My Murray 'Darling'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasHobbes

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I know it's not an original idea but I am on the path of snake ownership and my friends won't listen, so I'm going to post here to gloat about my excitement!

A few months ago, a previously dormant reptile infatuation fervently returned (still unsure of the catalyst). I had owned bearded dragons as a pre-pubescent but after having to say goodbye to them, that all too familiar state of reptile enthusiasm receded, only to return at the start of the year, with a vengeance.

This newly found energy for all this reptilian launched me into forums, journals and websites as I attempted to assuage the insatiable hunger for knowledge that all reptile owners know.

All of that research eventuated with one logical course of action; snake ownership. Further late nights staring at a laptop screen and considering the plethora of breeds, landing me on a Murray Darling Carpet Python Hatchling. Their temperament size and personality seemed perfect for a first time owner and, more specifically, for me.

And so it begun...

I read a number of profiles on Murrays and stumbled across a few very informative care sheets. So I started visiting reptile stores around Melbourne, armed with an impending license arrival, a proverbial brain-full of snake information, and even more questions.

A forum on this site (Which, upon finding, I immediately joined :)) led me to Amazing Amazon in Glen Waverley where I met and held my first Murray Darling, and was instantly in love!

Another few weeks of searching and I found a wonderful breeder named Michelle in the western suburbs with a litter of MDs and after holding a few, I met what would become my first ever snake.

With a beautifully even silver pattern and eyes that saw right through me, I picked up this lovely little 7 month old Murray Darling with armed cautious optimism as a lifetime of potential future memories flooded through my mind.

Without even needing to use a second hand, this gorgeous little creature was more than content to be held by me. As it explored my right hand, it sprawled in and around my fingers before settling on my wrist, where it wrapped itself around, almost imitating a bracelet. As I mused with Michelle, I knew this snake liked me and it appeared more than happy to act as the bracelet I never had, and the snake I always wanted. This was the day I purchased my first snake.

Now, as I wait for my license to arrive so I can go pick up my new best friend, the excitement is palpable as I set up the enclosure and contemplate my new life as a Snake Owner.

Will Keep you guys updated

Cheers,
Aaron

Very descriptive enthusiasm. The hard part is the wait. When the day comes I hope your little 'Darling' settles in nicely for you and all goes well. :)

G'day!
Nice to meet you Aaron.
You sound like a decent bloke with a decent obsession. I love it.
Thanx for sharing your excitement and passion.
I bet your checking the mailbox every 5 minutes. Aha.
Can't wait for updates :D
Oh and I plan on going to Amazing Amazon for the first time myself this Saturday.... jumpin out of my skin.

Welcome mate,

I have often eyed off the snakes in Amazing Amazon.

On a side note, whats the size of an adult MD?

Good work! I love my Murray Darling, he's very sweet. I got mine when he was 7 months old, they grow quick! You'll have to post some pictures when you bring it home :)

So After an excruciating and painful month wait (thank you DSE), last night I picked up my beautiful new snake.

TaraLeigh was absolutely right, from the moment I sent off the application, not a single day passed without me checking my mailbox at least twice, which, as I'm sure you can imagine, made the almost 5 weeks feel like 5 months.

The waiting period did wonders for my herpetology knowledge but was a disaster for my hip pocket, after spending excess of $400 on reptile supplies between July and August.

The consequence of which is that Nersh will have such an incredible habitat and never get bored.

Incidentally, I should note that I decided on a name. Inertial Thrust. Other physics nerds out there will appreciate it and hopefully anyone else enjoys the slight irony of it. My housemates and I have abbreviated it simply to 'Nersh', which is very cute and fitting.

Have started setting up the tank as you can somewhat ascertain in the below photo, but further construction is needed, so I will post a completed photo within a week.

So without further a dew, 'Nersh'

24-825.jpg

24-815.jpg

Last edited:
So wonderful to hear.
I'm so happy for you.
Awesome naming. I don't understand. But it sounds good.
But yuh. I can see no photos! :shock::cry:

Only thing I can see there with that set up - you have the click clack in the larger enclosure yes? Is there enough of a hot "spot" and enough of a gradient/varience in temperature for the little one to pick how warm it needs to be?

You've probly got that all sorted, I'm just a worry wort :p

It's really nice too btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back