My new Jugnle python, a few odd quirks.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironized

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My new Jungle python, a few odd quirks.

I've recently taken acquisition of a new jungle python, and have so far come across a few odd quirks with it, I thought I'd share for entertainments sake.

First was feeding it. I've grown up with snakes, and had never had any issues feeding them by hand. They'de always taken the food and done their thing.
My new little jungle is know exception to this, hes quite a fiesty little bugger, so hes all too keen to take the food. The interesting bit with him is once he has the food.

He sort of just... Sucks on it. it spent about 3 minutes, sucking on the side of the pinkie and it wasn't until I started to pull on the mouse a bit that he decided to constrict it, he then sat motionless sucking on the mouse for another few minutes, not adding any pressure or the like, just... sitting there sucking on it. I figured maybe he was a bit shy and put him back in his tank with the two mice and with in a few minutes they were both gone.

The second quirk, I understand that Jungles are cage defensive, he has bitten me countless times in the last week. However he gets that cage defensive sometimes, that I can be 2-3m away from his wooden enclosure. And he'll start striking at me through the glass... I've taken to keeping his tank covered though.

And the third. When I do get him out, hes fine with being handled. Hes at the point where if he is one hand, I can touch him with the other hand and get no reaction. Though he will actively crawl up onto my face... Wrap around my ear and then up ontop of my head. He then proceeds to curl up there, out of my site and with _No anchor_, he'll happily sit up there while I walk around the house (To find a mirror or to get someone to photograph it) The issue comes about that he will strike at you if you try to get him off your head.

Its always a bit of conundrum trying to grab a snake off of the top of your head with out being bitten... I'm yet to succeed.

And lastly, while in the process of getting him out of his tank and in his cage defensive feistiness, he has bitten himself a few times, once 3 times in a row. These weren't reaction bites or poor accuracy. He literally saw his own body, aimed and struck at it, repeatedly.
As far as I'm concerned I'm not too worried about his behavior, he is still settling in, young, small and a jungle.

Just thought I'd share some of the weird behaviors I've experienced so far.

edit: Failed at thread title, I apologize for that, I've been writing reports all day and I'm not quite on it.

Last edited:
Hahahaha sounds like a champ...maybe a little special but a champ none the least :p

Alittle strange but no supprise on the cage deffence and even when settled on your head (u wana be moved if your comfortable)...Mine was cage defensive but was handable out of enclosure so i just kept handling him ..keep him moving and hes as good as gold now...dont even use hook in enclosure every time now (depends where he is tho).....as much as mine as calmed down he hisses alot now...so i know he dont wana be handled but that just tough on his part...lol....tho i let him have a stroll round the house (sry...SLITHER)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back