My First Snake....And First Bite!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Handled him no worries, not sure how but he managed to tip his water bowl over and completely saturate his enclosure. The bowl with water in it probably weighs 1.5kg so im really stumped as to how he has flipped it. To add to that the bowl was sitting right side up seemingly in the same place so the plot thickens. Perhaps he has done it because he is going into shed? I live on the Gold Coast though so humidity is already high and his water bowl is ample size to submerge himself. Also haven't noticed any markers of shedding but I'm definitely not use to his 'normal' colours yet.

Anyways heres some photos I got, unfortunately the ones I took with him in my hands were blurry.

Kirby 10 months.jpg Kirby 10 Month.jpg

edit: You can't see in the photos but he has little marks on either side of his mouth, more towards the underside of his head, difficult to describe. Wanted to know if these were just markings or something else, google came up with nothing helpful

Last edited:
Just looked up some photos of diamonds heat pits and I think your spot on! Sorry for the newbie question -.-
[doublepost=1512904504,1512441017][/doublepost]So just had an interesting experience with him....

Handled him 3 times last week for 5-10 minutes, twice he was searching around and generally comfortable/active. The third time he ended up coiled around my thumb, not moving much and squeezing. I figure this was him being uncomfortable and scared, I sat still with him for about 5 or so minutes before he loosened up a bit but still wasn't as chill as the previous two times so put him back into his enclosure. None of these occasions did he strike.

He then ate no worries at all for me 2 days after the *nervous* handling, smashed his fuzzy in seconds. 2 days passed and I've got him out for more handling. As he was halfway wrapped on the hook and halfway on my hand he has turned around and bit himself, immediately letting go. The portion of his body he bit was not even close to my hand so not sure what he was doing there. From there he has managed to wrap himself nicely around my thumb without letting go of the hook (hook is just a straightened out coat hanger) and i can feel him tensing. So he has my left hand (mainly the thumb) and the hook wrapped up, at no point do i put my right hand near him, it is supporting the hook.

Figuring again he just wasn't in the mood I sat still and waited for him to relax. Early in this waiting game I feel what may have been him attempting to bite my palm, my hand was face down so I couldn't see his head (I see no marks on my palm now). After about 40 minutes he still wasn't budging, he had occasionally giving my hand a bit of an inspection but mainly he sat very still and was periodically tensing, was kinda strange, he would squeeze hard for a second then go back to his firm hold then repeat this sometimes every 5-10 seconds sometimes once a minute. Somewhere in the 40 minutes he did a big yawn, stretching his mouth out wide. At this stage I put my hand (and the hook is still awkwardly held by him) into his enclosure hoping he would want to retreat to a hide. He kinda poked his head around but was not letting go of me or that hook!

I sit down next to his enclosure, not really sure what to do but figured i would just wait it out, I can feel my pulse in my thumb. Now he starts really checking my hand out, my thumb is wrapped by him and i have the rest of my fingers together but my hand is held open, kinda like a claw. He rubs his head all of my palm, my fingers, Then he starts tryna stick his head through my fingers and at first I dont let him. He goes back to inspecting for a bit then is back to poking between my fingers, this time I open them up interested if he is just looking to crawl through. Then he opens his mouth and proceeds to bite me on the webbing of my fingers, wasn't a strike but he did draw tiny amount of blood. After a few seconds he sees this isnt working and moves around a bit before biting my pointer near the base. He ends up biting me maybe 4 times, each time holding on for no more then 5 seconds.

I wasn't panicking but I definitely wasn't comfortable either, I kept my hand relatively motionless throughout. Eventually I got a stick from his enclosure and half enticed him onto it before sliding my thumb out of his grip. All up it would of been close to an hour. So what the hell happened? I'm guessing he thought my hand was a prey item and the squeezing was him constricting it, then all the inspecting was trying to figure out how he was gunna eat it.

This was 2 days after his feed, I had just washed my hands (I was them before any interaction with him/his enclosure). He was actively searching around his enclosure for about 20 minutes afterwards but has now gone to his favourite hide.

After a few times hopefully he realises my hand isn't for eating! My big question would be if this happens again what can I do? It was a strange experience, having him wrapped around my hand and letting him bite me here and there. Luckily his teeth are so little and the pain was very minor.

Well described, Nerdhero. Too often we get posts on here that ask similar questions, but with no detail.
What you've described sounds exactly like you have guessed. Your python thought your hand/finger was food, even without striking. What size and how often are you feeding him? Possibly you need to increase the food size.
And it sounds like you handled the situation perfectly.

Little bugger is trying to live up to his namesake!!

I've been feeding him fuzzy mice. The time between his 1st and 2nd feed was 6 days. I handled him 2 days after the feed. I think i could definitely move up and was thinking of going for weaner mice.

Any other advice if i end up in a similar situation? I obviously want to stop him associating my hand and any others with food. Should i continue handling every 3 or so days. And would it be okay to feed him 2 fuzzies to finish off the rest.

Thanks as always for the advice

Last edited:
Try and handle him at a different time of day to what you feed him, and maybe give it an extra day before handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back