Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ned_fisch

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My dad has been working away for a few weeks, and has been listening to Abc radio, he heard that NP&W are trying to stop X breeding of Australian reptiles, in Australia, as they don't want the Australian reptile keeping industry turning into a hybrid mad country like USA.

I don't know to much more on it, just word of mouth that I thought you guys would like to hear about it.

In my personal opinion, I think it's great. We gotta keep the beautiful Aussie snakes pure, and natural. A few people out there doing hybrids will keep it it interesting, but it would be a shame to see it become like the USA.

Has anybody else heard much more on this, if so, share what you've heard.

Havent heard anything either. I'm an ecologist so most people would probably think I would be totally averse to hybridisation but it actually doesn't bother me personally. As long as captive bred snakes of questionable heritage aren't being released into the wild as a regular event I cant really see it causing any maor issue from an environmental perspective.

I see your point, and do agree with it. But I don't want our snakes being crossed with everything known to
man. I don't wanna see the Hybrid python population becoming greater than the pure snakes. Now, that is many years off, if it did happen. I like to see some nice crosses, but I agree with NP's decisions, to a degree. They want to stop it, Completely.

If NP&W are trying stop x breeding reps then I think they are a little too late, there's so much x breeding going on that it is near impossible to stop now. If they wanted to stop it then they should have done something about it years ago, even then I think they would have had buckleys. I'm not a fan of it but it's here to stay and that's the way it is.

The thing is National parks listings are bonkas, at least in NSW. They list every subspecies differently and half the species listed have had new species described which are probably in captivity. So while stopping hybdridisation across species might end up individual if they follow their listings they will end up stopping crossing things at even subspecies level (which is in my opinion ok), while in other cases allowing full cross species hybridisation.

It would be good to know who has been interviewed on the ABC program and by whom. When did this take place? ABC recordings are recoverable, can you come up with more details?

Damn Gordo, why did you have to ask that question? :)

Define cross breeding in snakes.

Crossing species. I don't think anyone could question crossing sub-species as some one could propose a valid argument that there is no such thing as subspecies.

It would be good to know who has been interviewed on the ABC program and by whom. When did this take place? ABC recordings are recoverable, can you come up with more details?

I don't know to much more about it, nor does my dad. Though it was over the Rural Queensland abc, he was in St George. Maybe you can call
them to find out?

My dad didn't hear any names of who was interviewed.

If NP&W are trying stop x breeding reps then I think they are a little too late, there's so much x breeding going on that it is near impossible to stop now. If they wanted to stop it then they should have done something about it years ago, even then I think they would have had buckleys. I'm not a fan of it but it's here to stay and that's the way it is.

I agree that it's way to late, and that's their own problem. But I guess they may be trying to cut it down, atleast? I'm not sure, it could be all crap too.

It's never too late, cross-bred species can be identified but would the DEH (or whoever) be keen to invest the effort and expenses? I doubt it. In Qld, you would have to commit incredible offence resulting in serious environmental damage before the DERM would prosecute. They have no money.

That's true, it could all be a bluff too. Just to make people think twice, but if that was the case, why on rural abc? Not to many people would hear it that are snake keepers.

The harm of genetic snake charm ABC Rural radio

Have a search and it will be found :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back