My new baby GTP!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome Gtp soo cool wish i could get one...

Nice work, hope he/she settles in well :)

You will love watching the colour changes... seems like a noooice little snake, not too flighty.

Best of luck.

Do you have pics of parents to share?

Nice mate. Good to see you ended up geting one :) who bred this little tacker?

Cheers Brenton

Nice little snake. Why are you using this massive hook? If you gently picked him up with your warm fingers, supporting his whole body, he will feel less agitated. JMO

Nice little snake. Why are you using this massive hook? If you gently picked him up with your warm fingers, supporting his whole body, he will feel less agitated. JMO

I thought coming in from the bottom would be less agitating to the snake... and all the horrors I have heard of they are very delicate I was a little over cautious :) I don't normally use the hooks for my snakes but just to get him up a little..

Ultimate Reptiles is where I got it from in SA, she looks wonderful so I am stoked :)

Tri Colour / Blue Belly - are the parents on there site, but I can't find any of Blue Belly... (I assume heshe is blue!) lol... I'm getting some sent to me later

Of all the Pythons, the Green Tree Python is the one I would love to keep. I have spent this past year reading about them and becoming confident in handling my other Pythons. I am going to spend another year fine tuning my herp skills and also saving(figured it will take that long)for my long awaited GTP, I am also looking at breeders and checking out their web sites etc I may be going into over kill, but I dont want to leave anything to chance. I am looking forward to any more pics you put up :D

Of all the Pythons, the Green Tree Python is the one I would love to keep. I have spent this past year reading about them and becoming confident in handling my other Pythons. I am going to spend another year fine tuning my herp skills and also saving(figured it will take that long)for my long awaited GTP, I am also looking at breeders and checking out their web sites etc I may be going into over kill, but I dont want to leave anything to chance. I am looking forward to any more pics you put up :D

I'm going to leave him/her for a week (just the misting) let it settle in and offer a feed maybe next week. I'll try to take more photo's videos.

The main reason is these were my end goal (or albino darwin) but as I enjoy aboreal snakes more the choice was made easy.

veenarm...l feel its people like yourself giving greens a bad name amongst others, now you have said you have heard of many stories of greens being damaged through handling well l have had greens for many years and so have my mates and haven't heard of one so if you could relate some first hand experiences l will change my views on this subject but l feel with sensible handling they are good to handle and if they are so fragile holey dooley how do the go surviving in the tropical rainforest l never hear of anyone that goes up to cape york saying that all the wild greens have broken spines/tails.....just maybe being handled by a giant hook and kept in a chinese takeaway might make them suseptable to injury by not allowing them to climb as surprise surprise they are climbers/arboreal which tones their whole body and give them an appetite......solar 17 (Baden)

congrats NICE GTP only new to reptiles but one day i might have to get one (not for my son for me)

I have to admit I was a person that thought Greens were like spun glass and had to be handled with kid gloves, it wasnt till I researched that I found out they just need different keeping methods as do other species :) it is the tails that need to be watched out for(no pulling them off branches/perches etc) I have read that it is best not to "over handle" them, sometimes it can be how a person perceives what they have read too. By reading that they are thinner skinned than other Pythons can lead to a belief that they are fragile. I know next to nothing about GTP's but can see how new comers to their fan club can misunderstand information sometimes. All I can do is encourage people to really read and research and put questions to Experienced Owners/Breeders about their choice of reptile/animal.

Last edited:
I handled a GTP not so long ago and it was amazing, it didn't feel flimsy or 'breakable' was still strong and firm. They are awesome snakes, lucky lucky :)

This whole handling business comes down to common sense and some experience with snake handling in general.
Many breeders / owners don't handle their GTPs at all unless necessary (I am one of them), others handle them regularly, whist some people handle them excessively.

Think about it this way; GTPs are nocturnal in habit and NEED their rest during the day, just like diurnal species should be left alone at night. Night time is when GTPs hunt and when in hunting (ambush) mode, they can bite anything that moves in their vicinity - including your hand. So, how good is handling GTPs? You decide - whether you want be happy while handling them or whether you want to have a happy GTP that's not being handled.

GTPs are arboreal species and given the opportunity, they will climb up and up, right up to the top of your head if you let them. Why not let them climb onto your fingers / hand instead of picking them up? A gentle tickle / touch on the tail usually prompts them to move. Likewise, putting them back into their enclosure, let them climb off you hand onto the perch rather that "putting" them onto it.

They can be prone to injury and stress when the above is disregarded or when people do stupid things while showing off their GTP to mates.

cheers
M

Veenarm why use that huge hook are you scared of geting a bite from a hatchie they cant even draw blood doesnt hurt at all

Maybe you didn't read what I put, I'm not afraid of getting bitten I've been bitten by 6feet jungles so it doesn't impact me, it was more i wanted to come from underneath and due to its size I thought the small hook was easier than my massive hand coming in and scaring the **** out of it...Also it wasn't a HUGE freaking hook the snake was VERY TINY and its one of the smallest hooks you can buy.....

I give them a bad name? I merely stated that I had heard they are more prone to injury and to use precaution. As it was my first one and my experience is hey limited into what all you people say on here and the books I have read I was as cautious as possible.

I have no intentions of handling him, I have other Carpets that are more than happy to be handled.

Baden, not everyone has the experience you do with animals and we act on what we do know. There are far worse things to do than what I did to move him from his (TEMPORARY SHIPPING CONTAINER) to his new home.

Any who, he's settling in well and will provide future updates :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back