My stay in Brisbane city

Discussion in 'Field Herping and Reptile Studies' started by AlexandreRoux, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexandreRoux

AlexandreRoux Not so new Member

9 days in Brisbane and I spend some time in some "wild" places so I've met some interesting guys !

I've visited (very quickly) the Mt Coot-tha botanical garden, a nice experience.
    Dwarf tree frog, Green Tree snake, Cane toad, Asian House gecko, Water dragons, some turtles and some water skinks.

[​IMG]
    Litoria fallax

[​IMG]
    Dendrelaphis punctulatus

Of course, I've also visited the City botanical garden, and that's a place where you can meet some unexpected things !!!
    Still many Cane toad and Dwarf tree frogs, water dragons, Saw-shelled turtle, some skinks and, an unexpected big Carpet python !

[​IMG]
    Intellagama lesueurii

[​IMG]
    Myuchelys latisternum

[​IMG]
    Morelia spilota

[​IMG]
    Morelia spilota

2. Channaz

Channaz Guest

Great photos!

3. Drazzy

Drazzy Subscriber Subscriber

nice finds!

4. AlexandreRoux

In the night of wednesday (2 weeks ago), I received a text message saying "Hey Alex, one of my friend have a snake to remove in her house, will you come?". Of course I can't say "No I prefer stay in my room and do nothing".
    I went with Eliott, a local herper, in his friend house. She have some rats and that's why the snake was really interested in this room.

Arriving there, we found a medium sized Carped python slowly enterring the room.
    Not really affraid by us.

[​IMG]
    Morelia spilota

[​IMG]
    Morelia spilota

We released it next to a cemetery, in a wild bush area.

[​IMG]
    Morelia spilota

More pictures I took these last weeks
    First picture, a Tawny frogmouth in the Brisbane city botanical garden a few days ago:

[​IMG]
    Podargus strigoides

Then, I spent 2 days with herpers, but the weather was not very nice.
    Anyway, we've seen wonderful reptiles and frogs, that was a very nice time with very nice guys !

We went to Mt Glorious road, to d'Aguilar NP, and we found 2 snakes on the road.
    The first was a Stephen's Banded Snake (Hoplocephalus stephensii), my first venomous of Australia (elapid of course) !!!
    The second was an Eastern small-eyed snake (Cryptophis nigrescens), another venomous, a wonderful snake to my mind.
    We've been to a nice place with nice toilets, and very nice visitors in the toilets (I found a big Green tree frog in the toilet !!!). But there were another frog in a better place, better for pictures.

[​IMG]
    Mixophyes fasciolatus

[​IMG]
    Litoria caerulea

[​IMG]
    Hoplocephalus stephensii

[​IMG]
    Cryptophis nigrescens

The day after, we've been to Broadwater lake, near Dalby, looking for Black snakes and Red-bellied black, but we just found some skinks and geckos, an Eastern Robust Slider and kangaroos...
    I saw a big monitor crossing the road, but too far from me to identify the species.

[​IMG]
    Lerista punctatovittata

We spent the end of the day with a small walk in a place where Red-bellied black snakes occurs but we just found a Green tree snake. It was probably too hot.

[​IMG]
    Dendrelaphis punctulatus

These times are pretty quiet so I have a few pictures to share but not a lot. And the weather is not good since 2 days, and it seems like it will not be better before some time...

I spent 1 day next to Moreton island with a company and I had a lot of fun but I was there for dolphins and the fact is that I only saw 2 dolphins during the traject from the coast to the island and they didn't stop as they were supposed to...
    I was happy to snorkel the Tangalooma wrecks with a big Wobbegong (I would have liked to film it but my camera was full of fog (first time I used it in the water)).
    Some raptors, big sea turtles and 3 Dugongs in the end of the tour during their famous "eco cruise" I've paid so much for, which was only 35 minutes long...

[​IMG]
    Haliastur sphenurus

[​IMG]
    Dugong dugong

After that cruise, I was a little bit deceived but marine life is not previsible and that seems like we were not lucky, even if we expected something else from this tour, Dugong were just awesome so we'll keep it in mind better than the fact that we didn't see dolphins as we used to hope.
    We came back home crossing the Brisbane city's botanical garden, just a good way to take pictures of a friendly bird and hear the great sound of the Kookaburras.

[​IMG]
    Gallirallus philippensis

The day after, the weather was great, not too hot and we decided to come back to the city's botanical garden at night. As we found a python the first time and a beautiful frogmouth during the second time we were ready for new surprises !
    More than a surprise, we were just looking at a sleeping duck in a pound when I walked next to a big tree and saw something climbing on... That was a young Carpet python !

[​IMG]
    Morelia spilota

Now I'm looking for a campervan to move across Australia looking for some farm job. I need money to pay my "winter" travel to Cairns and my "summer" venue to New Zealand looking for dolphins ! I also plan a dive with the Great white shark (my biggest dream ever but without a cage would be better, but impossible for me).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  5. AUSHERP

AUSHERP Well-Known Member

Great finds Alex, looks like you are enjoying Austalia. The stephens banded is awesome....

6. marcus0002

marcus0002 Guest

If you end up in NZ go to Gisborne (north island east coast, 1 hr flight from auckland) and go out on a fishing charter and tell them you want to see dolphins. We have no shortage of them and oher marine mammals there

[​IMG]

This orca tried to bite the fish off my hook and got hooked himself.

7. AlexandreRoux

You just enjoyed my mind, our biggest dream in NZ is to see killer whales !!!
    Thanks !

Rainy days here in Brisbane !
    That let me some time to find a vehicle and I've found it ! Will show you soon when I'll have it (that's an old rusty campervan but with a low mileage and good mechanical !).

But today, the sun was friendly enough to give us some time to go out from our room !
    The rain just helped the birds to sing higher than ever !
    The only nice surprise thanks to the rain was our new flatmate ! A young Common House Gecko !

[​IMG]
    Hemidactylus frenatus

Thanks to the sun we had this afternoon, we just moved to a little park, still in the city but next to the river and that was great to hear the birds, I missed it !

[​IMG]
    Strepera graculina

[​IMG]
    Coracina novaehollandiae

And what a nice surprise ! Surprise is the good word because I just didn't believed it when I saw it, and I was thinking it was just a worm !
    I've looked under a rock, I was thinking that I will not find anything, but I was wrong. Right here, under this rock, I saw it thinking it was a worm and then... wow !!! It started moving like a snake and very fast, I understood it was a Brahminy Blind Snake !

[​IMG]
    What a small snake !

[​IMG]
    Ramphotyphlops braminus

[​IMG]
    Ramphotyphlops braminus

A great surprise that make my day !

8. PythonLegs

PythonLegs Very Well-Known Member

Shame you missed the dolphins on Moreton..the dolphin hand feeding is the best thing about the place.

9. AlexandreRoux

I don't want to see dolphin feeding, that's not good for dolphins !
    I prefer wild one living like wild animals !

10. Porkbones

Porkbones Well-Known Member

Always had dolphins follow us and swim around the boat while heading out fishing in Nz.

11. Bushman

Bushman Very Well-Known Member

You've taken some very good photos of some interesting critters there Alexandre.
    It's good to see that you've already found a decent assortment in your trip so far.

12. AlexandreRoux

I've a van, but I have to receive papers before leaving so that's quite long to wait...
    The first time I drove the van from the place I bought it to the Home, I've met a nice lizard !
    I love that species, blue-tongued are really beautifuls !

[​IMG]
    Tiliqua scincoides

Tonight, I've been to Mt Glorious, a road where I've already been before but I was not driving last time !
    I tried to find owls and that was not really what we expected but we've been lucky to seen 2 snakes and 1 owl during the travel. (In fact there were 3 snakes but the first we met was a DOR Green tree snake).

[​IMG]
    Vermicella annulata

[​IMG]
    Hemiaspis signata

[​IMG]
    Ninox novaeseelandiae

13. AlexandreRoux

Taking some time to herp now, because I can move and I realy enjoy it !
    Still on Mt Glorious, a very nice spot !

[​IMG]
    Vermicella annulata

[​IMG]
    Trichosurus vulpecula

[​IMG]
    Paraembolides boycei

[​IMG]
    Ramphotyphlops wiedii

[​IMG]
    Ramphotyphlops wiedii

[​IMG]
    Morelia spilota

[​IMG]
    Podargus strigoides

14. Great stuff Alexandre. You've alread seen more Australian wildlife in it's natural habitat than most of the members here :)!

Jamie

15. Emilie

Emilie Active Member

Can't believe how much u find. We spend hours every week for the last year and do far only 5 species of snakes and a few monitors/dragons/skinks

16. AlexandreRoux

Tonight I've been to Oxley Creek Common with my friend Elliot. I missed a snake but the night was nice. I just regret the number of mosquitoes there !!!

[​IMG]
    Podargus strigoides

[​IMG]
    Limnodynastes peronii

[​IMG]
    Tropidonophis mairii

[​IMG]
    Tropidonophis mairii

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  17. jedi_339

jedi_339 Well-Known Member

Hey Alexandre,

Nice photos and glad to see you enjoying your trip so far, you've seen some great animals in such a short time.

That Litoria nasuta is actually a striped marsh frog or Limnodynastes peronii.

J

18. AlexandreRoux

Yeah thanks, someone noticed me also I was wrong on this frog !

- - - Updated - - -

I will move to Gayndah on Tuesday, does anyone knows this place?
    Will not be able to connect the forum so please answer my e-mail address. I will be looking for Death adders but don't know if there are some of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.