Name this sound...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessb

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We have just moved to a new place near Pittwater in Sydney. At night we keep hearing something really noisy, but we can't identify it. It makes a noise like a door creaking shut and it repeats it from dusk until about 10pm.

It sounds like a frog (and our neighbours have a pond, so it makes sense) but seems waaay too loud.

Do we have frogs who have learnt to use microphones, or could it be some type of owl?

I would say that if it sounds like a door creaking and shutting, then it is probably a door shutting, but it may be a haunted door.

You have just moved, so it could be the old residents of the house trying to send you a message, are there cold spots, or whispers, or moving shadows.

O well let us know tomorrow ..... if you make it through the nigh... have a good sleep

Frogs can be crazy loud though, so that is probably the best bet. Other then that, maybe its the roof or foundation contracting at night from expantion during the day?

No it's definitely an animal - no ghosties or ghoulies in our little home! I can hear it outside, probably in a neighbour's yard. Could it be a bird? Like a frogmouth or something?

Nah frogmouths don't make noises like that, they kinda sound like a... baby bird that is hungry, like a young seagull but hardly never make any noise too so unlikely to be them.

Possum? Massively annoying when they are on the roof.

We live in a house (as many do) but ajoined to my backyard is a golfcourse (just to brag here, it was used in the PGA tour when it was here:D) anyway...we heard the same thing about 2 weeks ago, and have been every night, up in the trees, and it sounded like creaking..which was trippy because there was no wind for them to creak. So I did some investigating and it's actually some sort of bird. I can't give you a definate answer as to what kinda...I'd assume an owl maybe...but yes. It's a bird and I hope they stop soon because it's veeerry annoyin

i had some litoria cloris's a few years back that i was breeding and they got stupid loud every now and then especially around breeding time. so it may be another litoria species of frog. best way is to get out there and find the bugger.

Grab a torch and go look see. Then let us know what it was. Most strange screamy noises around our place are possums or foxes.

We have bleating tree frogs (litoria dentata) near our place which are extremely loud and call during the evening. Can't really describe the sound but this site has a good sound clip of it. http://www.geocities.com/gem3007/litdenta.htm

The one I hear is the lower pitched one which you hear briefly in the of the recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back