Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Viper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone... Over the past several years I have wanted to get a snake and the other day I decided to get my R1 license. Unfortunately I am not that familiar with snakes and have only held a few over the years, most recently an Olive Python in QLD while on holidays. I find snake mesmerizing and quite fascinating creatures and have known quite a few people who have owned them...

My question is what I should purchase keeping in mind its my first snake and I don't want a small snake when it matures. I am really not interested in upgrading my snake later on either, I want to buy just the one, for now. I am waiting for the arrival of a highly recommended book - Care Of Australian Reptiles in Captivity by John Weigel to gain some insight into keeping a snake. I have also researched a local vet in Camden, NSW that specializes in reptiles. I am not familiar with enclosures or heating methods although a few people I know can assist.

I am interested in a few snakes including an Olive or Carpet. Obviously I'd like something placid enough to interact with my family including my 2 1/2 year old. I am in no rush to run out and buy one but I want to be prepared and more informed.

I would appreciate any comments or recommendations that you have...

I wouldn't get a olive as a first snake, I have one and they are generally placid but if you do get a snake with a bad Attitude a fully grown olive might be a little to dangerous to be around kids that young, I would recommend a carpet python I've had a few, great snakes and need a lot less space when considering enclosure size.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Hayden, I've been told that Olives can be aggressive but a few guys that I have spoken to said they are their preferred choice. I will keep a lookout for a carpet python but is there any specific type of carpet one that grows fairy large ? Is a Coastal Carpet Python OK ?

in my limited exp ,it really depends on personal preference if you want a snake that grows largish i would have a look into centralian carpet pythons(bredli),black headed pythons,coastal carpet pythons ,bhp's, Bredli and coastals grow fairly large and some can become quite docile

great first snakes that grows to a decent size are coastals, bhp's, bredli, murray darling, darwins, and womas (larger locality ones though).

i own all these species and have to say my adult coastals and bredli's are the calmest and most placid and never struck, my younger coastals and bredli's are all nuts and stick at anything. so wen you buy ask to hold the snake first and try and get one who does not strike you and is calm.

if your talking about the vet at camden university they are great been there a few times.

Last edited:
CC_Viper,
Carpets make fantastic first-time pythons. As a general rule, Darwin and Jungle carpets tend to be a bit snappier than the rest, and all the carpet sub species grow to an average of 3 metres over time. The Cobbitty Avian, Reptile and Exotic Vet hospital is god, David knows his stuff :)
There's also a retail store not far from Camden that sells pythons that might be worth checking out, this way you can at least view the different varieties available to the beginner hobbyist.

Ryan
(Fellow Camden herper :) )

Good luck!

Good luck stopping at one snake. Its a hard thing to do.:D

Thanks for the great info guys, I think I'll hold off on the Olive Python for a while. What is the difference between a Coastal and a Bredli ? Is it best to buy a hatchling or a yearling ? I guess in the end of the day it is personal preference but I am curious how much a hatchlings color can change as they mature. I think the color of the snake is quite significant especially as I'll have it for many years. If you see the parents can you predict the actual final color of an individual snake from the group ?

Fluffy: I think I many acquire more snakes over time but just one for now...

I've decided on a 1 1/2 year old Coastal as my first snake, it was a rescued animal and handles quite well. I may pick it up this weekend if all goes well... I also have purchased a used 900x600x350mm melamine enclosure as well which I will disinfect when I get it tomorrow... My only concern is heating, do I use a heat cord or heat lamp or a combination... Also do I use an eco tech or similar digital thermostat or just use a basic "dial" type ? I have been advised that all digital units are crap (The Reptile Shop - Narellan,NSW) and temps can fluctuate up to 6'C... The unit I have purchased has a basic white square thermostat dial on the back wall of the enclosure about 1/2 way up the height... Let me know your thoughts

i suggest using a heat lamp which is what i use and keeps a constant temperature day and night. I personally don't use any of the fancy thermostats because the one i bought cost around $200 and is terrible and harsh on my heat lamp, so now i use a B1 digital micro climate thermostats (i recommend these) which only dim the light and are great! , The reptile shop in narellan is a great place they really know what there talking about i bought my albino darwin and het darwin from there and have had no problems! nice choice btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back