n00b shingleback questions, help please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the71hiace

Reaction score
hey guys, i know you probably get this all the time, but i am really interested in keeping lizards as pets, and i have my heart set on a shingeback, they are gorgeous, and i do realise the potential length of the commitment ect ect.
so here are the things i need to know.
i know how big they get (i have seen them in their natural habitat at rather impressive sizes.) but how big of an inclosure does that warrant?
what kind of temperature is ideal and is hibernation necessary?
diet and dietary requirements?
enclosure advice, is it appropriate to customize a fish tank?
ideal habitat in enclosure?
and ANY other advice you can give to a first time reptile owner.
thanks heaps :)

also, where can i get one?

My mate Lizardman5 would be happy to help you'
Ill tell you all i know
They need a light
Heat rock
Large hide
and they eat fruit
and meal worms

sorry but theres a idea type in shingle back care sheet's

4ft long tank, 2ft deep, at least 1ft high. Melamine to minimise heat release.
Basking spot temps of 36c are good.
Diet:
cellpadding="4" border="1" width="100%" style="width: 100%; width: 100%; width: 100%; width: 100%; width: 100%"
|-
| Greens
| Vegetables
| Fruit
|-
|
  • escarole
  • kale
  • collards
  • parsley
  • clover
  • dandelion greens
  • turnip greens
  • mustard greens
  • beet greens-only occasionally
  • spinach-only occasionally
  • NEVER iceberg lettuce
| valign="top" |
  • broccoli
  • okra
  • peas
  • green beans
  • zucchini
  • squash
  • grated carrots
  • sweet potato
  • bell pepper
  • frozen mixed vegetables
|
  • figs
  • kiwi
  • papaya
  • melon
  • apples
  • grapes
  • dates
  • peaches
  • apricots
  • strawberries
    (seeds removed)
  • plums
  • bananas (peeled)
|-

(copied from a bearded dragon site, the diet is practically the same)
Feed dog food mixed with the above.

For substrate it's all up to you (newspaper, kritter's crumble, desert sand etc)
Give it a large enough hide rock.

Finally, give them a small dish of water once a week, as they are susceptible to respiratory infections. I'd say leave the enclosure door open and stay with the lizard, making sure it drinks, and once it completely stops, take the dish out.
This is what I do with my Centralian Blue-tongue.

I too am after a bobtail, but have yet to find a seller. So If anyone can inform me, i too would be greatful :)

Don't use a heat rock. Use a mat or a bulb/lamp thing

I can send you some info this afternoon but on a quick note I'm sorry but I don't agree with the water once a week thing. All my stu pus have water readily available

Pet City in Cockburn had them last time I was in maybe give them a call.

we have 2 sellers in perth. Both pet shop owners and both in it to make a buck. Nothing under $250. What annoys me is they take one from the bush and then slap a big price tag on it. I can go and get one for free right now and save the big bucks. Its no different to what they are doing! But unfortunately i could not live with myself stealing something from the wild. So i pay someone $250 to steal it for me. go figure.

we have 2 sellers in perth. Both pet shop owners and both in it to make a buck. Nothing under $250. What annoys me is they take one from the bush and then slap a big price tag on it. I can go and get one for free right now and save the big bucks. Its no different to what they are doing! But unfortunately i could not live with myself stealing something from the wild. So i pay someone $250 to steal it for me. go figure.

I could be wrong but don't people with a takers license have to pay a certain fee for every animal they take? Also I'm pretty sure they have to obtain permission from the owner of the land the reptile was taken from , quarantine the animal etc. Not to mention the taker's icense alone costs them $1000 a year! So it's not as easy as just picking a reptile up and slapping a price tag on it. As I said, could be wrong.

If you are interested the shinglebacks at the shop I mentioned were going for 135 each, so if you really want one it might be worth the short trip south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back