem to be happy and healthier now! Updated pics? :)

To all - this was a really useful thread, for newbies, anyone thinking of getting knobbies, and anyone thinking of getting ANYTHING either without having done the research, OR, having done the research, but facing a problem early on and not knowing entirely how to deal with it on their own due to their newbiness.

At Jay, your advice was 100% helpful, constructive, and without criticism - awesome attitude, and one that's often not given enough on APS (including by myself, occasionally ;) ).

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!
Still not in a position to be able to name these guys yet due to knowledge of their sex, (have a rabbit that we named snowflake coz was sold as a female dwarf, actual fact, is neither female nor dwarf, believe he has been plotting our demise ever since) so for arguements sake G1 (slightly larger), and G2 (obviously slightly smaller) are both eating well above their weight class. 6-8 each/night at the moment and still have not chosen their favourite place in the enclosure.
Magnetic Rock is always fun at feeding time (stupid crickets run in to hide),
Gold Mine (terracotta dish in side of dirt mound) is the place of choice at night, and Bunker (terracotta dish over heat mat) is daylight hiding place.
Will place photos when I get the chance.

At Jay, your advice was 100% helpful, constructive, and without criticism - awesome attitude, and one that's often not given enough on APS (including by myself, occasionally ;) ).

Thanks Kristy! Although i can also be accused of non helpful comments sometimes lol.

Richs, that is so good to hear that they are still doing so well. Chomping down on 6-8 geckos a nigh they will be little fatties in no time! What a great result!

Maybe next time you take pics to post on here, include soe of their underside / vent area. We can all have a go at trying to sex them for you!

Hi guys,

I've read through the whole post a couple of times because two questions have come to mind as I've read it, but I couldn't see the answer. So, I'm just wondering;

1) What exactly is wrong with using a heat rock? How and why is a heat mat better?
2) Using a heat mat, would you recommend running it along the back wall of the enclosure (positioned vertically), or running it underneath part of the enclosure (and therefore underneath the substrate). If underneath is better, what depth of substrate would you recommend?

Thanks very much, this is a great forum and tool for people like me looking to learn more about how to care for our little critters.

the heat mat should fit 1/3 of the tank that one third of the tank only gets a thin layer of sand, the other end is the deep end with about 10cm or so of sand that is kept moist for them to dig in.

i would not use a heat rock and if you use a heatmat or heat cord it should be connected to a thermostat .

It seems I'm a little late to the thread but a couple extra points could do with a mention.

Richs,
You replaced the white/yellow sand with some kind of red sand. Just make sure any sand you use as a substrate it a natural sand. Some sands are produced with a crushing process that leaves the edges of the grains razor sharp, thus harming your geckos feet.

Also, be very careful with the magnetic hide. There have been numerous reports of limbs and feet getting pinched or broken due to snapping action of the magnets when the two halves are brought together.

Also, be very careful with the magnetic hide. There have been numerous reports of limbs and feet getting pinched or broken due to snapping action of the magnets when the two halves are brought together.

I have never used one of these hides before, but i thought the half that remains in the encloseure is 'stuck' to the glass? So it shouldn't be possible for any broken feet or limbs?

I can't see their value with Levis?

We did get one to use with pythons. Both bits come apart (with force) and snap back together with considerable force.
I can see how you could hurt your animal or even break the glass if you were not careful.
We chose not to use it.

im not even strong enough to pull the one i have apart (yes im a weakling lol), so i dont use it, but if i did i wouldnt recommend if for lizards...

Hi all,
Thanks for the concern with regards to the magnetic rock. My guys/girls (still not sure of sex, photo's pending) use it like bunk beds. 1 prefers the top, the other prefers the bottom, provided they aren't playing hide and seek in the mine or bunker that is. With regards to seperating the pieces, i use the sand to make sure it sits flush against the glass and slide the outside piece into place rather than place it back directly onto the magnets. With the sand acting as a buffer, the inside piece doesn't move and there is no "snapping".
I can't really see why or how limbs would get in the way if the inside piece is flush and once it's put there, there is no reason I can see to move it. Unless for cleaning or changing the sand but I take the geckos out of the enclosure before doing that anyways?
Photo's over the weekend all and thanks for your help so far, kids have grown a lot!

YAY !!!! pics pics pics! Cant wait to see how they have improved. I am really pleased they are going well.

always a good thing to see someone get their animals back on track well done mate, and well done for handling the criticism the way you did.

I have kept reptiles now in Australia as well as South Africa and always found that negative criticism was the hardest to hear.

cant wait to see your updated pics i am sure they are doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back