My last say on all of this .

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Reaction score
Frist of all i'd just like to say in the 7/8yrs i've been keeping reptiles i have never had an adult animal die from any kind of illness or sickness in my collection in them 7/8yrs, but did however have some hatchling die this year, after my herproom got over 40 degrees for a long peroid of time, as i do not have air-con for the room yet.

I will be euthanise my whole collection of pythons an destroy all cages an equipment, cause i feel it is the best thing to for the reptile keeping hobby in Australia an will be testing romdom animals in my collection to see if anythink is really there.

Further more due to all of this i will be getting out of reptiles for a 12/18mths peroid of time an will start all over again will new animals, cages an equipment.

Thank you,
luke warren.

Sorry to hear that Luke. I remembered in the original post by Pilbara, hearing that you had lost some hatchies due to heat. Pity the vet came up with swine flu...oops... I mean OPMV. I personally feel you have been the victim of a good old fashioned lynching. Wish you all the best, hope you get back on the horse soon mate. Cheers.

bloody hell!!
is there anyway you can test get your snakes tested before you end all lives that could possibly have nothing wrong with them?

this sucks so much...:( feel for you man.

you haven't read the other thread's on the subject, don't worry about it.

can a baby snake show all those sign's from the heat or stress of being frieghted?

cause its strange how the other 2 of his are perfectly fine.

I think what your doing is very wrong, Why don’t we go to Mexico and kill everyone so the Swine flu doesn’t spread. We’ll do it to everyone just in case we “think” they have it.

It’s the same concept as your snakes, if you are not 100% sure they have OPMV who are you to decide to end their lives.

I don’t mean to sound harsh but these are living animals and you are not god to decide who lives and dies so don’t do it I say.

It's a shame when a virus (be it paramyxovirus or alike)

sweeps through collection.

At least you are doing the responsible thing..

I believe had you not decided to take any action on the situation

that would be a negligent thing to do.. so,

good on you for stepping up & doing the right thing.

All the best with future endeavors.

very sorry to hear tht :(
i wouldnt have the strength to do what u r saying.

G'day Luke,

I'm so very sorry. I can only imagine how devastating it must be to be going through all of this. I think you've handled this situation with more maturity and decency than many in your situation would have.

Good luck, and remember to call as soon as you decide to get back into it again. I'm sure we'll be able to help you out.

Cheers

Kersten

iceman,
totally feel for you man,,,, this would have to be one of the hardest things to ever hit a person when keeping reptiles.

hope to see you back soon.

That is very sad. Is there no way to confirm?

I know, for example, I would not want to put down all my horses just because of a *suspected* case of equine flu...

thats still very extreme at this stage Luke.just keep them isolated for 12-18 months instead and see if there are any issues and if you are confident that there arent any opmv issues ,id let them live.
to much heat will kill any python and it certainly sounds like the issue you had. i have been consulting with a couple knowledgable vets and breeders studing DPS and even though it mostly happens to diamonds, it will also happen to most species of pythons that are kept to hot,even for just a couple months. and unfortunatly it has some of the symptoms of opmv .when snakes are kept to hot it effects their hormones and thyroid gland and thats when they start having issues with their nervous system and brittle bones.you can give them all the calcium and uvb you want but it wont be converted to the body.
i hope you give them a go and hold onto them for a while
cheers
simon

fidzy said:
I think what your doing is very wrong, Why don’t we go to Mexico and kill everyone so the Swine flu doesn’t spread. We’ll do it to everyone just in case we “think” they have it.

It’s the same concept as your snakes, if you are not 100% sure they have OPMV who are you to decide to end their lives.

I don’t mean to sound harsh but these are living animals and you are not god to decide who lives and dies so don’t do it I say.

You obviously don't know enough about the virus (or those like it). It's believed to be able to lay dormant in reptiles for a very, very long period of time. Some say six months, others say three years. Are you actually expecting iceman to go into COMPLETE lockdown for possibly three years or more? Any of his reptiles could have a virus, he'd never know, and if he were to sell it, he'd be unknowingly passing it along.

No, it's certainly not nice that he's going to euthanise his entire python collection, but it is the proper thing to do.

If one of your snakes became infected with a virus, and you didn't euthanise your collection, could you sleep at night knowing that you could potentially be spreading the virus? Any equipment or animals you sell could pass it along. Just someone coming inside your house and being in your snake room could pass it along to their collection (as we are still pretty unsure how it is spread). Could you be happy with that knowledge?

thats still very extreme at this stage Luke.just keep them isolated for 12-18 months instead and see if there are any issues and if you are confident that there arent any opmv issues ,id let them live.
to much heat will kill any python and it certainly sounds like the issue you had. i have been consulting with a couple knowledgable vets and breeders studing DPS and even though it mostly happens to diamonds, it will also happen to most species of pythons that are kept to hot,even for just a couple months. and unfortunatly it has some of the symptoms of opmv .when snakes are kept to hot it effects their hormones and thyroid gland and thats when they start having issues with their nervous system and brittle bones.you can give them all the calcium and uvb you want but it wont be converted to the body.
i hope you give them a go and hold onto them for a while
cheers
simon
x2 All the best.

Thats a huge shame....
In fact i simply couldnt do it, its even depressing to hear about and they arnt my animals!
This is all such a huge tradgedy.

I hope that you can maybe trace it back to where it may have entered your collection from in hopes to stop the cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back