My Snake Isn't Eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broidy

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm a little bit stuck..
I have a 8 year old bredli girl, I moved house July last year.
Since the move she has not eaten anything at all, I have tried everything I can to get her to eat. Vets have advised me that apart from being fat, she is healthy but has a slight wheeze when breathing.
The new house is a lot cooler. She is always under her heat lamp during the day but at night moves over to the cooler part of tank..
Can anybody help me on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried different food options? Eg a chicken or quail?
One of my girls was a pain after laying her eggs and decided she didn't want rats until I gave her a quail! She smashed that then afterwards happily munched away on rats again

Have you tried different food options? Eg a chicken or quail?
One of my girls was a pain after laying her eggs and decided she didn't want rats until I gave her a quail! She smashed that then afterwards happily munched away on rats again

I have tried to feed her Quail as well as different sized rats but she will sniff at it, then pull her head back really quick and move away from the food items. Have tried snipping the nose tip off rat as vet suggested but still no luck at all..
I have bought a rabbit to try her on that. Looks a bit big, buts she's 8ft 9" and 33kg so I'm sure she will be ok. She's not starving, but has always been a great feeder and seems odd to me.

Could be the different ambient temps of your new house, or it could be an age thing. Has she shown a pattern of eating less?

Could be the different ambient temps of your new house, or it could be an age thing. Has she shown a pattern of eating less?

Her last feed was 2 large rats a week before I moved. Then she just stopped. Her bathing spot is still 32 degrees as it always has been but yes ambient temperature of this house is a lot cooler. I will mover her to a warmer room, see if that helps. Thank you

33kgs???? [emoji33]

Yes she has lost 2kg since I last weighed her last year. The most gentle Python I have ever come across.

Is it possible she may not need feeding due to the weight she has on her?
I have an 8 and a half ft girl yes she is slender but she's only 4kgs?

Is it possible she may not need feeding due to the weight she has on her?
I have an 8 and a half ft girl yes she is slender but she's only 4kgs?

I haven't given that much thought actually, but how long can she not eat for? She has not eaten in 6 months now. I only have ever children's, and they always smash what ever I give them. So having a different snake is new to me, have only had her for just over a year

That does sound heavy for a snake. How long is it? Our first bredli got to 2 metres, and was about 8 when she died from a tumour. She was big and heavy, but nowhere near that heavy.

That does sound heavy for a snake. How long is it? Our first bredli got to 2 metres, and was about 8 when she died from a tumour. She was big and heavy, but nowhere near that heavy.

She is 8 ft 8 inches exactly. Has always been really weighty as long as I have had her, hasn't gained as I have kept her feeding schedule as previous owner advised me due to being quite plump. 2 large rats every 3 weeks..
Was getting 1 large rat every 10 days up until then.

I would slow that right down especially if your not breeding her?
Do you have a full body pic of her? Out of curiosity??
I would think more a good size rabbit every 3-4 weeks would be a better feeding suggestion?

Not trying to tell you what to do, but 2 large rats sounds a little excessive for a mature python. 1 large, or extra large rat every 10 days to 2 weeks is all we feed all of our adults.

Good call, Kittycat17. A rabbit, being a leaner food source, would help lose any excess weight, and help with the wheezing.

Ok thank you, I appreciate all the advice. And no she has never been bred from and never will be. I did wonder if she was getting to much. Haven't got a photo of her full body stretched out, I will put one up when I get home.
Cheers guys [emoji846]

Seems to be a huge influx of new members joining and posting for help over the past couple of weeks. Interesting that it coincides with King Knobby being banned.

Weird question, but have you checked the scales aren't weighing her in pounds?
Because 33 kilos is 15 (?) kilos, which I mean is still a lot but, well not as much as 33 kilos haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back