Native plants for lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash1990

Reaction score
Hey

Does anyone have a list or knowledge of what native plants Blue Tongues and Water Dragons will eat in the wild?

I'm in the process of setting up a lizard pit and wanting to put in some plants that the lizards can eat.
Have done a few searches but not much luck.

Additionally does anyone know what plants are toxic.

Thanks in advance

Now back to Google...

Ive wondered this myself. If it were me, I would look at putting in some tussock grasses which would be probably non-toxic and provide extra cover. I also like the look of Grass Trees (Xanthorrea) in lizard pits.

Flowers & plants:
rose petals, dandelions, dahlias, hibiscus, nasturtiums, alfalfa, astible, baby tears, basil - leaves & flowers , Chinese lantern - flowers, Carnations - petals, Chamomile, English, Clover, Day lilies, Dracaena, Fennel, Ficus - leaves, Geranium - flowers & leaves, Grape - leaves & fruit, Impatiens, Hollyhock, Lavender, Mint, Oregano, Pansies - flowers, Phlox, Rosemary - leaves & flowers, Spider plant - leaves (sap may irritate) Split leaf philodendron - leaves, Squash flowers, Thyme - leaves & flowers, Yucca - flowers, Wandering Jew - leaves (sap may irritate)

Alfalfa
Astibe (no idea what this is!)
Baby's Tears
Basil (leaves and flowers)
Chinese Lantern (flowers)
Carnations (Petals)
Chamomile (English)
Clover
Dahlia (flowerhead)
Day Lilies (flowers
Dracaena (cornplant)
Fennel
Ficus (leaves)
Geranium (flowers, leaves)
Grape (leaves, fruit) - not ornamental grape ivies
Impatiens
Johnny Jump-Up (flowers)
Hibiscus - Tropical and Blue - (flowers, leaves)
Hollyhock (leaves, flowers)
Hens and Chicks
Lavender
Maple (leaves)
Mesquite (leaves)
Mint
Mulberry (leaves)
Nasturtium (flowers, leaves)
Oregano
Pansies (flowers)
Pea, Green Bean (leaves, pods)
Peppermint
Petunia
Phlox
Pinks (petals)
Rose (petals)
Rosemary (leaves, flowers)
Sage (leaves, flowers)
Spider Plant (leaves - sap may be a skin irritant)
Split-Leaf Pholodendron (leaves)
Squash/Zucchini (flowers)
Thyme (leaves, flowers)
Violets - not African Violets - (leaves, flowers)
Wandering Jew (leaves - sap may be a skin irritant)
Yucca (flowers)
Greens Vegetables Fruit

style="width: 100%"
|-
| valign="top" width="50%" style="width: 50.0%; padding: .75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt" |
  • escarole
  • kale
  • collards
  • parsley
  • clover
  • dandelion greens
  • turnip greens
  • mustard greens

|-

|-
| width="50%" style="width: 50.0%; padding: .75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt" |
  • broccoli
  • okra
  • peas
  • green beans
  • zucchini
  • squash
  • grated carrots
  • sweet potato
  • bell pepper
  • frozen mixed vegetables

|-

|-
| width="50%" style="width: 50.0%; padding: .75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt" |
  • figs
  • kiwi
  • papaya
  • melon
  • apple
  • grapes
  • dates
  • peaches
  • apricots
  • strawberries (seeds removed)
  • plums
  • bananas (peeled)

|-

Last edited:
hey, i have a ruby salt bush, wild mint and alo plants in my pit, they love them :)

BigWillieStyles: I'm putting some grass trees and tussocks in but I don't know if lizards would eat them often

Jeannine: How many of those are native?

miss2: Thanks :) ruby salt bush looks nice

to be honest im not sure, its a list i was given by someone in here and some from the net most do grow in our gardens and others are herbs

We have a number of native figs and all the rest on the list are exotics.

Despite having spent a lot of time in the field observing both dragons, I can honestly say I never observed either eating plant material. However, I do have some knowledge of native plants and can make up a list of those with edible fruits and large or nectar rich flowers. The only edible foliage plant I know of is "Warrigal Greens" also known as "Native Spinach" and Pigface.

Blue

Does anyone know where one could get a small Ficus tree?

I'm in Burwood area and have no idea where any nurseries are?

Pinoy,

Are you after a small growing fig or a small version of alarge fig?
Do you want an ornamental fig or one that produces ediblefruit?
If edible, do you want the fruit for your own consumption or for your lizards?
Do you want an Australian native fig species?

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
miss2 can u remember where you got the ruby salt bush from please? i reckon that would grow great here and i could sell off the excess to pay for my crickets :lol: win win for me

also dont forget to look in ebay, sometimes u can pick things up cheaper then from a nursery, though most only sell seeds and not the actual plants

Hi Jeannine,

Ruby Salt Bush is normally propagated by seed or cuttings. I have not tried myself but apparently it is easily done both ways. The following sites sell the seeds…. http://www.australianseed.com/product_info.php/pName/enchylaena-tomentosa-ruby-salt-bush-bush-foodand http://www.quicksales.com.au/vshops/item.aspx?itemid=11361637&shopid=612
The nearest nursery I could find to you that sells plants of this species is as on this sheet … http://www.barossa.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Local_Native_Plant_List_2007_flyer_box.xls
And following is some information on propagation and cultivation… http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp13/enchylaena-tomentosa.html

I have seven seeds here that you are welcome to, gratis. They are 8 years old but should still be viable. All I need is a PO Box to mail them to.

The berries can vary in colour from a deep scarlet (ruby) through orange to deep yellow. They are only small but can be quite tasty. The flavour varies a bit between individual plants – some are better than others. I quite like them, which is more than I can say for some of the bush tucker. There are also two subspecies, one with quite grey and felty leaves (tomentosa), the other with greener, smoother leaves (glabra). From memory, my seeds are from a glabra.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
hi blue, thanks for that, i actually emailed australian seed company and asked if their ruby salt bush was safe for bearded dragons, considering the disclaimer i read on the site about it maybe not having the medicinal purposes its suppose to have (or words to that effect)

they emailed me back and said they had no idea

oh wow thank you for that offer blue, i most certainly would love to take you up on it and will PM you my p o box, as i said excess im happy to pass along to other owners unless of course i find i like them myself
:D

Pinoy,

What is the story? Google will get you the nurseries below andthe Yellow Pages is nearly as easy to use. All of which you know.

Flower Power · (02) 9747 5555
27 Mitchell St · Enfield · Garden Extra Nursery &Landsc… · (02) 9569 3200
58- 60 Crystal St · Petersham · Auburn Garden Centre · (02)9649 2648
rear 62 Auburn Rd · Auburn · Moore's Nursery · (02) 9649 9480
22 Albert Rd · Auburn · Riverview Nursery · (02) 9874 4545
736 Victoria Rd · Ermington

Corner Parramatta Rd & Freder… · Ashfield · Bunnings ·(02) 9704 2400
23-29 Parramatta Rd · Lidcombe · Bunnings · (02) 9462 0300
71 Reserve Rd · Artarmon · Bunnings Warehouse · (02) 97985255
Cnr Parramatta Rd & Frederick… · Ashfield · Bunnings · (02)9412 3533
179 Victoria Ave · Chatswood

If you are genuinely after a fig...

Are you after a small growing fig or a small version of alarge fig?
Do you want an ornamental fig or one that produces ediblefruit?
If edible, do you want the fruit for your own consumption or for your lizards?
Do you want an Australian native fig species?

I am happy to assist, just need to know where you are goingwith this.

Blue

Thanks Blue, I'll take your word for it, won't take 4 pages to convince me ;)

I did a quick search on google for "ficus Burwood" and all that was coming up was Burwood council facts about Ficus trees, not where to get them.

After looking for nurseries in the area, it came up with some but none had a site where I could search to see if they sold Ficus trees. Lastly, I tried Bunnings site, but they don't list plants they sell either.

When I saw this thread, I thought I'd ask here as well.

Last edited:
..why do the seeds need to be removed from the strawberries? had a friend who had strawberries growing in the bush, blueys would come and eat the berries...
do they eat blackberries or raspberries?

good question shane, i wonder the same thing about the strawberries

i have a packet of frozen raspberries and blueberries in the freezer that i will take a few out of now and then, defrost and give to my BD

... I thought I'd ask here as well.
Pinoy,

My apologies. I have edited my post accordingly now I understand. If you can answer the questions I can help out – there are around 755 species of ficus that come in all shapes and sizes. There are also around 250 cultivated varieties (cultivars).

Blue

I'd look at the lower growing native shrubs that have edible berries, there are lily pilys cutivated that only grow to about 50cm so would be a good height for a lizard pit, look at muntries as well. Other natives worth looking at would be native raspberry, warrigal spinach and then I would browse your local nursery to find herbs you like the look of. As far as grassy things most sedges would be too tough for them to be interested in I think but look at Lomandra, Carex and Xanthorrhea for grassy things to landscape with. :)

..why do the seeds need to be removed from the strawberries? had a friend who had strawberries growing in the bush, blueys would come and eat the berries...
do they eat blackberries or raspberries?
That is clearly a mistake. If you look at might the fruits around it: dates, peaches, apricots and plums, it might be appropriate to remove their seeds.

miss2 can u remember where you got the ruby salt bush from please? i reckon that would grow great here and i could sell off the excess to pay for my crickets :lol: win win for me

also dont forget to look in ebay, sometimes u can pick things up cheaper then from a nursery, though most only sell seeds and not the actual plants
hey, i got mine from our back paddock..... next to the feed shed LOL. but really i did, we have heaps growing wlild on our property

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back