My home made Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonustokin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey all,
thought i would show you my spotted pythons new enclosure... took me a day :)

I stuffed up with the Varnish though, So i am going to wait a few days, and go over it with some water based floor sealer..... hopefully this will seal the Varnish i used.... :?
Cheers.

nice work!

:D Nice enclosure dude! Like the lock idea. Have never met a snake that can use a key :lol:

good work mate look's good did u get the glass specially cut with the groove's to use to open it and if so how much?

scotch, i got a bargin with the glass, there is a shop at the dump where i live, and the guy there goes and collects things from the dump to sell in his store... i got the glass and the wooden runners it slides in, out of a old cabnet which was $3 :D So i built the box to fit that glass and the wooden runners. ( the wooden runners are the dark brown wood around the sliding doors, in the pic) I couldnt beleive how cheap it was... I couldnt tell you how much the glass is if you bought it new.... sorry....
Peace.

Bonustokin said:
hey all,
thought i would show you my spotted pythons new enclosure... took me a day :)

I stuffed up with the Varnish though, So i am going to wait a few days, and go over it with some water based floor sealer..... hopefully this will seal the Varnish i used.... :?
Cheers.

No need to go over it again with floor sealer.Just give it plenty of time to fully cure and air out.

ah ok thankyou! i have been waiting for a answer on that! thankyou so much! how long would you wait?

Good job mate but there is one thing that worries me a little bit.That is the top of the enclosure.If you're putting a spotted in there they still like to climb dont you think it might rub itself on the steel gores therefore resulting in snout abrasion and possibly become infected.If it was a lizard such as a central netted dragon or a skink or something like that that would be fine but good job anyway.

Good job mate but there is one thing that worries me a little bit.That is the top of the enclosure.If you're putting a spotted in there they still like to climb dont you think it might rub itself on the steel gores therefore resulting in snout abrasion and possibly become infected.If it was a lizard such as a central netted dragon or a skink or something like that that would be fine but good job anyway.

Im only new with reptiles and snakes, i havent heard of snout abrasion before....
The gores is called "mouse and snake wire", i hope it's ok.
cheers.

We had a snake that liked to push her snout up through the little holes in the snake/mouse wire, which resulted in a little mark on her snout (one shed and it was gone).

We ended up taking out the wire, and using plastic vents that we picked up cheap at bunnings. The ones we got we actually turned it upside down, just so it was even safer. We have had no problems with rubbing now at all.

Bonustokin said:
ah ok thankyou! i have been waiting for a answer on that! thankyou so much! how long would you wait?

Cant tell you how long it will take.Just dont use it until all the fumes have dissapated.ie: you cant smell the varnish.

You can either put it out in the sun to help cure it faster or run the heat source.Either way should speed things up.

It would be useful to take off the mouse wire, and put some of the plastic flywire underneath it, then place the mouse wire over it for strength. (that is, the snakes can ony contact the softer flywire). The black plastic flyscreen is far less abrasive and unlikely to cause damage to your snake's nose. Wire netting is a no-no for snake cages - but oddly enough not usually a problem in aviaries if the snakes are kept out of doors. Seems the smaller areas of wire in a cage are a focus for the snake to try and get through. Worth doing. Also with such a laege opening at the top. you may need to partly cover it to keep heat in - it will let most of the heat escape as it is now.

Otherwise, a nice looking unit.

Cheers, Jamie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back