My new Diamond - some tips please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be picky

But "can" the snake move the light?
Or is the mesh mounted to the cage?

Or is the light secured to the cage. A few screws around the outside of the lamp shade with the screw head holding the light down. No need to damage the light.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry to be picky

But "can" the snake move the light?
Or is the mesh mounted to the cage?

Or is the light secured to the cage. A few screws around the outside of the lamp shade with the screw head holding the light down. No need to damage the light.

The hole was actually the perfect size to 'wedge' the light in there... it's a pretty tight fit too so I didn't end up having to put any screws through it. The mesh is wedged in there by the reflector. The snake hasn't got a chance of pushing the light out of its spot - it's in there pretty good, I'd be lucky to remove it without bending the reflector. Just for good measure, there's screws around the outside of the big hole I cut stopping the lamp moving up or down as well

The hole was actually the perfect size to 'wedge' the light in there... it's a pretty tight fit too so I didn't end up having to put any screws through it. The mesh is wedged in there by the reflector. The snake hasn't got a change of pushing the light out of its spot - it's in there pretty good, I'd be lucky to remove it without bending the reflector

Perfect !

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That looks a much better setup. Has the snake got a basking spot under the heat light now? As someone else said this will encourage more activity as your snake moves around the enclosure thermo regulating. Great choice on a diamond in my opinion, just do some research on what temperature ragemes you should keep and get it onto some bigger rats and you'll have years of enjoyment.

That looks a much better setup. Has the snake got a basking spot under the heat light now? As someone else said this will encourage more activity as your snake moves around the enclosure thermo regulating. Great choice on a diamond in my opinion, just do some research on what temperature ragemes you should keep and get it onto some bigger rats and you'll have years of enjoyment.

Not yet, I need to pay a visit to the pet store to pick up an infra red lamp. He does still seem content with hanging out on the branches under the white lamp

You don't need an IR lamp, just a plain white 40w reflector globe from bunnings. No need for night heat so no need for overpriced reptile branded IR globes.

What license do diamonds come under in WA? I was looking at the keepers list and they only seem to approve of South Western Carpets and Stimmis or a Black Headed if you have a cat4. I love the way diamonds look and would really love to adopt an arboreal species of python. :D

UPDATE.

Just re-read the restrictions on owning pythons in WA :( we only have 5 species and 2 of those are a cat5 (deadly snakes category) the diamond is not among any of them.

Last edited:
Hi there, just re the gloves in your pic. Snakes are more likely to bite your hands than any other area; the most likely reaction of a person getting used to snakes is to withdraw the hand quickly if bitten. If you are wearing gloves, the teeth are very likely to snag and be pulled out. You then run the risk of mouth infection, which can be very dangerous to your pet and will be expensive to treat.

Sauron devoured his first "Juvenile Rat". This was quite a bit larger than the weaner rats he's been having and for a while I was worried he wouldn't eat it. He sorta hung onto it and sniffed at it for a good ten minutes before giving it a go. :)

17bLCpT.jpg

The patterns on your diamond are mesmerising...

Is that real pothos in the enclosure? If so how did you plant it? Cheers

hehe no just plastic... shhh don't tell anyone!

If the Exo Terra is a 10.0 as stated in original post (26W Exo Terra 10UVB light) then that light is not suitable at all and could do some irreversible damage to your snake. You want a 2.0.

If the Exo Terra is a 10.0 as stated in original post (26W Exo Terra 10UVB light) then that light is not suitable at all and could do some irreversible damage to your snake. You want a 2.0.

Thanks for the heads up :shock: I'll keep it off for now... Is it too much UV? How will it harm the snake?

Yes could definitely harm the snake. If you want to use UVB a 2.0 is best for snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back