N00b Just Need Some Pygmy Beardie Advise

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven_neves

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Kinda new here.

Hoping I might be able to get a little advice on an enclosure for a Pygmy Beardie. I used to have a Diamond Python in a previous life, but this is the first time i've looked at getting a lizard, so i'm pretty green. The snake enclosure I had was wired and ready to go - never had to do anything to get it running.

For the Beardie I managed to get a medium sized Exo Terra enclosure and it came with what I guess is a UV Lamp. (a few pics attached). Also came with some red sand that the dude said had been microwaved.

I'm assuming this UV lamp isn't going to generate enough heat though and i'm going to have to get an additional heat lamp/globe to run alongside?

So, this is what I think i'm missing:
1. Heat Globe (if the UV lamp isn't enough)
2. Themostat (I've head 'Habistat' are good, but they look like I'll have to hard wire them?)
3. Water bowl etc.

Just seeing if i'm on the right path?

Finally, does anyone have any recommendations on where to get hold of a hatchling in Melbourne? Reptiles Down Under listings appear to mostly in NSW.

Thanks!

Adam

Lizard 1.0.JPG

Lizard 2.0.JPG

Correction - like like an Infared lamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering its a glass enclosure it will lose heaps of heat during winter so i would invest in heat mat or/and a night heat ie kinetic.
In regards to hatchlings, try postin a wanted on down under.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

A few things that might help.

Get a new UVB light, they lose most of their UVB in 6 months of use.

Secondly, buy new sand as substrate - even if it has been microwaved, it may be able to still carry virus's like the sunshine virus.

Thirdly, F10 disinfect the entire enclosure please - stops the spread of virus.

Finally, many people on this site will say don't be a tight ass when it comes to thermostats - May I just say, I have bought 13 of these thermostats and they are only $20 - NOT ONE HAS FAILED and they all keep the EXACT temperature i want them to +-1 degree. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281418169471?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hope this helps :)

Oh, and ditch the infrared lamp and get a phillips 100W spot globe from bunnings - $7 a pop and they work great!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Seven_neves

You might struggle to get a hatchy in Melb. Happy to point you in the direction of some NSW peeps that keep them if you're interested. Don't know if they have hatchies ready to go though.

Okay,I keep & breed pygmies;get rid of the stupid red lamp( I don't understand the retards that keep selling them),you want something that looks like the sun,bright white light :).Philips lamps 40-60 W plus a 10UV lamp works fine
I keep mine in wooden enclosures 2'x2'x2' so a pair in a 4' is fine as long as you have a few hides and basking spots.The pic you have provided shows something better suited to an arboreal species,you really need more floor space than air space for any type of beardy.
Also I don't use thermo's all my enclosures are controlled by timers.Any thing else you need just ask

Last edited:
Wow - sorry guys, I must have notifications turned off somewhere in my login as I didn't get a single one for your advice in this thread :/

Firstly, i've since learnt I need an advanced licence here in Vic to get a pygmy, so i'm forced to go a bit bigger - I've got a contact for a breeder here from a friend, but if he can't help me I might have to consider NSW for a hatchie.

I understand what you're saying re: floorspace Rick and may end up having to look for a wider enclosure before I go any further, also when you (and Alex) say Phillips Lamps, like literally just a Phillips incandescent globe I'd get from say Bunnings?

As a new starter i'd be a little daunted not using thermostats as I'd really hate to turn my 7 YO's new pet into jerky. I found a Microclimate 300 secondhand the other day - Do you think i'd need different Day & Night heats in this instance because this model only offers one. I live in Melbs so it can get nippy at night this time of year. (I used to run my diamond python 24/7 - not sure if that was the way to go)

Finally, I've been told Amazing Amazon in Glen Waverley is a recommended place to get accessories (i'll need to get more sand as above and also bowls and food on a regular basis) - don't suppose there's any Melbournites in the thread that would like to weigh in on that?

Thanks again all - appreciate your input.

Adam

Hi Adam,
the Phillips spot globes are the ones you want. They come in 60, 75, and 100w. I would suggest the 100w should get you the right temps. While you're at Bunnings, get yourself some washed playsand. It needs to be dried out before putting a dragon on it, as it can be damp in the bag. Perfectly fine, and a lot cheaper than "reptile " sand. You don't NEED to provide night time heat for beardies, but a lot of people do for hatchies in their first year. You will need a different heat source, to imitate night time. Even the red globes can hurt the beardie's eyes. A heat mat or cord, or even one of the purple night globes will do. It doesn't need to be as hot, just take some of the chill out of the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back