my spotted wants to eat me!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leviathan

Reaction score
my spotted python who is nearly a year old trys to eat my hand when i get him out,
he flicks hes tongoue at ony my hand and then bam! he latches on, hes done it like 3 times now, and hes getting quite aggresive at times. any one know a how i could deter him? if he keeps it up im gonna have to get rid of him =(
i love getting my snakes out and handling them is a big part for me and if he keeps this up im gonna have to sell him to someone who has time for him.

hey buddy. What is he eating and how often? perhaps he is due for an upsize in food.

hey buddy. What is he eating and how often? perhaps he is due for an upsize in food.

hey man, 1 fuzzy rat once a week. really dont no if i should be feeding a spotted python more than that per week

geez funny man!, doesnt exacly float my boat getting tagged by my snake every 2 seconds whilst holding it.
would rather some constructive comments thanks.

The only reason it would try eat your hand is if it has rodent sent on it or try using a hook or just let it climb out by it self might just be cage defensive or just in a bad mood

it sounds like it's a feed response ... try feeding it 2 or more fuzzies a week ... he'll take them if he's hungry.
also, as pythrulz said, try using a hook to retrieve him out of the enclosure, and maybe some gloves so he doesn't injure himself when he bites.

or, you may just have a demon spawn snake, like my mate has, who bites you at every chance he gets for no reason at all. in that case, enjoy ;) :p

If it's gets to a point where you don't feel comfortable removing your spotted from it's enclosure for cleaning and the like, it may well be to the critters benefit to move it on to someone else. It may or may not settle in time.

Trouble said:
or, you may just have a demon spawn snake, like my mate has, who bites you at every chance he gets for no reason at all. in that case, enjoy ;) :p

Meet Satan, the Devil-Spawn snake. He may look cute, but don't appear lax... or BAM! You'll find your fingers being chewed off by this monster...

Satan 1 by Ashlee Yarnold, on Flickr

I put detol with aloe vera on my hands before getting my snakes out. It's got a nice smell to it actually! When feeding time comes around I don't put it on my hands. This way they associate that smell as something other than food and it doesn't bring on a feeding response. The only time my male has bitten someone was when that hadn't put the detol on their hands. They had also been playing with dogs and cats so I can't imagine that helped either. Maybe give it a go?? I'm not sure if it's a bit late to try.

The only reason it would try eat your hand is if it has rodent sent on it or try using a hook or just let it climb out by it self might just be cage defensive or just in a bad mood

i use a hook to get him out, it cant be that i have rodent scent on me, i dont handle my snakes till 2-3 days after they eat so it cant be that,

I put detol with aloe vera on my hands before getting my snakes out. It's got a nice smell to it actually! When feeding time comes around I don't put it on my hands. This way they associate that smell as something other than food and it doesn't bring on a feeding response. The only time my male has bitten someone was when that hadn't put the detol on their hands. They had also been playing with dogs and cats so I can't imagine that helped either. Maybe give it a go?? I'm not sure if it's a bit late to try.

cheers thats not a bad idea, maybe ill rub something like that on my hands before handling and see what happens, hes not stressed either, hes so comfortable in his enclosure, hes really active constantly out and about but as soon as you get him out he turns plain old evil haha.

Get a teddy or a fluffy dog, constructive?

cheers mate, im sure people like you must get off on trying to belittle people via forums, i take my hat off to you.
i usually dont give people like you the pleasure of a reply coz im sure thats what you want, but its people like you that ruin forums for everyone else

Last edited:
Meet Satan, the Devil-Spawn snake. He may look cute, but don't appear lax... or BAM! You'll find your fingers being chewed off by this monster...

Satan 1 by Ashlee Yarnold, on Flickr

i have one that is satan spawn
it has never not bitten me when i have gotten it out and held it
absolute nutter
comes charging out when it sees me near the cage and no its not just cage protective
even after i manage to get it out it will bite and hold on for 30 mins +

one of my spotteds is a devil , but u learn to live with it . just be glad that its not somthing with any decent size on it .

:lol: I know that well :p

cheers thats not a bad idea, maybe ill rub something like that on my hands before handling and see what happens, hes not stressed either, hes so comfortable in his enclosure, hes really active constantly out and about but as soon as you get him out he turns plain old evil haha.

hang on, you don't wash your hands before handling your animals?? do you wash them in-between? there's probably scents on your hands that he doesn't like or thinks are food.
using hospital grade hand sanitizer to wash my hands, I've never had an issue with a bitey snake, unless it was feed time.
imo - feed him more, and see if that settles him down.

hang on, you don't wash your hands before handling your animals?? do you wash them in-between? there's probably scents on your hands that he doesn't like or thinks are food.
using hospital grade hand sanitizer to wash my hands, I've never had an issue with a bitey snake, unless it was feed time.
imo - feed him more, and see if that settles him down.[/QUOTE]

i was thinking the aloe vera part, i just wash my hands with soap usually

[QUOTE,cheers mate, im sure people like you must get off on trying to belittle people via forums, i take my hat off to you.
i usually dont give people like you the pleasure of a reply coz im sure thats what you want, but its people like you that ruin forums for everyone else[/QUOTE]

Looking at your tattoos your obviously not a 12 year old struggling with their first snake, it just amazes me everytime I read these threads. " My spotted bites I'm going to have to get rid of it" I would almost understand if it was a large python of some sort but a spotted? You took on the responsibility of the snake and the first little love bite and you want to get rid of it. It's people like you who lack fore thought and end up with neglected animals because their to scared to deal with them.

So like I said get something more cuddly

mine did that fo rages when i got him but he has stoped it now. you just gota give it time and dont freak out when you get bitten or watch him and learn what he does befor he bites then move say a finger and move him so it distracts him.. it works for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back